Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for music recommendations.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for music recommendations.
    Posted: July 21 2018 at 00:16
I listen to the same music too much. Sometimes this wears out the music i enjoy. Can anyone help me find something related to some artists I enjoy so i can listen to more music without expiring my taste for the bands i already listen to?
My favourites include Pink Floyd, Zappa & Mothers, King Crimson, Magma, and late 60's psych in general.
Any other bands i should be listening to so i can expand my horizons?
The most dangerous man in America.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 03:40
Originally posted by Scorpius Scorpius wrote:

My favourites include Pink Floyd, Zappa & Mothers, King Crimson, Magma, and late 60's psych in general.

I highly recommend the first four albums by Van der Graaf Generator:

The Aerosol Grey Machine
The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other
H To He, Who Am The Only One
Pawn Hearts

The first album (The Aerosol Grey Machine) is before the group found their characteristic sound, but you may enjoy it anyway. You may also enjoy their albums after Pawn Hearts, but those albums have a somewhat different sound to the four I mentioned.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 06:50
If you like late 60's psych you should check out CAN & Amon Duul II. Bands in a similar vein to Magma include Weidorje, Eskaton & Shub Niggurath
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 12:08
Kaleidoscope (UK), Blossom Toes, Electric Prunes, the Deviants, Dantalian´s Chariot, the Red Crayola, H P Lovecraft & Strawberry Alarm Clock are all really great, quite unknown sixties psychedelic bands.

I believe Canterbury scene (for example Caravan, Gong, Comus, Kevin Ayers, the Soft Machine, Robert Wyatt & Matching Mole) is something you should check out.

Also I think you would like Finnish band Wigwam.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 12:28
And in kraut check Faust.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 13:06
There is another thread asking for recommendarions in which Pink Floyd was a favourite one too, so I mostly just copied what I wrote there. I just got to know a band from Mexico called Ekos, which began doing Pink Floyd covers (thus the name). They have done two great albums (in spanish), particularly their secon one "Otra Dimensión". Another band I really want to get into that I understand has some Floyd sound, but haven't really heard so much yet, is SBB, from Poland. And in general polish bands seem to have that sound... there's the obvious one, Riverside (though that one is metal, but with some very nice Floyd sounding atmosphere), and the one I just got into latley, Georgius, with two really wonderful albums. Another one similar to Georgius (though not polish) is Soup, also their last album is wonderful (Remedies). And of course, there's Porcupine Tree... specially the live album "Coma Divine" has some very Floyd sounding moments which you should check out.
Tychovski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tychovski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2018 at 10:01
The Unnamables - Univeria Zekt
Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2018 at 10:08
Your late 60s psych preference indicates you may enjoy the (80s and later) Ozric Tentacles.
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2018 at 12:16
You might like Nyl's album ( Urus Records, 1976 ) featuring Jannick Top of Magma on some tracks. Today Psychedelic Baby Magazine published an interesting interview with some former members

http://www.psychedelicbabymag.com/2018/08/nyl-cheval-fou-interview-with-michel.html

philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2018 at 20:22
Well for some good psychedelia I suggest:

-Elizabeth - Elizabeth (1968)

It is right on the verge of psychedelia and prog rock (including a move towards more musical instrumentation and careful composition, over the large amounts of improv that dominated psychedelic rock), as well as classically trained musicians. I definitely suggest. I personally think they should be on this site either under psychedelia or proto-prog... but that is another story.

Another good one, especially for a prog-psych mix is:

Ars Nova (American Band) - Ars Nova (1968)

They mixed medieval modes and were basically psychedelic, baroque pop, and progressive rock all mixed into one bag, which I find highly appealing and I think you would too, given your favorites. They also began at the exact same time as Chicago (putting a dent in the notion that Chicago did the horn section first).

------------------------------

If you like Pink Floyd then I think you'd love:

-Eloy - Ocean (1977)

An excellent concept album, very much in the same vein as Meddle and Dark Side of the Moon.

I also suggest:

-Babylon - Babylon (1978)
-Crack the Sky - Animal Notes (1976) -kinda like if Pink Floyd did a lot of songs like "Money"
-Alan Parsons Project - I, Robot (1977) - Parsons was a sound engineer on Dark Side of the Moon, fun fact.

----------------------

Depending on the era you like of King Crimson (I personally only care for the first four albums), then I would suggest the following:

---Early KC:---

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (1973)

ELP featured the bassist and lead vocalist of KC's first two albums, Greg Lake, as well as very similar composition styles imo, though Keith Emerson's keyboard playing is unparalleled in this brand of Prog.

On the darker side of prog, but similar in style there is also:

-Island - Pictures (1977)

---------------------

Other band suggestions that may fit for you:

-Genesis (psychedelia in early years, prog under Gabriel, and then kinda went pop because of Collins)
-Jethro Tull (blues, psychedelia, folk prog, and prog rock)
-Early Deep Purple (first three albums or so)
-Gentle Giant

So there ya go.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 14:56
I'd point a newbie to Eloy's excellent Live. That has a good chunk of Ocean on it.
oddballava View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oddballava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 15:47
If you're looking for something slightly Zappa-ish, check out the first 4 albums from Albert Marcoeur. They call him the "French Frank Zappa" 
MrMHead View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 19:18
Originally posted by Scorpius Scorpius wrote:

I listen to the same music too much. Sometimes this wears out the music i enjoy. Can anyone help me find something related to some artists I enjoy so i can listen to more music without expiring my taste for the bands i already listen to?
Any other bands i should be listening to so i can expand my horizons?
(yeah old OP but I'm a newbie, give me a break LOL )

I found that (free) Pandora is good for discovering new music of similar nature to what you know.

Start a station of just one or two favorite groups and see what else pops up.
.. Then I use Spotify to dig deeper.

A recent find is Riverside that I'll need to dig deeper into.

I found Gordian Knot that way - and a few others.  I'd heard of Can, then they started popping up on one of my stations.

No Civilization here. Tried it on but it would not fit.
Seems only a thin veneer. A little rubbing and it comes off quick.
- The Bears
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 21:34
^ Once you are into checking Riverside, you might want to check out other Polish bands as well. I have heard a few others that are really great. Oh yeah, and for your King Crimson connection, you have to check out Hybris, by Anglagard.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 22:39
Aside from the obvious Yes, Genesis and ELP or even Camel, VDGG and Gentle Giant suggestions that might inevitably pop up I suggest checking out krautrock(Can, AD2, Faust, Popol Vuh etc) and Canterbury in particular including Caravan, Gong, Hatfield and the North etc. Also, since you said you like psych definitely check out proto prog stuff which often had psych elements since it was mostly transitional from psych to early prog. 
 Post Reply Post Reply