Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Howdy, and thanks for the site!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Howdy, and thanks for the site!
    Posted: July 22 2018 at 11:49
Longtime prog fan joining here, but one with some significant gaps in my prog resume.

I grew up in a rural area in the US with no radio reception long before the internet. Most of my "peers" were pure country (ugh!) and I got little exposure to prog.  There were a few stoners and although I didn't smoke myself, I hung out with them because they were much more interesting, and listened to way better music, although that was mostly Zep/Stones/Who, etc.  

Although I didn't know it was prog yet, I knew I liked that kind of music based on hearing an occasional ELP, Moody Blues, or Kansas tune on the car radio when I got to drive to the nearest city.

Then, I went to college in 1981 and it all exploded.  But this is still very pre internet and most of my contemporaries were sticking with arena rock or new wave, and my college wasn't very diverse, so I was still limited mostly to the big names.

After that, it was marriage, career, kids, and with what little free time I had, I was indulging my love of other genres.  In my 20s, it was classical and then blues, in my 30s, it was new age and world music, and in my 40s, it was jazz and fusion.  Then all my kids grew up and moved out, my career settled down nicely, and now I have lots of time to indulge all my hobbies, including music, and part of that is getting caught up on all the great groups I either missed out on, or never heard of in those intervening decades.

I look forward to learning from this community as well as sharing what I can.  
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 11:55
Welcome! I am about ten years younger than you, but listened almost as long prog as you.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 12:11
Welcome, I'm about Mortte's age. Hope you find the conversations here stimulating and discover lots of great music along the way. The people here really helped to open up new musical avenues for me.

Classical was my first love, then I got into classic rock including Prog, then I became very big on soundtracks, and that remains so. Then jazz and new age and Electronic music in my 20s, Then I re-discovered Prog at around 30. I started with Symphonic Prog, then it was bands like Gentle Giant, King Crimson, and Van der Graaf Generator, then the Italian scene, then the French scene, and then I discovered various strange and wondrous to me avenues (RIO, Zeuhl, Krautrock, acid folk, progressive electronic etc.). Every discovery led to something else. I never really managed to get into metal even if I like music that has a metal element.

Really hope you enjoy your time here. It's not as busy a community as it has been, but there's still plenty of discussion to be had here. There are plenty of informed, amusing and interesting people at this site that have certainly helped me to broaden my horizons (not just in music), as well as entertaining and tolerating me.

Edited by Logan - July 22 2018 at 12:15
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 12:46
Great introduction.   Nice to rediscover old passions.

Good to have you here at PA .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply