0 [0.00%]
1 [1.96%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vampire films
    Posted: July 23 2018 at 16:28
"Leave me the f**k alone!" From Vampire's Kiss.

So I only stuck to ones that I like, and I know that I'm missing lots of very popular ones. I wanted Fright Night there.... Oh and just remembered Lifeforce.
Feel free to mention any others -- I have a thing for vampire and zombie movies.

Bram Stoker's Dracula (which I saw in the cinema) would be there if it weren't for Keanu Reeves. And I know that there's some genre stuff like Blade and Underworld films that some will lament not being on the list -- just a matter of space. The list is merely a starting point for discussion and I know I miseed lots of great ones.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 17:31
I miss "Les lèvres rouges" on the list. a movie with female vampires. the English title is "Daughters of Darkness"

Edited by BaldJean - July 23 2018 at 17:42

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 17:51
Oh, I have seen "Daughters of Darkness", that is a good one.

One that I thought of right after posting, and regretted not including, but then it's a film about remaking a film about vampires, is "Irma Vep" (an anagram of "vampire") -- a film directed by Olivier Assayas and starring the Hong Kong actress Maggie Cheung, which is about a director wanting to remake the classic silent film "Les Vampires".

Oh, and maybe to tie it in with the Martial Arts films one that I did, I should have mentioned Kung Fu Vampire — Kung Fu From Beyond the Grave.

Edited by Logan - July 23 2018 at 17:58
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 20:37
ahhh..  well done Greg.  You had the one I had hoped you would have.

What rules more than kung fu flicks...  Chuck Norris kung fu flicks.

and what rules more than Vampire flicks.. yep... 

thread over man...  thread OVER!!! hahahha

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 22:59
Interesting list...Bram Stokers Dracula is my all time fave, but from these choices Bela Lugosi's 1931 version get's my vote Wink 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 07:14
I should have made the joke option, "Vampires suck".

Micky and everyone else, list any others you like. Micky, Near Dark is one of my favourites on this list, so I'd really like to hear about any others you like that you can remember.

The one on the list that made the biggest impact on me is The Hunger.

I'm going to quote Dr Wu who inspired this with my response from another poll I made.

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

A bit surprised that no one voted for The Hunger....since Bowie had a part in it.....very stylish vampire film.
I missed it on the list but went back and voted just now.

It's my brother's favourite film, and is very stylish indeed. Fans of Bauhaus would like it too. I've mentioned it any various forums over the years, and you're the first person that I can remember commenting it, so I'm one happy camper. I think that it's both an underknown and it's a seriously underrated film. Of course some like it because of an erotic scene with Susan Sarandon and Catherine Deneuve....

It has a critics consensus at Rotten Tomatoes of 48%, but fares much better with audience score at 66%. I think that the "critics" are often not the best judges as they often are too busy making notes and overthinking thing as they watch too just experience a film. It's made worse when you go to one of those special screening for critics, and you get one shot to remember, and everyone there is busy making notes instead of just taking it all in. Reviewing films often killed them for me. Too often I hear from critics things like "This film is confusing", when there is an internal logic and they just don't get it. These are the guys who should be able to make sense of such things, but especially when those reviews just came from one movie screening and they are having to watch lots of films, the experience can confuse. It doesn't help when thy are not that familiar with the genre or it is not a genre that they appreciate, or when they have too many genre expectations.

Quotes taken from https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1010220_hunger?

"Visual sensualities will have a feast, but you'll have to read Whitley Strieber's novel if you don't want to emerge with a badly scratched head."

Nonsense, never read the novel and it made enough sense to me on first viewing.

"The Hunger is an agonizingly bad vampire movie, circling around an exquisitely effective sex scene. Sorry, but that's the way it is, and your reporter has to be honest" (Roger Ebert).

Maybe it's just not your thing, other than the sex scene. Still miss you, Roger Ebert.

"The obsessive conjunction of lesbian sex and flowing blood suggests a deep-seated misogyny, but neither this nor any other theme is registered with enough clarity to offend."

I'm sure some would find it offensive -- try showing it to various orthodox religious groups or do a public screening of it in Saudi Arabia.

"Bloody lesbian-vampire story is stylish, but no Twilight" (Renee Schonfeld).

It's no "every other film on my list" either. Is Twilight really that great? It only has 49 percent at rotten tomatoes, not that I care about such ratings, and I don't think it's a great comparison, perhaps it is time for peer reviewing film reviews before publication.

"More style than substance, and perhaps simply an excuse to get Denueve and Susan Sarandon, Miriam's post-Bowie love, in bed together" (The Austin Chronicle).

I could think of worse excuses.

"A film with legendary cast and photograph. Underestimated at the time, but like any other cult movies, was able to find its audience. [Full review in Spanish]"

"Vampire movies were always cool, but it took The Hunger to make them modern."

"As good a horror film in the most pure, rarefied sense of "horror" that the '80s produced in English' (The Agony and the Ecstasy).

