Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taking Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking Recommendations
    Posted: July 17 2018 at 09:36
Hello, I am wishing for some recommendations.

Right now I've been craving more bands with sounds more along the Eloy, Pink Floyd, Babylon, and ELP (I've also recently taken a liking to Magma, after my 20th attempt to try their music, so I guess Zeuhl is also on the table).

Any suggestions?
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 10:29
First band that came to mind was Weidorje because I think with them you get both a kind of psychedelic space rock and Zeuhl. And its a great album.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 12:07
If you like something between Syd Barrett & J.J. Cale (also some Beefheart in some songs), try John Parish.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 12:12
I think that you might enjoy Adonis by Anyone's Daughter. And you might want to check out Tako.

Edited by Logan - July 17 2018 at 12:13
Just a fanboy passin' through.
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 12:39
I will definitely give all of them a listen!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 18:09
Originally posted by philipemery philipemery wrote:

Right now I've been craving more bands with sounds more along the Eloy, Pink Floyd, Babylon, and ELP

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 09:32
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 21:14
As for Pink Floyd, I just got to know a band from Mexico called Ekos, which began doing Pink Floyd covers (thus the name). They have done two great albums (in spanish), particularly their secon one "Otra Dimensión". Another band I really want to get into that I understand has some Floyd sound, but haven't really heard so much yet, is SBB, from Poland. And in general polish bands seem to have that sound... there's the obvious one, Riverside (though that one is metal, but with some very nice Floyd sounding atmosphere), and the one I just got into latley, Georgius, with two really wonderful albums. Another one similar to Georgius (though not polish) is Soup, also their last album is wonderful (Remedies). And of course, there's Porcupine Tree... specially the live album "Coma Divine" has some very Floyd sounding moments which you should check out.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 02:07
ELP influenced bands -  a few off the top of my head:

Cairo (just the one album release but its a 'belter')
Le Orme (all good!)
Ars Nova ( The Japanese one not the Italian one , check out Book Of The Dead)
Par Lindh Project (check out Veni Vidi Vici especially)
Mastermind ( I only have their debut but its very good)

Eloy are a great band but its hard to find other bands like them.

Pink Floyd soundalikes are a million a dozen but I do love Dave Kerzner who is very influenced by them (more on the Dave Gilmour side). New World is the best album Pink Floyd never made!

not familiar with Babylon. What is their style?

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 14:11
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Volume One is their most derivative, or least original, album. I own it and do like it, it's a rocker. I own all of Mastermind's releases.

From III: Tragic Symphony ...one of their finest compositions. This builds to a volcanic intensity and blows its top! Bill Berends' climactic guitar solo is extraordinary. 

From the stupendous Angels of the Apocalypse, where they enlisted the amazing lead vocals of Lisa Bouchelle. Keyboard wizard Jens Johansson is also onboard. 

Their cover of ELP's "The Endless Enigma"!

From Excelsior!, their all-instrumental prog-fusion outing (released the year before Angels) that also features Jens.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 20:54
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

ELP influenced bands -  a few off the top of my head:

Cairo (just the one album release but its a 'belter')
Le Orme (all good!)
Ars Nova ( The Japanese one not the Italian one , check out Book Of The Dead)
Par Lindh Project (check out Veni Vidi Vici especially)

Eloy are a great band but its hard to find other bands like them.

Pink Floyd soundalikes are a million a dozen but I do love Dave Kerzner who is very influenced by them (more on the Dave Gilmour side). New World is the best album Pink Floyd never made!

not familiar with Babylon. What is their style?

