Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

(Musician) Ruined ( Band) for me.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingveepixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 01:10
these discussions are all bollocks anyway

Edited by flyingveepixie - November 26 2018 at 01:27
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 05:33
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Sigh; I knew this would come from Rush fans. They would (deliberately?) misunderstand me.

I am not talking about creating drum parts, I am talking about playing them. Peart will play the same fill-in at the same time every time a certain song is played. I call that "lack of inspiration". The drummer is the musician with the most freedom in a band; just listen to how jazz drummers play. If a drummer does not use this freedom he is uninspired.

I'm not deliberately misunderstanding you. It comes down to your interpretation of inspired as opposed to mine. Reading what you wrote, I don't see that as "lack of inspiration". I see it as "lack of improvisation". You consider his lack of improvisation to be a lack of inspiration. I don't. However, reading your post above about classical music, I now have a better idea of where you're coming from. 

You are correct that Peart is (mostly) not improvisational in his playing. That's not his thing. He has admitted that he is far more compositional than improvisational in his playing. However, I think that dismissing his worth based on the fact that he doesn't vary up his drum fills, etc during live performances is unfair.  

Edited by Jeffro - October 16 2018 at 05:44
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 06:00
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

This one might start some trouble bur here goes.  Name the one band member that ruined a particular band for you

So, Who is it for you? 

Third page and not a Phil Collins mention?? watsrongwifuguys??

Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

I didn't like it when Adrian Belew joined King Crimson.  The music got a little silly.
I mostly agree, but have to say Discipline was an absolute gem (for me, anyway). After that, I think Belew exerted too much influence and moved the music in a direction I didn't care for.

Yup, though I do like most of Discipline, I'm no fan of 80's Crimson, and I can definitely blame it mostly on Ade... But then again, je was there for the 90's and 00's albums and prefer them over the 80's.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 06:16
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Sigh; I knew this would come from Rush fans. They would (deliberately?) misunderstand me.

I am not talking about creating drum parts, I am talking about playing them. Peart will play the same fill-in at the same time every time a certain song is played. I call that "lack of inspiration". The drummer is the musician with the most freedom in a band; just listen to how jazz drummers play. If a drummer does not use this freedom he is uninspired.

I'm not deliberately misunderstanding you. It comes down to your interpretation of inspired as opposed to mine. Reading what you wrote, I don't see that as "lack of inspiration". I see it as "lack of improvisation". You consider his lack of improvisation to be a lack of inspiration. I don't. However, reading your post above about classical music, I now have a better idea of where you're coming from. 

You are correct that Peart is (mostly) not improvisational in his playing. That's not his thing. He has admitted that he is far more compositional than improvisational in his playing. However, I think that dismissing his worth based on the fact that he doesn't vary up his drum fills, etc during live performances is unfair. 

You are not the first one to confuse me with my wife (same-sex marriage) BaldJean, probably because we have the same avatar (the cover of the first album of our band Bald Angels). She was the one who wrote that classical music post. She is the keyboarder and guitar player and sings some harmony vocals, I am the drummer, bass player and lead singer. Jean is also responsible for the compositions; I write the lyrics.

Just to make this clear: I do not doubt the technical skills of Neil Peart. But playing the same every time is in my opinion totally boring; it makes you appear like a music bureaucrat. I myself most definitely don't do that.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
flyingveepixie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingveepixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 07:19

You are not the first one to confuse me with my wife (same-sex marriage) BaldJean, probably because we have the same avatar (the cover of the first album of our band Bald Angels). She was the one who wrote that classical music post. She is the keyboarder and guitar player and sings some harmony vocals, I am the drummer, bass player and lead singer. Jean is also responsible for the compositions; I write the lyrics.

Just to make this clear: I do not doubt the technical skills of Neil Peart. But playing the same every time is in my opinion totally boring; it makes you appear like a music bureaucrat. I myself most definitely don't do that.

cheers

Edited by flyingveepixie - November 26 2018 at 01:26
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 08:12

Fair enough and apologies for mixing up the posts. 
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 15:36
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Third page and not a Phil Collins mention?? watsrongwifuguys?

Well after reading his "Not Dead Yet" memoir and watching stuff like that I personally figured the whole Genesis-going-pop thing was a natural progression (sic!) of the band. Actually it looks like both Banks and Rutherford tried to write a hit (aka sappy love songs) for years, but only when Collins caught huge success with his solo output they let him write for Genesis too.

Tony in particular seems to be so jealous of Phil's success and so bitter about it, while he should've been thankful to their drummer boi for creating four more albums with the band after those sensational sales of "Face Value" - because eventually these albums meant more money for Tony too. Hell, Tony's even bitter about Peter being the unique frontman that he was - quote "I felt it was Peter becoming the main focus of both the music press and the fans, not the band". Well if not Peter and his shenanigans, would've Genesis been noticed at all? Who knows...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123