Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steely Dan vs Supertramp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which S band do you prefer? Steely Dan or Supertramp?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [42.19%]
29 [45.31%]
4 [6.25%]
4 [6.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 12:32
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'm not voting as I still don't know Steely Dan as well as I should, but I really like various Supertramp albums and tracks.

I came late to getting the debut, but really like it and "Try Again" I especially love off it. It's a wonderful song to me that I don't see getting mention.

Other songs like "Fool's Overture" and "Hide in Your Shell" have been really important to me. I'm inspired to do a little poll due to this topic.

First Supertramp is my favorite from them.

Mine too. It's an album that in my experience doesn't, with the possible exception of Indelibly Stamped, get nearly as much recognition or love as the bands other 70s albums. At ProgArchives, it is the lowest rated album with the fewest numbers of ratings, other than Indelibly Stamped, and it's the same situation at rateyourmusic (although at rateyourmusic it fares better against those). At PA, Crime of the Century, which is commonly held to be its masterpiece, has a 4.31 rating with 1460 ratings, whereas the debut has 3.45 with 294 ratings. I have rarely noticed the debut being mentioned when Supertramp comes up, and I neglected it for years.

Edited by Logan - July 21 2018 at 12:38
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 18:15
Someone said Supertramp was MORish.....that sums them up....prog lite.

The Dan had chops, great songs, and witty lyrics...even if they were a bit too clever for their own good at times.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 19:02
This one is tough, but I have to side with Supertramp because I love the fact that they are based more on piano.  Supertramp holds a lot of nostalgic value to me also.   Besides that, the "Crime of the Century" album excels in Progressiveness.  Very hard to beat that one.

Edited by TCat - July 21 2018 at 19:05
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 19:57
This one is closer, but still Steely Dan takes my vote.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 20:37
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

This one is tough, but I have to side with Supertramp because I love the fact that they are based more on piano.  Supertramp holds a lot of nostalgic value to me also.   Besides that, the "Crime of the Century" album excels in Progressiveness.  Very hard to beat that one.

That is an interesting assertion because Dan is plenty piano based too.  Arguably their most beautiful song, Aja, has magical piano chords. And THEN, they had Larry Carlton on top of that.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 20:37
"You can not vote in this poll"

Is that because I'm too new to the site, or is the poll closed?

In any case, I easily choose the Dan.  They are incredible, and tremendously unique.  On the other hand, Roger Hodgson's voice sends me running for my earplugs.  
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 20:40
you have to have some points accrued to vote.  Let me see if I can help...  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 20:41
now try voting haha
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 21:18
Still no luck.

No worries.  I'm sure it'll come around at some point.

Thanks.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 21:22
maybe it is 50 points to vote (paging Greg). give you a few more likies... consider it a mea culpa for the Beatles dig...
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 21:25
: Like I said, i'm sure it'll come around in time.  

And no worries on the Beatles dig. I pretty much knew my post there wouldn't go unscathed.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 21:40
the Beatles as you might imagine have been a hot and divisive topic here for years..  usually brought up by kiddies and those who equate overexposed to be overrated.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 22:28
My opinion of them as overrated is not based on exposure.  And while I do think of them as badly overrated, I freely acknowledge they were a highly creative bunch of lads who probably did more to move popular music forward than any other band, and I correspondingly acknowledge their tremendous influence.  
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 22:46
Bit late as you've already got enough, but thanks given, and one to Micky just for being Micky and as someone to chat with today -- been ages since I spent so much time here.

The Beatles were hugely important and influential to popular music, that is a no-brainer for me.... How hugely inventive and originative the Fab Four themselves were is, I think, open to debate. Because they had access to as much free studio time as they wanted due to their huge success, they had the chance to spend plenty of time and experiment a lot in the studio. I think Emerick deserves considerable credit for both bringing their ideas to fruition, and also suggesting other ideas. He minimizes George Martin's importance in the creative department in the latter part of The Beatles career, but I don't think one can deny Martin's importance to the Beatles's success (and that many innovative ideas ideas came from him). I certainly give credit to the Beatles' band members for seeking to experiment and try new things. They put a lot of time into trying new things in the studio, and even incorporated chance "mistakes". Thy sought to try new things, and did, and adapted techniques already in use (for instead tape loops) which were being used in Musique Concrete. I think they had a very good team to work with, but the Beatles themselves deserve a lot of the credit since the studio technicians/ producers, were being pushed to try new things by them, and the Beatles were creative with ideas "Let's try this, and this, and this". That could be pretty frustrating and time consuming for the technicians/ producer.

I once went to went to a music show, and the presenter went on-and-on about the greatness of he Beatles. I do consider the Beatles to be pioneering in pop-rock, and to have had an enormous impact on music, but it struck me as overly effusive praise. There was no mention of the likes of Stockhausen, Xenakis, Cage, Nono, Schnittke, Berio or Ligeti as other great modern composers/ innovators (it was not a pop-rock concert, but a general music one). Now, I would hardly say that, say, Xenakis, had nearly the effect on music than, say, John Lennon did (not nearly as influential), and of course I'm talking apples and oranges. I wonder if, say, Stockausen, Ligeti, Xenakis, and Cage had joined forces into their own Fab Four, if they could have had the same impact as a group. Very unlikely. The Beatles were popular in a way that those others never could be.

Edited by Logan - July 21 2018 at 22:50
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 08:54
Ok, I'm going to let you guys decide who Steely Dan goes up against next. ;)
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 09:07
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

a showdown between 10cc or Roxy Music would be nice
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 10:19

I think Steely Dan vs Radiohead on here would be interesting. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 10:27

Magma

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 10:46
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

That is an interesting assertion because Dan is plenty piano based too.  Arguably their most beautiful song, Aja, has magical piano chords. And THEN, they had Larry Carlton on top of that.

No doubt that Steely Dan uses plenty of piano/keyboards in their music.  Notice I said this was a tough decision.  The difference is that Supertramp obviously concentrated on piano as being the lead instrument.  SD used keyboards, guitar, brass and so on for different lead instruments throughout their career.  I even place "Aja" and "Katy Lied" as top albums on my list, but I also place "Crime of the Century", "Crisis What Crisis?", "Even in the Quietest Moments" and "Brother Where You Bound" at the top of the list.  Obviously there are more albums by Supertramp at the top of my personal list. 

It's a good thing we all have our own opinions (which I always value everyone's opinions) otherwise all music, including Progressive Rock, would sound the same.  In fact, without opinions, Prog might not even exist.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 06:36
Supertramp gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>