Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Michigan based Progressive Rock bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Michigan based Progressive Rock bands?
    Posted: July 14 2018 at 16:11
Hello all,

I am just wondering if anyone knows of any Progressive Rock groups that are from Michigan, hopefully from the late 60's-80's but any era works.

At this point I am fully aware of Art in America, and a few other groups (having actually talked with members of a few Prog groups around, particularly from the Detroit and Genesee county areas).

But wondering if there are any you guys all know of.

Suggest any prog groups that come to mind. I just really wish to support local bands from my home state.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 17:35
I think Discipline -Parmenter's band - are from Detroit....and SRC which was a psych/proto prog band from the late 60's early 70's.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 18:25
Savage Grace was considered a prog/psych band in the late 60s/early 70s. Here's an interesting version of All Along the Watchtower with one helluva spastic calliope solo....

And as Wu mentioned, SRC doing their best Grieg...

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 19:40
Not Michigan but these guys were from Fort Wayne, Indiana..not far from Michigan as the crow flies.

Haquin
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 20:12
Was somewhat familiar with Savage Grace. I am still trying to track down CD or MP3 releases of their material (I know they did three albums if I remember).

Thanks for SRC! I will definitely hunt down their discography if possible.

I was just in Fort Wayne not to long ago actually lol (just a funny coincidence you mention that place). I don't recommend driving there. Pain in the butt. But I will definitely check out more of ETHOS, because that bit was really appealing to me.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 20:41
^ Ethos material is pretty solid imo....
Regarding Fort Wayne....I have a long family connection since my aunt and uncle lived there...and I live in northwest IN not far down the road from there...been many times to Fort Wayne in the old days.

You also might want to ck out Yezda Urfa...from Chicago and Gary. One of the guys still lives in La Porte, IN.
http://www.yezdaurfa.com/members/default.html

Edited by dr wu23 - July 14 2018 at 20:48
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 21:14
Already own all the Yezda Urfa discography actually (they are in my top 20 favorite prog bands actually).
sidc58 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidc58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 21:32
Styx are from Chicago. 

Edited by sidc58 - July 14 2018 at 22:13
"Why, she's no fun, she fell right over".--Nick Danger (Third Eye)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 22:00
^Not sure where you heard that but IZZ are actually from the NYC area.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 22:02
The only band I can think of is Von Frickle who are from Chicago. 

Edit: Sorry, someone else mentioned Chicago and I got confused. Obviously that's not in Michigan. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 14 2018 at 22:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 22:05
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I think Discipline -Parmenter's band - are from Detroit....and SRC which was a psych/proto prog band from the late 60's early 70's.

The band Tiles are also from Detroit. Anyone who likes moving pictures era Rush will probably enjoy them.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 14 2018 at 22:05
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 22:29
I'll give Tiles a try (just because from Michigan... honestly can't stand Rush though lol). Anything for my home state.

And there are quite a few Chicago area Prog bands: Styx (yes I consider them prog), Tortoise, Yezda Urfa, Oucho Sparks, Bangor Flying Circus, etc.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 09:34
I did this poll a number of years ago http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46718&KW=michigan.  It lists a number of Michigan based progressive rock bands.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 09:50
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I will check that out immediately.

Glad to see another Michigander.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 09:57
Welcome to the site.  There are a few of us Michiganders bouncing around here.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 10:37
I won't mention his name here but I had a good acquaintance (not really a good friend)who I knew a few years ago who was really into prog. He happened to be the director of a nature center I used to frequent in PA but was originally from Michigan. He lived in PA for many years like I did but a few years ago he moved back to Michigan. Why am I mentioning this? I'm not sure. I guess just to show that there are prog fans from Michigan out there. His taste was mostly in the classic old school style and was big into avant and RIO(as well as Italian prog)stuff. Needless to say I didn't stay in touch with him but I'm pretty sure he's still big into prog.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 15 2018 at 10:38
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 10:41
There was also a prog band from Detroit back in the 90's called House of Usher. It looks like they only put out one album though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 11:26
Yeah I can't find anything on House of Usher anymore. Tried researching them but the trails are hard to pick up.

And I'm an old school Prog person, myself lol. StarCastle, Pink Floyd, King Crimson (first four albums), Babylon, Gypsy, Gentle Giant, etc. Still trying to explore neo-Prog and stuff (prog metal is the absolute bane of my existence).
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 12:25
Originally posted by philipemery philipemery wrote:

Yeah I can't find anything on House of Usher anymore. Tried researching them but the trails are hard to pick up.

And I'm an old school Prog person, myself lol. StarCastle, Pink Floyd, King Crimson (first four albums), Babylon, Gypsy, Gentle Giant, etc. Still trying to explore neo-Prog and stuff (prog metal is the absolute bane of my existence).

Fave Starcastle album?

Also, if you hate Rush, you won't like Tiles. They're not a carbon copy band, but Rush is their primary influence, and Alex Lifeson plays on one of their albums.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 13:47
House of Usher at least have a profile page on this site but yeah their lone album has probably been out of print for a while. It's not a very highly rated album anyway so you probably aren't missing much. Check out gathering the Krums by Pye Fyte from the same year instead. No, they aren't from the mid west but instead Massachusetts(which deserves it's own prog thread. Lol). That one might be hard to come by too though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>