Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steely Dan vs Supertramp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which S band do you prefer? Steely Dan or Supertramp?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [42.19%]
29 [45.31%]
4 [6.25%]
4 [6.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steely Dan vs Supertramp
    Posted: July 20 2018 at 16:52
Being how SD whooped ELO I thought maybe I would put them up against another band who might get more votes than ELO. Let's see how it goes with Supertramp this time. 
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 17:06
I like both but some of Supertramp is way more proggy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 17:09
^Ok, but more proggy doesn't automatically equal better does it? Tongue
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 17:34
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^Ok, but more proggy doesn't automatically equal better does it? Tongue

It does on this site. I've seen people vote against an album or band because it was "Not Prog" or even because it was "Not Proggy Enough". There was no basis for judgment regarding the actual quality of the album or band.

That being said, I voted for Supertramp because they were more proggy. LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 19:37
Steely Dan, though I like Supertramp as well
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 20:25
Supertramp was good in their day, but no can't vote against the Dan. Those first 7 albums are just too good. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 01:00
Absolutely Supertramp.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 01:28
Supertramp 100 %    Smile
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 01:55
Steely Dan wins against almost anything for me. Certainly against Supertramp, which I've always found too MOR-ish and lacking in edge to get into.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 03:23
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Steely Dan wins against almost anything for me.
This. 

Supertramp are good and all though.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 05:10
Steely Dan still well ahead for me
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 06:58
hah..

one band is good and has some fans that like them
one band is legendary and is pretty much universality respected by the trifecta of musicians, critics, and music lovers.

so should be an easy win.. but wait...

then there is PA's

one band is English prog and one is American and progressive  Guess which band wins haha

Edited by micky - July 21 2018 at 06:59
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 08:54
With high respect to the great S.T , I like Steely more and I vote to them
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 09:18
Eventually I'm going to find a band who isn't Yes, Genesis, KC or GG who can beat SD on here. ;) Of course this is all for fun. SD are a band who took me a long time to warm up to but I finally am able to appreciate them. Still, I won't vote since I haven't heard the full discography of either band.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 21 2018 at 09:19
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 09:39
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Eventually I'm going to find a band who isn't Yes, Genesis, KC or GG who can beat SD on here. ;) Of course this is all for fun. SD are a band who took me a long time to warm up to but I finally am able to appreciate them. Still, I won't vote since I haven't heard the full discography of either band.

And that is where Supertramp lose out to SD for me.  I like Crime of the Century at least as much as Aja (my favourite Dan album and rated very highly by most fans), sometimes more because some of the tracks like Rudy are simply outstanding.  But Crisis is not nearly as good and Breakfast in America too drops off after a strong start (maybe right after the title track).  Dan on the other hand had a far more sumptuous discography.  From Countdown to Ecstasy all the way to Gaucho is just bucketloads of amazing jazz pop/rock.  Maybe not very 'prog' by the PA definition of the word but it's not like Supertramp is some reincarnation of Yes or ELP either.  Crossover prog at the most and frequently not prog at all.  Wonderful all the same but prog or not prog is hardly a point of contention here.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 09:42
I'm not voting as I still don't know Steely Dan as well as I should, but I really like various Supertramp albums and tracks.

I came late to getting the debut, but really like it and "Try Again" I especially love off it. It's a wonderful song to me that I don't see getting mention.

Other songs like "Fool's Overture" and "Hide in Your Shell" have been really important to me. I'm inspired to do a little poll due to this topic.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 11:24
This is much tougher than the last one. Again my vote goes to the Dan but only by a CH.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 11:48
Supertramp is sort of linked with King Crimson by sharing a former lyracist in Richard Palmer-James whom ive read also coined the name Supertramp. I really like the lyrics on the debute. Maybe im A Begger is a very philosophical song about trampisme and beggar lifestyle.

Edited by Icarium - July 21 2018 at 11:49
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 12:15
Supertramp.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 12:20
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'm not voting as I still don't know Steely Dan as well as I should, but I really like various Supertramp albums and tracks.

I came late to getting the debut, but really like it and "Try Again" I especially love off it. It's a wonderful song to me that I don't see getting mention.

Other songs like "Fool's Overture" and "Hide in Your Shell" have been really important to me. I'm inspired to do a little poll due to this topic.

First Supertramp is my favorite from them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>