Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody ever see Haken live?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
esha9751 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esha9751 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody ever see Haken live?
    Posted: August 25 2020 at 04:46
What amazed me the most was the drummer keeping everything tight and throwing in a lot extra stuff compared to the studio albums, while the rest of the band worked hard just to do their part. One awesome drummer!

Edited by esha9751 - August 25 2020 at 05:30
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2018 at 17:22
Originally posted by Nomadic Nomadic wrote:

I've seen them 3 times - the Mountain, Affinity, and the 10 year anniversary tours. They are amazing! Stellar players having a good time, not show-off-y, and no macho metal BS. They definitely get technical and heavy, but they're very dynamic and they put the SONGS first. Great vocals, including backups from everyone. Their albums are readily available through Amazon, Burning Shed, lasercd.com, etc. Highly recommended.

Thanks!  Especially for the heads up on outlets for their discs.  
Nomadic View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nomadic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2018 at 15:06
I've seen them 3 times - the Mountain, Affinity, and the 10 year anniversary tours. They are amazing! Stellar players having a good time, not show-off-y, and no macho metal BS. They definitely get technical and heavy, but they're very dynamic and they put the SONGS first. Great vocals, including backups from everyone. Their albums are readily available through Amazon, Burning Shed, lasercd.com, etc. Highly recommended.
http://nomadichorizonband.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 17:17
I've seen them twice and they are very good live. I do believe they sell cds at shows but I don't remember for sure.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 15:56
Go for it! Support live prog! I saw them a year or do ago and if you like modern prog but with a link to the classic era, they will be well worth your drive - especially given some good support too by the looks of it. I wish they played the UK more, but they have built up a good international following over the last few years. Check them out on YouTube - both the earlier albums (Aquarius, Visions and their breakthrough The Mountain release) and the later tracks (from Affinity) and you'll know their style and whether they fit your musical profile. The newly released live album will obviously reflect their current track choices even more.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 14:57
Hmmm....

I know nothing of Bent Knee or Leprous.  Will have to check them out.  May make the difference in my deciding to go or not.  

Unfortunately, none of my friends are into prog (or even much live music of any stripe for that matter).  Usually go to prog shows with my son, but he'll be off in college by the time the tour hits home.  
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 14:36
I saw them at ROSfest a couple of years ago, not really my thing, they seemed competent enough, I've already got tickets for the tour as I do want to see Bent Knee & Leprous.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 14:27
They are coming to Seattle in Nov with Bent Knee and Leprous, already have tickets. I prefer earlier Haken but I have all their albums on vinyl.
Looking forward to it....
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 02:14
This doesn't really count: I saw them last year at Be Prog! My Friend in Barcelona, playing Dream Theater material with Mike Portnoy as their drummer. Incredible musicians by all accounts. But yeah, they didn't play any of their own stuff.

I'd say go for it. You'll be baffled by how good they are at their instruments.
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 21:05
They're coming to within in hour of home.  I know little about them, especially since their CDs seem unavailable.  But I love the YouTubes I've listened to.

Also, if you've been to a show, did they have CDs available for purchase there?  
 Post Reply Post Reply