Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70's Obscure Prog Bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 12:09
Double post.

Edited by verslibre - July 31 2018 at 12:11
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 12:10
^Mythos, Celeste, Earth & Fire and Illusion (feat. Jane Relf) are great!

Another lost prog folk rock gem: Narnia – Aslan is Not a Tame Lion (1974). Just got issued on CD a couple years ago with bonus tracks.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 12:18
Syrinx, Guns & Butter, These Tails, Chrysalis, Brainchild, Duncan Browne ...etc.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 14:24
Not massively into prog-folk, but I'd add this to the list:

Mellow Candle: Swaddling Songs (1972)

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2018 at 14:40
^Mellow Candle is a fun old prog folk thing.....looks like most of the good obscure ones have been mentioned ..though many that were named aren't all that obscure to most of us who collect such things.
Not that unheard of but I'm a fan of both Spring and Fantasy.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2018 at 15:02
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^Mellow Candle is a fun old prog folk thing.....looks like most of the good obscure ones have been mentioned ..though many that were named aren't all that obscure to most of us who collect such things.

Never heard Fantasy, but love the Spring album...Golden Fleece is a great song Wink
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 07:16
In case you were looking for some obscure prog fusion from the 70's here's a small list of stuff I have that offers some really enjoyable listening. Brand X, Isotope, Vortex, Virgo, Stomu Yamash'ta, Sloche, Skywhale, Ruphus, Quinteplus, Prism, Pierre Moerlen, Perigeo, PSI, Janne Schaffer, Barry Miles, ZAO, Ian Carr, Flame Dream, Iceberg, Katamaran, Leb I Sol, Catapilla, Edition Speciale, Compost, Moose Loose. Just a few.
Deafmoon
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 18:26
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 20:10
Prism is Prog?  Is there more than one Prism?
The Prism I know, I kinda like, but it seemed like mainstream arena rock to me.  Much in the vein of Honeymoon Suite.

What about Max Webster? Used to tour with Rush back in the day.  Kinda' prog-ish.  
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 07:48
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Prism is Prog?  Is there more than one Prism?
The Prism I know, I kinda like, but it seemed like mainstream arena rock to me.  Much in the vein of Honeymoon Suite.

What about Max Webster? Used to tour with Rush back in the day.  Kinda' prog-ish.  

Yes, Prism from Japan. Prism, Second Thought/Second Move and Prism Live are the best of their albums. These guys probably opened the door for prog/fusion  in Japan. Alot like Brands X and Return To Forever. Worth seeking out.
Deafmoon
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 13:43
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Never heard Fantasy, but love the Spring album...Golden Fleece is a great song Wink

Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 13:45
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 11:51
Hi,

There were a couple of things on the HARVEST label that showed up in different countries that were really nice, although at times, thinking of them as "progressive" has a way of sidestepping the quality of the music, and its own beauty ... it's not like we have to compare all women to Venus de Milo, right?

I remember things like the early KAYAK, which was outstanding, ALQUIN that had excellent material all the way to "Best Kept Secret", and then on the German side, I remember TANNED LEATHER, which I can not remember very well, except that it was very nice, and CHERUBIN which also had at least a couple of very nice pieces on that album.

I can not think, right now, of things from France or Italy, but that is just an example of some of the different things out there. And, of course, we must not forget the SADISTIC MIKA BAND, which was excellent for its 3 albums (and the Live one without Mika), and sadly went out with a wimper ... though Mr. Takanaka is still going and playing a lot. But others out of it, IMAI had a very nice album even if it felt a bit too PF'ish at times, but at least it did not sound like Kitaro, and of course, one of the folks that we have not heard a lot of but had a lot of interesting music ... STOMU YAMASH'TA ... the thing most know about him is the GO albums, and those are nowhere near as good as his other stuff, and his later material was not even released, like the piece found later on video, I have never found on an album and it was very nice.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 12:08
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

There were a couple of things on the HARVEST label that showed up in different countries that were really nice, although at times, thinking of them as "progressive" has a way of sidestepping the quality of the music, and its own beauty ... it's not like we have to compare all women to Venus de Milo, right?

I remember things like the early KAYAK, which was outstanding, ALQUIN that had excellent material all the way to "Best Kept Secret", and then on the German side, I remember TANNED LEATHER, which I can not remember very well, except that it was very nice, and CHERUBIN which also had at least a couple of very nice pieces on that album.

I can not think, right now, of things from France or Italy, but that is just an example of some of the different things out there. And, of course, we must not forget the SADISTIC MIKA BAND, which was excellent for its 3 albums (and the Live one without Mika), and sadly went out with a wimper ... though Mr. Takanaka is still going and playing a lot. But others out of it, IMAI had a very nice album even if it felt a bit too PF'ish at times, but at least it did not sound like Kitaro, and of course, one of the folks that we have not heard a lot of but had a lot of interesting music ... STOMU YAMASH'TA ... the thing most know about him is the GO albums, and those are nowhere near as good as his other stuff, and his later material was not even released, like the piece found later on video, I have never found on an album and it was very nice.
Interesting post, mosh, thanks...
       ALQUIN are one of my favorite Continental European groups, hailing from the Netherlands, and I have their first two studio albums, and luv em to bits!
          Btw, TANNED LEATHER featured at one point, TRIUMVIRAT's Juergen Fritz, doing keys on their first album! Very tasteful material, but oddly, more country rock sounding.
           I have heard only one of YAMASH'TA's albums, and it featured in part some keys playing by J. Peter Robinson from QUATERMASS. very well done. I believe it was released in '71, though don't recall it's title.
      SADISTIC MIKA BAND I know by name only, and will have to rectify that!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 13:22
Haquin
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 14:46
THE MEDIUM 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVaszw74SQc
Vasey Hall View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vasey Hall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 12:50
Here's a very underrated 70's prog band (imo at least):
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 19:06
GG's definitely not underrated...anywhere/everywhere. (:
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 00:46
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Another lost prog folk rock gem: Narnia – Aslan is Not a Tame Lion (1974). Just got issued on CD a couple years ago with bonus tracks.

I wouldn't really consider that album Folk Prog. More on the psychedelic end of things to be honest, so maybe Psychedelic Folk, but a bit of it is just straight psych.

It is definitely a great lost gem that should be remembered though.

Edited by philipemery - August 15 2018 at 00:47
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 15:55
Originally posted by philipemery philipemery wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I wouldn't really consider that album Folk Prog. More on the psychedelic end of things to be honest, so maybe Psychedelic Folk, but a bit of it is just straight psych.

It is definitely a great lost gem that should be remembered though.

It's folk rock. It's just grouped under prog because of the time. It's more specifically called acid folk. 

https://www.discogs.com/Narnia-Aslan-Is-Not-A-Tame-Lion/master/466117

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>