I have never understood the connection many hear between Le Orme and ELP, besides the trio format. The music doesn't sound in any way similar to me. As for their sound, I find more similarities between ELP and Banco del Mutuo Soccorso.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 08:40
If anyone isn't aware that band Witsend eventually evolved into Syzygy who you also might want to check out.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 08:44
Glad to see Mastermind get some mentions on here. I've mentioned them on here on occasion before and was surprised how so few people seemed to know who they are(let alone actually hearing their music). They were one of the most important prog bands of the 90's but you rarely hear much about them anymore. Anyway, great band. Par Lindh Project and Cairo are good too(especially PLP). I've only heard the first two PLP but they were sort of like ELP meets Dream Theater. Great band. Believe it or not I haven't heard much Le Orme and never owned anything by them. The little I did hear was very good though.They are considered to be the best Italian band behind PFM and Banco though.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 08:59
Hi,

I do not like to suggest anything ... to me, part of the excitement of new music, is how it hits you when you discover it the first time, outwith anyone telling you anything. It surprises your ideas and values and thoughts and it excites you to no one, and those discoveries are always the best.

One's suggestion is OK, but you really have to learn for yourself, what it is that you are looking for, and for that to work correctly, you have to experiment with your own thoughts, not someone else's. something attracts you to it, go there and find out what it is, kind of thing, in the arts ... this is its greatest gift to you, and no one can give this to you since it is an internal feeling that is specific to you.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 20:55
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I do not like to suggest anything ... to me, part of the excitement of new music, is how it hits you when you discover it the first time, outwith anyone telling you anything. It surprises your ideas and values and thoughts and it excites you to no one, and those discoveries are always the best.

One's suggestion is OK, but you really have to learn for yourself, what it is that you are looking for, and for that to work correctly, you have to experiment with your own thoughts, not someone else's. something attracts you to it, go there and find out what it is, kind of thing, in the arts ... this is its greatest gift to you, and no one can give this to you since it is an internal feeling that is specific to you.

Yeah, but taking recommendations doesn't mean you have to like what was suggested. And there's so much music around, that it's always necessary to have something to choose what to check out next... and recommendations are as good an option as any other. Much more likely to find something you like if you are given a good thoughful recommendation than just choosing something new at random.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 22:03
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

In short... you posted on a "Recommendations" thread, to tell us you don't like giving recommendations... I feel the most logical course of action (without subverting the point of the thread) would be to not recommend things and just not post about this at all.

Also, I prefer recommendations, because I am a lazy person who is perfectly content to listen to Pink Floyd and nothing else. Recommendations are the only reason I explore other music anymore.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 22:47
You might like this one from Pure Reason Revolution

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 06:55
As well as the excellent Weidorje suggestion for Zeuhl I'd check out Eskaton, Shub Niggurath, Eider Stellaire, One Shot, Koenji Hyakkei & Setna
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 08:02
Originally posted by philipemery philipemery wrote:

In short... you posted on a "Recommendations" thread, to tell us you don't like giving recommendations... I feel the most logical course of action (without subverting the point of the thread) would be to not recommend things and just not post about this at all.

This is so sad and out of it, it's not funny.

My recommendation is that the user give himself/herself time to learn on their own, and that suggestions at that point become influences that sidetrack your own experience.

You are stating that, as if I do not check out some of the recommendations at all, and that is totally unfair ... I simply do not allow them to dominate my tastes and when I check something out. I prefer to have those pieces stand up and want to be counted on their own ... not have you or I prop them up as a valuable listen.

It's so sad ... just about all the suggestions ... it's as if this was just another top ten song that the listener was looking for ... well, I guess if that is what he/she is looking for ... go ahead ... but he/she will likely never learn for themselves what is right for them, or just not it!

Be a listening slave all your life ... that's what "top ten" is about!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 17:12
Your recommendation was that recommendations are bad... on a thread about recommending music.

And I don't particularly care. I like what I like. If I don't like a recommendation I don't. It doesn't detract from an experience at all. It makes no difference if I discover a band on my own or via a recommendation. If I like the music I like it, regardless of how I discovered them.

Go on and be an illogical party pooper. I'm sure telling people that they are "a listening slave" for taking recommendations gets you tons of friends and makes you really like-able, and doesn't make you come off as a commandeering and stuck up control freak.

If you have nothing useful to offer, please leave. I would rather listen to music than grouches.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>