I'm not really a Nicholas Cage fan (really like Adaptation), but Vampire's Kiss from 1989 made my top ten films list (plus The Hunger) after I saw it in 1990 on video. It's a terrific black comedy, and that reminds me that I had intended to add Kiss of the Vampire when I made this list. Good thing that the original list is only intended as an accessory to discussion and a jumping off point for talking about vampire films.

One that I thought would get a number of quick votes is The Fearless Vampire Killers -- surprised to see it with none (not my favourite Polanski film, but it is fun). I thought that would be a popular film, but then it is early days and non-music topics don't seem to be hugely popular here (except for those unending Just For Fun type topics), and the American Politics Thread keeps on going, not surprisingly, as Trump keeps on being Trump and investigators keep on investigating.

EDIT: meant to mention this. Another particular favourite of mine is Let the Right One In (the Swedish film from 2008). There was an English language remake called Let Me In in 2010, but I haven't seen it (I very rarely like the remakes as much as the originals, and almost never when it comes to Hollywood type remakes of "foreign" films or TV).

Edited by Logan - July 24 2018 at 08:03
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 08:03
Since there's no Jean Rollin on the list I voted for Vampyros Lesbos.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 08:14
What's your favourite, or particular favourites, of any of the Jean Rollin films? Always looking for recommendations and to broaden my horizons. I might have seen The Nude Vampire, but Grapes of Death looks interesting (and I happen to like other similarly titled things such as The Grapes of Wrath and the Apes of Wrath).
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 08:36
Grapes of Death is not bad. The Living Dead Girl is probably my favourite.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 08:41
Thanks, I will look for it.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 08:45
the director of "Daughters of Darkness", Harry Kümel, made another horror movie (but without vampires) that I consider to be even better. it is called "Malpertuis" and based on a novel by Belgian author Jean Ray. there are 2 versions of it, the Cannes version and an extended version that is half an hour longer. the British actress Susan Hampshire plays 3 female leads (Alice, Euryale, Nancy) and 2 minor roles (the wife and a nurse) in the movie, and she looks different in every role. the first time I saw the movie I did not know she played 3 different leads and did not notice it.

in some scenes of the movie all of her 3 leads can be seen at the same time which is remarkable because the movie is from 1971

Edited by BaldJean - July 27 2018 at 01:18

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 09:19
From that list..probably The Horror of Dracula with Christopher Lee.....a great Dracula...but Bram Stokers Dracula with Oldman is excellent.
My guilty pleasure up there is Lair Of the White Worm which I never thought of as a vampire film but it';s good fun.....with a part with Peter Capaldi who we know later did Dr Who.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 09:34
here is a trailer for "Malpertuis". it is in French, but the visuals should be enough to make your mouth water:

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 10:57
I'm a bit surprised that Interview With The Vampire (Brad Pitt, Cruise, Slater, Banderas, ) is not on the list.....imho a very good adaptation of the book....though of course the book is better.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 11:15
Caught Interview with the Vampire on TV. I thought about including it, but to be honest, I wasn't that keen on it at the time. I started on the book, but put it down before I finished. Oh, and when I caught the film, that was when I was most into my non-English language art house cinema phase (plus Indie films), and I sneered at most things Hollywood then.

Didn't think anyone else here would know Lair of the White Worm, and I haven't thought of it really as a vampire film either (but somewhat related, especially as it is loosely based on a Bram Stoker novel) -- questioned including it.

Oldman was great in Bram Stoker's Dracula (almost included it despite Keanu Reeves wooden performance and bad accent -- would have liked to see him get a wooden stake through his heart), but Christopher Lee is the man.

And Malpertuis looks excellent, Jean.

Edited by Logan - July 24 2018 at 11:21
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 13:12
"Malpertuis" is a real gem and undeservedly very little known. The story is not easy to follow though; reading the book by Jean Ray as background is highly recommended (and the book is no easy read either). We had both read the book before we watched the movie.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 23:10
"Malpertuis" is also a film for all who love movies with a twist ending. just as the movie reaches the climax and you think you know how it will end - bang, here comes the twist ending, and you go "oooo-kay, so this it how it's going to end" but perhaps a little disappointed because although it is a twist ending it is by no means a unique one; there are many movies with a similar twist ending. and just as you think that - bang, there is another twist ending, and you go "wtf?"

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 09:25
Murnau's Nosferatu (Eine Symphonie des Grauens) from 1922 still trumps everything that followed in my book. Max Schreck's depiction of Count Orlok is tantamount to that of 'a penis with teeth'Shocked
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 09:49
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Murnau's Nosferatu (Eine Symphonie des Grauens) from 1922 still trumps everything that followed in my book.

my opinion too. and "Schreck" is actually the German word for "scare, fright"

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 09:55
Not my favorite sub-genres of horror. I always like the Frankenstein, werewolf or zombie movies more.

I went with in 30 Days of Night but from Dusk til Dawn gets honorable mention.

Also the 1979 Dracula with Frank Langella & Lawrence Olivier wasn't bad.

Edited by Argo2112 - July 25 2018 at 10:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>