Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some 60s/70s Speculative/Science Fiction films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which choices will you vote for? (multiple voting enabled)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [11.24%]
5 [5.62%]
1 [1.12%]
5 [5.62%]
6 [6.74%]
6 [6.74%]
3 [3.37%]
4 [4.49%]
2 [2.25%]
4 [4.49%]
5 [5.62%]
8 [8.99%]
3 [3.37%]
3 [3.37%]
4 [4.49%]
3 [3.37%]
5 [5.62%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [3.37%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [4.49%]
4 [4.49%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.12%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some 60s/70s Speculative/Science Fiction films
    Posted: July 17 2018 at 11:49
Something of a response to Icarium's recent sci-fi poll, so I did not duplicate Close Encounters of the Third Kind. These are ones that sprang to mind quickly, and I'm sure that I will regret the omission of many films, but there is so much that I love. It's not in any particular order, and I pan to do do a part two (for instance, I planned to include The Black Hole), and maybe an 80s one.

Feel free to mention any others, but I do still ask that you also mention any that you know and like off the list, and vote in the poll. I've made it multiple choice for any who wish to vote for multiple entries (I tend not to vote in my own polls). It would have been nice to include more of the Planet of the Apes films. You won't find Star Wars because it doesn't resonate with me (well, I do like Yoda), but Star Trek might make an appearance in the second poll.

Edited by Logan - July 17 2018 at 11:50
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 13:14
I would have to vote for A Clockwork Orange first but their are a lot of good ones here.
The Andromida Strain, Soylent Green, Planet of the Apes, Colossus: The Forbin Project, Omega Man
( to list a few)
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 15:29
I have seen about a handful of these. I favour Soylent Green, though the final part of 2001: A Space Odyssey is superb.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 10:12
Thanks, Mike and Robert, for the responses.

If I were to choose just one, then my vote would go to A Clockwork Orange (wished I hadn't missed the A in the poll option), but I love all of these (various ones I adore).

Regarding 2001, I find it to be a really beautifully composed film (a favourite of mine since I was a child -- I know many people find the film far too slow). If I were to choose just one scene, then it would be Frank Poole jogging around the centrifuge while shadow-boxing while passing the sleep chambers that resemble sarcophagi. That to me captured the loneliness of such a space mission well, and I found it to be a coldly beautiful scene. Music and image worked so well for me in the film. The framing in the film really appeals to me.

As for Soylent Green, I find overpopulation to be a really interesting theme, and it was quite a popular one in part due to the popularity of the book, The Population Bomb. One I considered listing on that topic (will if I do a second part) is called Z.P.G. (Zero Population Growth).

Almost all of these I saw as a child or teenager, but the most recent discovery (some years ago) of mine was A Boy and His Dog, which is a lesser known film on the list with a young Don Johnson. It was adapted from Harlan Ellison's work (he didn't care for how the film turned out). "Well, I'd certainly say she had marvelous judgment, Albert, if not particularly good taste."

Edited by Logan - July 18 2018 at 10:15
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 10:23
The Tarkovsky ones obviously stand out. Also voted for Alphaville just because I doubt many others will.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 10:27
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I've made it multiple choice for any who wish to vote for multiple entries

It only let me vote for one option so I went for 

Planet of the Apes
The Andromeda Strain
Logan's Run
Soylent Green
Omega Man

Edited by Jeffro - July 18 2018 at 11:08
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 10:33
I don't know if you already know this, but you can only vote for one option at a time. One should be able to vote for one, then after that vote is cast, vote for another etc. If that doesn't work for you, I prefer reading people's posts than looking at the results anyway.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 11:09
I didn't know that so thank you. I voted for the others
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 23:08
Slaughterhouse Five -> Soylent Green -> The Andromeda Strain...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 08:59
Friede and I have a special liking for "Barbarella"; Jane Fonda is so hot in this movie

Edited by BaldJean - July 24 2018 at 09:00

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 12:09
Star Wars wouldn't qualify as speculative anyway.   For me it's a toss-up of Fantastic Voyage, Planet of the Apes, Logan's Run, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.   Though my personal favorite of these four is probably Body Snatchers, I think Apes is the best film (though I've never been a big Apes fan).   I do love Fantastic Voyage though, and it is due for a good remake.   Innerspace, a mediocre spoof with Martin Short, was a well-made but pale attempt at a FV reinterpretation.   Actually the original has held up incredibly well considering how ancient it is, and is still impressive to watch.

Image result for fantastic voyage

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 12:41
^^^ Love Slaughterhouse Five (Kurt Vonnegut is one om very favourite authors), Soylent Green and The Andromeda Strain of course, but the Amdromeda Strain is a particular favourite of those films (been meaning to read the Michael Crichton novel) .

^^ Great to see a vote for Barbarella. She and the the Great Tyrant are great beauties, and it is a very sexy and a very funny film (and th theme song is pure feel good magic).

^^^ You're right about Star Wars, and I think I had meant speculative and or/sci-fi, but all of these are speculative science fiction films. I think of Star Wars as more fantasy than science fiction. Love your choices, and I recommend voting for all of them.

I am a pretty big Apes fan when it comes to those 60s-70s film franchise (the first two especially). Th original's sequel Beneath the Planet of the Apes is pretty terrific for my tastes.

"Glory be to the Bomb and to the holy fallout as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen."

I even loved the cartoon series, which is similar to the Star Trek cartoons. Have also watched the 1970s live action TV series, though I don't like it so much.

----------------------------------------

Shame that the post-apocalytic A Boy and His Dog (with Don Johnson) has no votes in this multiple vote poll (that's one that Dean liked as I recall, wish he was still around). It is on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BDxqhI9qDw
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 13:40
I vaguely remember the PotA animated series which as I recall was pretty good, but the Star Trek one--  wow, such a strange and bizarrely funny show.   Everyone sounds like they're stoned and floating in ether.

But my all time fave ~

Related image

Edited by Atavachron - July 24 2018 at 13:44
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 13:54
^Oh man, I loved Jonny Quest!  The episode with giant spider and the tank....what memories!

Anyway, 
Planet of the Apes
Andromeda Strain
Omega Man
Fantastic Voyage
Soylent Green......They're making food out of people!!!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 14:58
My late father hated SF-movies; he considered them all to be nonsense. With one exception: "Soylent Green". He used to say: "This is what it will come to". He especially loved the scene with the dying Edward G. Robinson.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 17:19
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^^ Love Slaughterhouse Five (Kurt Vonnegut is one om very favourite authors)

Same here.  I'd love to see a film adaptation of 'Breakfast of Champions' LOL
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 20:13
2001 is hard to beat....but I also like Clockwork, Solaris, Fahrenheit 451, Slaughterhouse 5, and guilty pleasures Boy and His Dog and Man Who Fell To Earth.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 21:24
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I vaguely remember the PotA animated series which as I recall was pretty good, but the Star Trek one--  wow, such a strange and bizarrely funny show.   Everyone sounds like they're stoned and floating in ether.

But my all time fave ~

Related image

Quest was the best!
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 18:50
ahhh...  yes it is not 2001 and high art.  but my vote goes to a movie I saw as a little itty bitty Micky and still today it holds a key place in my social and political conscience.

Silent Running.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 20:02
Which version of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" do you mean, the original or the remake?

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>