0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.96%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 06:38
Love Hammer. Dracula for me will always be Lee pursued by Cushings Van Helsing.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 02:03
From the list, Let the Right one in. If that's the original Swedish version.. I'm guessing it is.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 06:59
I really enjoyed "Shadow of the Vampire" when I watched it, but only up to a certain scene in which the character Gustav von Wangenheim uses the word "Scheißkopf". This totally ruined the movie for me. "Scheißkopf" is not a German word at all; no German would ever use it. The word is nothing but a literal and false translation of "sh*thead" into German. A German would say "Scheißkerl", which literally translates as "sh*t guy". When this word was used it totally ruined the credibility of the movie for me.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 07:18
Near Dark is a tremendous movie and gets my main vote. I've seen about 80% of these movies with, for me, other standouts as The Fearless Vampire Killers, 30 Days of Night, What We Do in the Shadows and From Dusk Til Dawn.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 00:47
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

From the list, Let the Right one in. If that's the original Swedish version.. I'm guessing it is.

It most definitely is. I think the remake is called Let Me In. I haven't seen the remake and don't plan to -- well, I think I caught a bit of it.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 13:13
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

What an amazing character Christopher Lee was in so many ways. And with him in The Man With The Golden Gun, I had thought of a little spin-off called "The Man with the Superfluous Mammalian Gland that Is a Nipple". Catchy title, I thought.

It was called Fantasy Island .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 14:11
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

What an amazing character Christopher Lee was in so many ways. And with him in The Man With The Golden Gun, I had thought of a little spin-off called "The Man with the Superfluous Mammalian Gland that Is a Nipple". Catchy title, I thought.

It was called Fantasy Island .

"Look boss, da plane, da plane" (Tattoo).

"Welcome to Fantasy Island" (Mr. Roarke).
"How do you like my island, Mr Bond?" (Scaramanga).

Christopher Lee on an island with three nipples and a little man-servant could sound like a dream come true to some, but those nipples and servant are potentially deadly.

I wrote a rather humorous -- humour being in the eye of the beholder -- and long treatise many years ago for a defunct site comparing the Man With the Golden Gun and Fantasy Island (and also comparing those to The Prisoner). Obviously both take place on islands, both have Hervé Villechaize looking much the same as Nick Nack and Tattoo and in in similar positions, Ricardo "Khannnnnn!" Montalban and Christoper Lee''s characters have definite similarities (in build, fashion sense, greyinging sideburn area, and more, and I find both sinister) both feature planes and both deal in fantasy -- one where the fantasy fulfillment involves the island's host killing the guest, and the other where the island's host is providing fantasy-fulfillment for the guests.

Mr. Roarke with Tattoo vs. Scaramanga with Nick Nick, now that could be a duel between titans... my man-servant against yours. By the way, man-servant can refer to a part of the male anatomy, so I should stop saying that.

Speaking of vampires and fantasy island, there was an episode of Fantasy Island called "Vampire/The Lady and the Longhorn".

And I watched the Buck Rogers vampire episode again the other night (recorded off MeTV -- two favourites from their sci-fi night for me being The Invaders and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea).

Edited by Logan - August 28 2020 at 14:13
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 14:55
Oh my god I think that's the Brady Bunch's Robert Reed.

Roarke's fantasys usually involved some punishment or cautionary tale for the client, so the similarities between it and Golden Gun are quite striking.   One almost wonders if they offered the show to Lee first.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 21:40
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

From that list..probably The Horror of Dracula with Christopher Lee.....a great Dracula...but Bram Stokers Dracula with Oldman is excellent.
My guilty pleasure up there is Lair Of the White Worm which I never thought of as a vampire film but it';s good fun.....with a part with Peter Capaldi who we know later did Dr Who.

Christopher Lee Is a absolute magnificent actor add. Vincent Price and Peter Cushion superb talented trio...
Hammer House Of Horrors: movies are absolute favourites of mine...

You know which one took my vote
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 21:54
Both the Murnau and the Herzog versions of Nosferatu are great. I find the 1931 Dracula to be stagey and stale. The Coppola version of Dracula isn't too sharp either. I don't know too many other vampire films.

Edited by Polymorphia - September 04 2020 at 21:54
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 12:56
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Both the Murnau and the Herzog versions of Nosferatu are great. I find the 1931 Dracula to be stagey and stale. The Coppola version of Dracula isn't too sharp either. I don't know too many other vampire films.

Hi,

The Bela Lugosi version has some really well spoken dialogue that comes off really well, specially considering that English was not Bela Lugosi's first language. I have not noticed that if it was dubbed at all, as the face and expressions do not appear to be out of sync ... 

Try listening to the film, instead of watching it ... the words come out really well, and stronger than almost all the versions of the story. It doesn't sound "acted", or the words twisted in a way that fits the characterization of the Count ... which was very visible in Herzog's ... and while I like Christopher Lee's versions, even his words in the LP/CD of the reading, are not as smooth as Bela's. They are nice, but not as "visual" for me.

Edited by moshkito - September 21 2020 at 13:00
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 01:30
Horror of Dracula
From Dusk til Dawn
Fright Night
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123