Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

(Musician) Ruined ( Band) for me.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (Musician) Ruined ( Band) for me.
    Posted: July 18 2018 at 11:28
This one might start some trouble bur here goes.  Name the one band member that ruined a particular band for you.
  I'll start , I like Led Zeppelin but I think I would like them a lot more if they had another singer.
 I don't mind Plants voice on the softer melodic stuff but his screeching on some of the harder stuff goes right through me. Not to mention, how many times can you yell the word " baby " in one song before the lyric police fine you? 
(Please don't kill me Zeppelin fans Ermm)

So, Who is it for you? 

Edited by Argo2112 - July 18 2018 at 11:38
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 12:12
I wouldn't go so far as to say that it ruins the music for me but I've never been a fan of Martin Turner's vocals on Wishbone Ash.

On some Spock's Beard songs (from back in the Neal Morse days) there are guitar parts from Alan Morse that are grating/screeching and come close to ruining the song for me

Edited by Jeffro - July 18 2018 at 12:15
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 12:53
I think I would be bigger Opeth fan if they hadn´t used as much growl vocals as they did. I am really glad they have stopped it.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 13:55
It's usually the vocalist(s) for me, as soon as the insipid harmonized vocals come in with bland generic lyrics I jump ship.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 14:13
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

This one might start some trouble bur here goes.  Name the one band member that ruined a particular band for you.
  I'll start , I like Led Zeppelin but I think I would like them a lot more if they had another singer.
 I don't mind Plants voice on the softer melodic stuff but his screeching on some of the harder stuff goes right through me. Not to mention, how many times can you yell the word " baby " in one song before the lyric police fine you? 
(Please don't kill me Zeppelin fans Ermm)

So, Who is it for you? 
I agree with you. I think Terry Reid would have been better. Plant gets on my nerves, and that's not counting the masturbation sounds he makes on stage.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 15:41
Jesse Lacey ruined Brand New for me. Nothing to do with his voice, just the whole sexual assault thing.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 17:30
Peter Cetera’s a great bass player and a good singer, and even a pretty good songwriter, but the success of “If You Leave Me Now” on Chicago X turned him into the band’s resident fruitcake, and the success of his singles ensured there would be more to come. I fear that even if Terry K hadn’t died after XI, his role would have been marginalized anyway.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 17:34
I didn't like it when Adrian Belew joined King Crimson.  The music got a little silly.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 18:07
I used to spin Pink Floyd albums regularly... before I listened to a few Gilmour and Waters interviews.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 04:11
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

I used to spin Pink Floyd albums regularly... before I listened to a few Gilmour and Waters interviews.

Heh. Recently, I feel kinda the same way after hearing some Neil Peart interviews. It doesn't make me want to listen to the music any less but it does make it a bit harder to separate the man from the art, as it were.  

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I think I would be bigger Opeth fan if they hadn´t used as much growl vocals as they did. I am really glad they have stopped it.

Growling pretty much ruins any song for me.

Edited by Jeffro - July 19 2018 at 04:12
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 05:02
Steven Wilson is kinda a grade-A d*** Party and it ruined any interest I had in his music. Used to own all Porcupine and solo, now none. It also didn't age well with me. 

I remember an old thread in these here domains, from an interview from Steven about The Flower Kings:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=88744

Honestly, looking back, Steven viewing The Flower Kings as the death of progressive music, though it is a harsh opinion, is JUST an opinion.

I certainly don't see his viewpoint on that progressive music nowadays needs to be needlessly heavy, infact that's what hasn't aged well with me. Doesn't sound organic to me, lots of the new heavier progressive albums. 

Eh. People can have Wilson. I'd say Hip-Hop is actually today's progressive (Donuts, King Geedorah, Madvillany, MM Food, Frank Ocean, Quasimoto, Viktor Vaughn..) But nobody would go for that, no.. 
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 08:26
Nad Sylvan ruined Agents of Mercy and pretty much every act he was in (including Anderson/Stolt) for me. Can't stand his choked and clogged voice.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 08:50
90% of my choices would involve singers…but I’ll go for something a bit different.

Judas Priest had a string of terrific drummers in the 70’s, then David Holland joined in 1979. Maybe he had spent his talent-wad on Trapeze, but he was such a boring time-keeper with almost no fills, rolls, anything. Granted, Priest’s stuff during his tenure was often classic, including their biggest FM hard-rock hits as well as some of my favorites by the band, but I can only imagine how much better songs like “Freewheel Burning” and such would’ve sounded with a more adventurous drummer and not a dull metronome. Him leaving in the late 80’s helped the band’s brief resurgence with Painkiller.

Then the awful sex offences and imprisonment in 2004 made him such a pariah, his name was never brought up concerning the current re-interest in the band and their legacy. When he died this past January, nobody blinked an eye…it was like he never existed in the first place. If somehow Judas Priest wind up in the R&RHOF (I know, not that it matters), I doubt David Holland’s name will be included despite playing drums on the songs most people know them for. I try not to think of the guy while hearing “Breaking the Law”, “You’ve Got Another Thing Coming” and such, but after awhile I notice the plain drum beats, then think of the guy, and what he did later in life…Dead

Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 23:06
Well, Steve Perry took a band with some promise straight into sappy, saccharine arena rock hell.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 23:54
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Growling pretty much ruins any song for me.
Same for me. But mostly I am not interested at all also the music that has growl vocals, Opeth is the only exception. Haven´t listened some of Opeth´s first albums, I believe they not for me...

Edited by Mortte - July 21 2018 at 23:56
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 00:47
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Nad Sylvan ruined Agents of Mercy and pretty much every act he was in (including Anderson/Stolt) for me. Can't stand his choked and clogged voice.

Haha.. holy Sh-1t. Now that I'm listening to more and more of his songs, I totally got used to the nuances in the guy's vocals and I'm fine with his voice now. Who would've ever thought?
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 03:16
Novalis and the totally uninspired Hartwig Biereichel on drums. And I know I will get flak from Rush fans for this, but Neil Peart is also totally uninspired, though technically much better than Biereichel. But great technique does not make up for lack of inspiration. Peart is the main reason I don't like Rush.

Rush fans will of course point out the famous Neil Peart drum solo, but this solo actually only proves my point. It is played exactly the same way every time he plays it; not a bit of improvisation at all.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 03:27
I don't like Purple with anyone other than Gillan as singer.  
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 04:46
Dream Theater vocalist (what's his name) is totally insufferable for me (but I make an exception for Metropolis, love the album)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 06:45
AWESOME!!!!!

Captcha is back.. got me (unsaved) with an emoticon
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>