Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Atheist Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atheist Prog
    Posted: July 25 2018 at 06:27
Possibly a narrow category, but let's see what anyone can come up with. To give ourselves a bit more scope let's include ‘agnostic but sceptical' for purposes of the thread.

Peter Hammill would be an obvious choice, but instead let's start with an instrumental:

Edited by Mascodagama - July 25 2018 at 06:28
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 08:20
Rush is the first band that comes to mind. Neil Peart is pretty transparent  with his views on religion in songs like Freewill & Faithless among others. 
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 09:17
The Only Way from side two of the Tarkus album by ELP springs to mind...
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 09:46
^Yea, Pete Sinfield blows Neil Peart away in terms of atheism...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 09:52
Jethro Tull have their moments
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 09:59
Hammill:

Edited by Mascodagama - July 25 2018 at 10:00
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 21:30
There should be some of it in Roger Waters (and Pink Floyd, by default). The one that comes to my mind is the Breathe reprise after Time.
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 22:39
I mean, Dark Side of the Moon all around is pretty nihilistic.

I mean Eclipse can be summed up as: Yeah all this crap that everyone does is pointless in the end: "everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

The album is very much just Roger Waters in a depressed bout of melancholy and nihilism.

Great Gig In the Sky comes to mind especially, with the spoken intro.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2018 at 00:48
Muse - Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist

I do like this track a lot and yes I do think this is a prog track (not all Muse is of course)
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2018 at 09:50
Muse - Knights of Cydonia (I personally think it qualifies as prog) and it definitely has some atheistic, or at least heavily agnostic, ideas in it.

Lines like: "I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job."
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2018 at 21:31
Originally posted by philipemery philipemery wrote:

I mean, Dark Side of the Moon all around is pretty nihilistic.

I mean Eclipse can be summed up as: Yeah all this crap that everyone does is pointless in the end: "everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

The album is very much just Roger Waters in a depressed bout of melancholy and nihilism.

Great Gig In the Sky comes to mind especially, with the spoken intro.

Though the spoken intro to Great Gig, as well as all the spoken parts on the album, were not written by anyone in the band. They went along (I think within the recording studios) asking people about... well, I don't know about what, but they got all that bunch of answers and they used the ones they felt worked best (they were supposed to have actually asked Paul McCartney too, but his response was too uninteresting and they didn't use it). However, Amused to Death has it's share of atheist philosophy, so to speak (the most obvious ones would the What God Wants).
 Post Reply Post Reply