Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greetings from Canada

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings from Canada
    Posted: July 25 2018 at 21:09
Hi all proggers,
I am an old reader of the PA site but newly registered.
I like reading your reviews, and some new reviews could be posted in a near future by myself.
I live in Canada, more specifically in province of Quebec.
Prog is part of my life since 40+ years, after my brother bought Dark Side of the Moon in 1975.
However, I must tell my very first love in music has been Led Zeppelin, and it remains one of my preferred bands.
Some bands I like are Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd , Harmonium , Rush (from 70's), Marillion , IQ, Pendragon (80's),
Spock's Beard, Arena (90's), Neal Morse, Transatlantic (00's), Unreal City (10's) and many others.
Opeth, Maiden, Dream Theater are also amongst favorites in a more metal environment.

That's it for now, and thanks for sharing your reviews about the greatest music genre in the world,
Serge
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2018 at 10:24
Welcome Serge!  I grew up in Montreal and was weaned on prog from CHOM-FM and CKVL-FM, then CKOI-FM.
The CRTC dealt a big blow to prog on the airwaves when they forced CHOM to be unilingual English, and somehow that also meant that CHOM became more of a hard rock station, with only the first tier prog bands in terms of popularity still being on the playlist.  Some of may favorite groups I discovered at the time thanks to CHOM and CKOI (and my older brother):

King Crimson
Genesis
Moody Blues
Strawbs
Barclay James Harvest
Sebastian Hardie
Tai Phong
Mike Oldfield
Alan Parsons Project
Renaissance
Cano
Seguin
Tangerine Dream
Lake

Question for you:  Do you remember a very prog oriented French language paper called "Pop Rock"?  It was in tabloid format.  In addition to throwing out my old comic books, my mother also thew out my collection of Pop Rock that was probably several dozen papers.  Sigh.  I bet if I still had those papers I would be able to uncover even more classics I missed, as well as read about bands I discovered after the 70s but who were active back then, because pop rock liked to uncover obscurities

DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2018 at 11:36
Hi Keneth,
yes, I remember the Pop Rock. I even did subscribe to receive it by mail.
I remember seeing the face of Fish for the first time in this magazine, in an article about Marillion around 1983-84 (There is no pictures of the band members on the Script album and no Internet to search for at this time).
As many people, I am no more listening to CHOM.

Bye

Edited by DarkTower - July 26 2018 at 11:38
 Post Reply Post Reply