Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What qualifies as Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkinSydney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What qualifies as Prog?
    Posted: July 18 2018 at 22:25
I have looked up bands here that I would consider Prog' "The Mars Volta" for instance and couldn't find them here.
Is there some kind of definition that qualifies a band to be listed on this website?
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 22:31
You didn't look very well. THey are here under M. The site more than adequately states the criteria for inclusion so i suggest you read it. It's right at the very top of the homepage under Prog Rock Guides.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
MarkinSydney View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkinSydney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 22:49
Thanks for your advice,  yes that's true ,my eye must have skipped over it. my apologies

I have looked up some bands here that I thought may have been overlooked and it would be good in my opinion if they were included  "Midnight Oil"  for instance who were a very successful band.

Is there a process for suggestions I wonder?
I am very grateful for this website as it's an amazing resource : )
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 23:45
Originally posted by MarkinSydney MarkinSydney wrote:

I have looked up bands here that I would consider Prog' "The Mars Volta" for instance and couldn't find them here.
Is there some kind of definition that qualifies a band to be listed on this website?

Thanks for asking!  I've been on this website for years & never read those resources! 

Welcome to PA, mate!  

Cheers, Chuck in Chicago! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 23:51
These days even prog that is more prog than prog has been ever canīt automatically make itīs way into progarchives. For example new Finnish progbands just canīt be choosen here for the reason I donīt understand. But thatīs not anyway a big problem to me.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 04:46

Thanks for your advice,  yes that's true ,my eye must have skipped over it. my apologies

I have looked up some bands here that I thought may have been overlooked and it would be good in my opinion if they were included  "Midnight Oil"  for instance who were a very successful band.

There is a process for suggesting new bands - check the New Bands section.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 05:38
^Midnight Oil will ever be in the progarchives, no, even itīs great band and really has prog influences. Specially prog-related bands seem not to have here any chances these days.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 07:26

I have most of Midnight Oil's discography. Sorry but i can guarantee that they are not prog. They are some damn good art rock though.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Cag71 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cag71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 08:07
This site is very comphrehensive, but does have one or two gaps, and receives new suggestions all the time. Under my old account, I have successfully suggested several bands for inclusion. However, I would not consider Midnight Oil to be progressive rock - do really like their music, though. Reminds me of my student days!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 08:18

The best you could do is frequent a website like Progressive Ears where even bands with just a suggestion of being prog (like Journey for example) have followings and forum discussions.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 08:32
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The best you could do is frequent a website like Progressive Ears where even bands with just a suggestion of being prog (like Journey for example) have followings and forum discussions.

PE is a very good site indeed. I was a member on there for a  long time but now just read it every so often. I found there to be a little bit too much elitism among some of the members on there that kind of put me off not to mention members bringing up stuff from the past that I had forgotten about as well as other unnecessary and childish bs. I much prefer the laid back vibe that PA has these days. Unless you are part of the little inner circle on PE expect most of your posts to get ignored or not taken seriously. Anyway, I actually would consider the first three Journey albums to be prog or at least prog related. After that they were a very good arena rock type band(in the same vein as Foreigner or Boston).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 19 2018 at 08:33
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 08:35
Originally posted by Cag71 Cag71 wrote:

This site is very comphrehensive, but does have one or two gaps, and receives new suggestions all the time. Under my old account, I have successfully suggested several bands for inclusion. However, I would not consider Midnight Oil to be progressive rock - do really like their music, though. Reminds me of my student days!

I have recommended a few acts that got shut down on here(including the Tubes and Lo Fi Resistance)but many more of my suggestions have been accepted which makes me over all a happy camper.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 19 2018 at 08:35
Cag71 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cag71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 09:02
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Cag71 Cag71 wrote:

I have recommended a few acts that got shut down on here(including the Tubes and Lo Fi Resistance)but many more of my suggestions have been accepted which makes me over all a happy camper.

Yeah, what does or does not constitute prog can be very subjective and a matter of personal opinion - which, of course,  is why they have a panel which votes on which artists to accept. If I recall correctly, all my suggestions were eventually accepted, though some of them took rather a long time and quite a bit of prompting :)
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 09:07
Welcome! 

I've always been under the impression this is THE Prog resource, with every sub genre under the sun - but no concrete definition of what qualifies as progressive. At least an agreed upon one, as far as I'm aware? I could be wrong.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 10:36
Welcome to the site, and happy listening.

Aside from reading the definition of the various categories in PA, to get a feel for the kind of music that gets included, it helps to listen to plenty of music from the categories. That gives one a feel for it, and one can make better associations. To me Midnight Oil has some prog relation on the first album (I think it's got both a punk and progressive rock influence), and in other music, but it's not one that I have seriously considered for the site (I have only heard albums up to Blue Sky Mining). Incidentally, Diesel and Dust was one of the first CDs that I ever purchased. The only sort-of possibility for Midnight Oil I could have possibly sort-of seen (based on the music I know) would have been Prog Related, but it would not fit our criteria which is intended for exceptional cases and should meet various criteria to consider it.

If you want to make suggestions, you should read this first: Please Read - Band Suggestion Procedure (CLICK) A more thought out and well-prepared suggestion has a better chance at getting in. Focus on the most relevant albums by the band, but can help to mention the ones that they shouldn't check if applicable, and provide links and thoughts on why you think they deserve a shot.

There is quite a lot that I would like to see added that hasn't been added, but the complete discography policy can be off-putting especially when it comes to bands/ artists that have a limited Prog (according to the categories one is suggesting it for) output, but big discographies. I used to suggest a lot of bands, and have been fortunate that almost all of them have gone through (I had a few disappointments and disagreements, but generally it's been a smooth process -- some cases take a lot of effort and some are futile).

Since we have so many categories (or subgenres) on the site, there is no one type of Prog, but commonly there is a sense of experimentation and of pushing the boundaries of what rock can be or strive to be. It often unconventional, draws from and fuses with other types of music, is often electic in styles and there is a diversity in instrumentation quite often which includes instruments not generally associated with rock (doesn't have to be). It can take twists and turns that make it unconventional, and often jazz and classical influences are found in the mix. The more you get to know it the more you can hear it, I think.

By the way, other than searching alphabetically, the site does have a built-in google search engine feature on the home page that works for me.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 10:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Now, now, Steve. You're just upset they won't allow you to make your provocative polls on PE. Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 08:40
I like the Midnight Oil love here. Nice. What a great band!!!

But they will never be included here. If XTC can't make the cut...
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 16:18
If we could find a definition of prog (good luck on that one) then we could easily say if a band is prog or not, but as it stands now, it's more a personal thing if you consider a band "prog" or not. It all depends of what you consider to be and what it means to you to be prog.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 17:49
I feel the definition of Prog changes every 5 to 10 years or so.  It does not surprise me that regular chart topping bands will end up on the PA site eventually.  Some bands have progressed in their own right. 

I've watched progressive music grow over the years since the early 70's when I first started liking this style of music.  

I'm not a huge fan of these ever increased sub-genres in music in prog...  I find the terms and definitions confusing and does not really describe the music at all. Certain definitions have similar meanings IMO.  Thankfully  with YouTube & Bandcamp sites we get access to the music and get an idea.  Smile

Two genres missing is probably Blues Prog & Country Prog..  We have already Jazz & Folk.  Not sure which bands fall into those catorgeries...  I know The Brew (Camel)  would fall into the Blues area.   Wink

Edited by noni - July 20 2018 at 17:50
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 18:38
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I have most of Midnight Oil's discography. Sorry but i can guarantee that they are not prog. They are some damn good art rock though.

They're definitely not prog; they're art. No wonder we're a joke.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>