3 [4.92%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.64%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 80s Cinema Fantastique
    Posted: July 19 2018 at 12:48
Just realised that I missed Alien off my last poll, I thought it was 1980. Aliens would count for this, but I don't like it nearly as much as Alien. Lots more that I would like to list, but these are some of my favourites. Multiple votes again enabled. Feel free to mention any others you like, but I request that you do mention some on the list, and vote in the poll with what is given.
I plan to do a 90s and 2000s, and then another over the decades with titles that I like and forgot to mention or ran out of space for.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 13:26
Lots of good ones on the list, but Blade Runner and Videodrome are the ones I really care about.

Also:
- The Beyond
- Inferno
- Dr. Jekyll and His Women
- The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik-Yak
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 13:36
I'd have to give it to The Thing.   It made a big impact in 1982 and showed what a smaller budget and some talented people could do.   Carpenter was writing and recording his own scores, for crying out loud.   Who does that?   The Fly also excellent but a bit more conventional than The Thing.   BTW I think Aliens not on the list is fine, I'd barely call it CineFant anyway.

I would include another John Carpenter favorite: Escape from New York

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 14:50
Hardly a film up there that I don't like.....some favorites are....
Blade Runner
The Shining
Altered States
Dune
Excalibur
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 14:57
 Had to vote Blade Runner but lots of good ones here including Road Warrior, The Shining, Excalibur, The Thing, 1984... 

Edited by Argo2112 - July 19 2018 at 14:59
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 16:32
^^^ David I had meant to include Escape from New York, but I guess it escaped my mind as I was typing this up. Tron is another that I thought of -- yeah, kids movie, but I like it.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 16:46
wow.  Great list.

but for all the greats...including the mighty Blade Runner... one stands out.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 16:49
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I'd have to give it to The Thing.   It made a big impact in 1982 and showed what a smaller budget and some talented people could do.   Carpenter was writing and recording his own scores, for crying out loud.   Who does that?   The Fly also excellent but a bit more conventional than The Thing.   BTW I think Aliens not on the list is fine, I'd barely call it CineFant anyway.

I would include another John Carpenter favorite: Escape from New York

The Thing was the bomb.... 

'you've got to be f**king kidding'...  classic scene man.  Top 5 alltimer in cinema history in my humble opinion.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 16:52
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
The Empire Strikes Back
The Karate Kid
Stardust Memories
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 17:58
Someone with a picture of Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still can't find one film to comment on in this SF/ Fantasy/ Horror list? Just surprised.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 10:11
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

wow.  Great list.

but for all the greats...including the mighty Blade Runner... one stands out.

I really love Excalibur (and Carl Orff's Carmina Burana -- been one of my most played "classical" works).

Incidentally, I'm really surprised to see that Brazil has no votes, I thought that would be quite a popular film with forum members (has been at other sites I've belonged to).

And if like dwill you can't find any cinema of the fantastic films to like in my list, please do feel free to mention any others -- not that I've thought of Karate Kid in that way, and Stardust Memories not that much, although it's 8½ qualities make me think it more suitable to such a list as mine. I'm always looking to potentially discover new-to-me things.

Regarding The Empire Strikes Back, while Star Wars has generally not resonated that much with me, I do like that film (Yoda especially appeals to me).

This is fun:

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 03:58
I wish Hellraiser series focused more on the fantastical horror then how it evolved into a parody. I liked howbthe first two keptbit silple and i wished for lore build arround the cebobites

Edited by Icarium - July 22 2018 at 04:00
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 07:27
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

[QUOTE=micky] 

Incidentally, I'm really surprised to see that Brazil has no votes, I thought that would be quite a popular film with forum members (has been at other sites I've belonged to).

yeah but you did such a bangup list and if can only vote for one... and you have such narrow participation.  I love the movie, the point is, I love just about all of them. Hard to choose.. I went Excalibur, I could have gone for about 6 of them if I didn't phone it in and just vote Blade Runner which is the only one of those I would put in my alltime top 5 favorite movies. (#2 btw)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 08:00
I could vote for most of em but decided to go with my current favourite in 'Altered States'. Such a big sucker for Ken Russell's work. It always amazes me how little his movies are shown on tv. I mean, we have several 'cultural channels' that often show artsy movies, yet he is largely overlooked. Scratch that, 'Altered States' was shown on our national tv station (we the people fund it;) not too long ago...past midnight of course, but yeah that is also why I am so big on the flick right now.
I love the novel and quite frankly extremely interesting take on how to involve acid in the story. As for the actual cinematic language used, the imagery, it is simply breathtaking...and still looks great today imo. The climatic 'the universe in a small room-scene' is beautiful.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 08:08
oh yeah Greg.. interesting choice there I meant to ask earlier.

Road Warrior? over Mad Max.   Nah...  Mad Max was a vastly superior movie. Nothing in that movie touched the opening sequenze and the Nightrider. Plus it had great characters and a real story.  Good times... me and my old college roomate watched that one time and decided to head out to the back roads and tried to recreate the chase scene.   I lost, and nearly my life as my Firebird (or me) were unable to navigate a 15mph turn at 85 mph. 

youth? Loved it, as long was lucky enough to survive it.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 10:22
Agree, Micky. Definitely not Road Warrior over Mad Max, while I like both, Mad Max is a much more powerful film. The reason why Mad Max is not in this list is because it came out in 1979, and the reason why Mad Max is not on my "Some 60s/70s Speculative/Science Fiction films" list is because there was so much that I like from that period that I simply ran out of space (upset I missed Alien on that list, though, I had remembered it coming out in 1980 rather than 1979).
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 10:49
ahh.. yeah.. that makes sense. Carry on sir!!!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 10:54
I'm just glad to see the Mad Max respect. It's a much deeper and more meaningful film than the sequel, but the sequel is still beautiful to look at in its way, and can be poignant and fun (I do like the cinematography and still care about characters in Road Warrior). On another note, all this recent conversation is getting me addicted to the board again -- I better watch out. I saw The Road Warrior first, but then when I went to live in Australia for some time, various people told me that I must watch the original as it's a superior film.

Edited by Logan - July 22 2018 at 10:58
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 08:41
A bit surprised that no one voted for The Hunger....since Bowie had a part in it.....very stylish vampire film.
I missed it on the list but went back and voted just now.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 12:27
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I could vote for most of em but decided to go with my current favourite in 'Altered States'. Such a big sucker for Ken Russell's work. It always amazes me how little his movies are shown on tv. I mean, we have several 'cultural channels' that often show artsy movies, yet he is largely overlooked. Scratch that, 'Altered States' was shown on our national tv station (we the people fund it;) not too long ago...past midnight of course, but yeah that is also why I am so big on the flick right now.
I love the novel and quite frankly extremely interesting take on how to involve acid in the story. As for the actual cinematic language used, the imagery, it is simply breathtaking...and still looks great today imo. The climatic 'the universe in a small room-scene' is beautiful.

It does have some very good moments, and some scary ones as well.   Bob Balaban perfectly cast as William Hurt's assistant, and the very sexy Blair Brown (with a nude scene even!).   The film is dated both in look and in cultural significance (the use of isolation chambers, Indian tribalism, and hallucinogens, etc.), but does still hold up.   Though it screams for a good remake.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>