0 [0.00%]
1 [3.13%]
4 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gentle Giant- The Missing Piece
    Posted: July 16 2018 at 07:23
Opinions seem to be split on this one. Some like it and some don't but many seem to be in the middle saying only half of it is good. What do you guys think?
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 07:27
I have to say that I like it. Over the years it has grown on me, and it has become a joyful listening experience.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 08:52
Option #3 fits the album best. The problem is the added piece: the non-prog songs. But about half of the album is good and Memories of Old Days is in the contest for the best GG song.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 08:52
I like it! 

I also like the

two 
last
albums...
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 10:05
Half and half...and I think "I Betcha Thought We Couldn't Do It" is a fun track Wink
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 13:17
I like it, despite the different style. Mediocre Giant is still more enjoyable in ways than some groups. You still have the strong and distinctive Derek Shulman vocals, interesting Ray Shulman bass lines, fun Gary Green guitar, tasteful Kerry Minnear keys, and solid Weathers drumming.

Edited by Boojieboy - July 16 2018 at 13:18
For Nobody's Bush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote For Nobody's Bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 18:07
It's not their best but it is still worthy, it's still Giant, still fun.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 03:15
HUGE GG fanboi; I'd say it's 50/50 on this album for me.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 06:08
The album's all over the place with no clear direction.  The band try a bit of everything, a classic rocker, a ballad, an attempt at punk, a bit of country...  It's an interesting album in terms of seeing how it all began to unravel for GG. 
The last four tracks from "As Old as You're Young" do hit the spot though, and the album is worth owning just for those last four. 

It's half and half for me, and I tend to skip straight to AOAYY and go from there...
Songs cast a light on you
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 06:25
two and a half stars - I'd take about any tune from their first four albums over the one song above average on this (Memories of Old Days) 
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 07:50
Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

You still have the strong and distinctive Derek Shulman vocals, interesting Ray Shulman bass lines, fun Gary Green guitar, tasteful Kerry Minnear keys, and solid Weathers drumming.

I added, "you kids don't know Gentle Giant?" to the beginning of that and said it in Homer Simpson's voice. 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 09:22
I think it is fantastic. My favorite of theirs, second only to Free Hand. I acknowledge how a lot of people feel in terms of comparison to their earlier catalogue, but The Missing Piece works wonders for me. There, I said it.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 14:05
Option number 3 and 4 are pretty much spot on. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 16:49
Great one two punch starts this album with "turning around" and "two weeks in Spain." Not sure why so many GG fans only like the second side. Sure, it's a little poppy but it's still good.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 19:08
I voted for "half of it is good", but that's me being really generous. After the magnificent Free Hand, Gentle Giant went downhill. The last four GG albums are unremarkable and rather mediocre.

Edited by Upbeat Tango Monday - July 21 2018 at 12:44
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 20:29
I absolutely like it. The only GG album that is somewhat iffy imo is Giant for a Day! and I even like that one. 
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 03:24
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

I voted for "half of it is good", but that's me been really generous. After the magnificent Free Hand, Gentle Giant went downhill. The last four GG albums are unremarkable and rather mediocre.
C'mon, Interview is an absolute banger! 
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 12:58
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

I voted for "half of it is good", but that's me been really generous. After the magnificent Free Hand, Gentle Giant went downhill. The last four GG albums are unremarkable and rather mediocre.

C'mon, Interview is an absolute banger! 

Yeah, Interview is the best of the last four, but I don't like it that much.

Oh, look, I wrote "been" instead of "being"
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 13:43
I like Interview a lot, well not completely, but it has some great tracks to my taste. Although I quite like some of The Missing Piece, on the whole "I don't care for it" suits me best. If "Got rid of it" was an option, then I would vote for that.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 13:57
Meh.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply