Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some 60s/70s Speculative/Science Fiction films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which choices will you vote for? (multiple voting enabled)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [11.24%]
5 [5.62%]
1 [1.12%]
5 [5.62%]
6 [6.74%]
6 [6.74%]
3 [3.37%]
4 [4.49%]
2 [2.25%]
4 [4.49%]
5 [5.62%]
8 [8.99%]
3 [3.37%]
3 [3.37%]
4 [4.49%]
3 [3.37%]
5 [5.62%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [3.37%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [4.49%]
4 [4.49%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.12%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 03:54
I've only seen Logan's Run. I didn't really enjoy it. It's full of plot holes and the plot itself is kinda bland.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 10:08
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I've only seen Logan's Run. I didn't really enjoy it. It's full of plot holes and the plot itself is kinda bland.

Surprised of all of these that would be the one you've seen, and the only one you've seen (be more surprised if you lived in an English-speaking country). I would guess that you're not big on sci-fi (or not of that period). You're hardly alone on Logan's Run -- it's a flawed film. Who knew the future would seem so much like a shopping mall? It's important enough to me to have chosen my username based on that. I can work my way around plot holes, fill in the gaps as I see fit, make sense of things, and not get too hung up on those in films generally. Where others often find plot holes, I can usually think of ways to explain those.   That would make an interesting topic. It's the atmosphere in part that I really like, and the concept, and it is one of those films I saw when I was about nine that had an indelible impact on my psyche. I originally caught it on TV with a friend, who is now a very good psychologist, at the Carousel scene. He said as they were floating up, "That looks like fun", then it clearly wasn't. He didn't like it, I, on the other hand, was fascinated and fixated by this spectacle with the cheering crowds shouting "Renew, renew!" I think I'd go the runner route, but who knows what or who I'd be if brought up in such a society. The idea of a whole society, system, dogma, ideology, religion based on a lie or misunderstanding is one of interest to me.

I almost wish I could get you to watch Zardoz, I think this image from A Clockwork orange might fit your reaction.

And no,I;m not suggesting you watch it. I don;t know enough about your tastes in film to make any recommendations. Logan;s Run is considered by many to be a poor film, but not quite to the extent that Zardoz (which has become a cult classic) is. I love Zardoz, but I am something of an oddball. Ultimately films like Zardoz and Logan's Run i find poignant, resonate with me, and move me. There's something I find ultimately very humanistic about those films, and how they approach living and dying. I feel like I grok them, and they have topics of interest to me philosophically and psychologically. They deeply resonate with me despite the flaws, and are to me never dull.

Maybe one could do one on Polish films, could make a Pole on that. Krzysztof Kieślowski, a Polish director, is one of my very favourite directors, and played a major role in me wanting to go into film studies. As did Agnieszka Holland. I had a wonderful time in Warsaw and would like to spend more time in Poland.

By the way, missed the A in Clockwork Orange despite it being one of my very favourite films (not a film I can easily watch now, though). Watched 2001 with my wife; wasn't for her. To each his or her own tastes.

By the way, for those who haven't seen the fairly little known A Boy and His Dog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F6Iw5NSS8A

What are some of your favourite films, Hrychu, of any time or style?
Just a fanboy passin' through.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 10:36
I saw almost all of these movies. Jean and I are huge fans of "Barbarella" and "Zardoz". "Slaughterhouse Five", "2001: A Space Odyssey", "Clockwork Orange", "Fahrenheit 451", "Stalker", "Solaris", "Silent Running", "The Man Who Fell to Earth", The Andromeda Strain", "Soylent Green" (the only SF movie my father liked) and "Alphaville" are excellent too. I prefer the original of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" to the remake.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 11:03
A Clockwork Orange was the first R-rated movie I saw after turning 18. I found it to be quite disturbing and I am not sure I can say I enjoyed it although I am glad I saw it. However, it is Fantastic Voyage that receives my vote for the listed film I most enjoyed as a young person. But there is one movie that seems to me to be a glaring omission: The Time Machine.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 14:43
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

A Clockwork Orange was the first R-rated movie I saw after turning 18. I found it to be quite disturbing and I am not sure I can say I enjoyed it although I am glad I saw it.

Did you know Malcolm was quite upset with Stanley because the latter never rang him again after production was completed on Clockwork? Malcolm loved Stanley and loved working with him. Apparently, they never, ever spoke again. Not even a phone call. I can only assume Stanley never returned any of his calls.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123