Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Michigan based Progressive Rock bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 14:10
Originally posted by philipemery philipemery wrote:

Was somewhat familiar with Savage Grace. I am still trying to track down CD or MP3 releases of their material (I know they did three albums if I remember).

Thanks for SRC! I will definitely hunt down their discography if possible.

Actually, there is a compilation "The Complete Savage Grace" on Amazon, as well as many SRC releases.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 14:22
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Yeah I can't find anything on House of Usher anymore. Tried researching them but the trails are hard to pick up.

And I'm an old school Prog person, myself lol. StarCastle, Pink Floyd, King Crimson (first four albums), Babylon, Gypsy, Gentle Giant, etc. Still trying to explore neo-Prog and stuff (prog metal is the absolute bane of my existence).

Fave Starcastle album?

Also, if you hate Rush, you won't like Tiles. They're not a carbon copy band, but Rush is their primary influence, and Alex Lifeson plays on one of their albums.

Since I'm a pretty big Rush fan maybe that explains why I like Tiles. :D Enchant is another band who are similar to Rush(not as much as Tiles though)but they are from California and not the mid west. Interestingly enough though Rush first broke big in Cleveland(which I suppose is kind of the mid west isn't it?)not counting their home country of Canada. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 14:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Since I'm a pretty big Rush fan maybe that explains why I like Tiles. :D Enchant is another band who are similar to Rush(not as much as Tiles though)but they are from California and not the mid west. Interestingly enough though Rush first broke big in Cleveland(which I suppose is kind of the mid west isn't it?)not counting their home country of Canada. 

Pre-Break Enchant is like Pictures/Windows-era Rush with full-time keys. I like those albums a lot.
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 17:42

Yeah I can't find anything on House of Usher anymore. Tried researching them but the trails are hard to pick up.

And I'm an old school Prog person, myself lol. StarCastle, Pink Floyd, King Crimson (first four albums), Babylon, Gypsy, Gentle Giant, etc. Still trying to explore neo-Prog and stuff (prog metal is the absolute bane of my existence).

Fave Starcastle album?

Also, if you hate Rush, you won't like Tiles. They're not a carbon copy band, but Rush is their primary influence, and Alex Lifeson plays on one of their albums.

My favorite StarCastle album is most certainly Fountains of Light (though their debut is a close second). Song of Times isn't too shabby, and I really enjoyed it, primarily as they were definitely exploring their own sound there more. I've actually met several ex-members of the band, including Terry Luttrell. Absolutely great bunch (RIP Gary Strater).

And sad. I mean I have definite respect for Rush and what they've done. Just never been my cup of tea. But I'll give Tiles a look anyways, just because I have sheer devotion to Midwest prog bands. These are my people lol.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 17:43
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Was somewhat familiar with Savage Grace. I am still trying to track down CD or MP3 releases of their material (I know they did three albums if I remember).

Thanks for SRC! I will definitely hunt down their discography if possible.

Actually, there is a compilation "The Complete Savage Grace" on Amazon, as well as many SRC releases.

Good to know. I'll check them all out.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 22:30
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Welcome to the site.  There are a few of us Michiganders bouncing around here.

My wife is a Michigander, and won't let me forget it!  (University of Illinois grad I am).  

Starcastle was the pride of Ubana/Champaign, but I'm sure they spent a lot of time up in Michigan.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 22:40

256 (Two Five Six) is from Grand Rapids.  They first came to my attention when they opened for Tears for Fears in 1993.  It was very unexpected for me but pleasing to hear a band in the 90s with a sound obviously influenced by Yes and Crimson and other 70s prog.  The following year they had a CD out locally, “Mirrorings of Every”, which was as excellent as their live performance.  I never followed them that closely, but they were still active into the 2000s, as I found out when they opened for Porcupine Tree in 2006, though they’d changed to a more stripped-down sound by then.

I just checked on Amazon and there were four copies for sale, though a little steep in price.  Highly recommended.

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 07:06
Matthew Parmenter's nephew Ryan Parmenter has released a couple of albums on the fringes of prog.

A prog metal band that you won't want to check out, but I thought that I would mention is Imminent Sonic Destruction (I saw them live when they were known as Mellotron). 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 08:33
THOUGHT INDUSTRY (progressive metal) was from Kalamazoo. One of my favorite weirdo metal bands.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 12:11
If you are interested, Tin Scribble's two albums are available on CDBaby,  https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/TinScribble.  Two of their members were also in House Of Usher.  House of Usher's drummer, Mark Evans, went on to play drums with Tiles. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 13:18
Looks like their discography is also available on Amazon as well.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 14:41

Fave Starcastle album?

My favorite StarCastle album is most certainly Fountains of Light (though their debut is a close second). Song of Times isn't too shabby, and I really enjoyed it, primarily as they were definitely exploring their own sound there more. I've actually met several ex-members of the band, including Terry Luttrell. Absolutely great bunch (RIP Gary Strater).

Ditto. It's easily their best, IMO. I couldn't get into the first one, at all. But with Fountains of Light they shook off most of the Yes wannabe dust and just made a good symph prog record, with great keyboard playing by Herb.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 14:45
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Matthew Parmenter's nephew Ryan Parmenter has released a couple of albums on the fringes of prog.

Ryan released his first album as RCP, titled Helvetica. Very quirky, less than cohesive. I played it once all the way through when it was brand new and couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
eustacedevere View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eustacedevere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 20:40
Hey, I have no idea if you still need more information on this topic or not, but I am going to provide anyway. In the early 70's, the Detroit rock scene was almost entirely dominated by psychedelic-blues fusion rock, kind of like L.A. Woman by the Doors. There were a few progressive rock bands, but they never were able to establish themselves and failed (the fate of most American prog bands at this time to be fair) and we have no accessible recordings for most of them. However, prog still found a way. King Crimson frequently came to Detroit, (1969, 1971,72,73) and certainly left an impact as many of the blues bands such as the Amboy Dukes and Rare Earth adopting aspects of prog into their music for a time and bands like Frijid Pink and SCR even making arguable prog albums (Earth Omen and Traveler's Tale respectively). Thankfully, some of the one-shot bands did get official releases, but unlike Northwind, most of them have psychedelic/blues influences, as that was the Detroit rock scene. The first band I can think of the fully embraced being a prog band is Lost Nation in 1970, an organ heavy band that realized one album and fell away. You can find the album and youtube. Then came Northwind and a few other bands I cannot find any music from (October and Quorum). Then we have Victor Peraino's Kingdom Come, a band from Detroit started by a keyboardist who worked with Arthur Brown, They made only one album I could find (which thankfully, is easy to find) and recently started making music again. Then we have MacArthur in 1979, a band from Saginaw that made an album which can be found on youtube and another one I can't find. Unfortunately, they are the last one from the 70's and most of the bands that followed were all pretty much prog metal (which I can't stand) or Neo-prog (which I barely tolerate).
I hope I was able to provide so help two years late.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 08:13
I just found out that the band Art in America are from Detroit. They are listed as symphonic on here but I would have thought of them more as crossover or prog related(since there is no prog pop category on here). Their best known song is probably the title track of their first album which is also the name of the band. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 14 2020 at 08:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12