Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70's Obscure Prog Bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 08:49
I just listened to this again. PINGUIN is so obscure that it was only included on PA last year.

I stand by my 5 star rating. This is one of those brilliant albums that mixes catchy pop hooks with excellent prog technicalities perfectly.

The only hurdle for many may be that the lyrics are in the German language but for me that doesn't matter.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 08:16
^ Interesting lp...kind of Mogul Thrash meets Web...or something like that.
Maybe 4 stars...Can't see it at 5 stars though....hell I don't think I have ever given anything 5 ..
Wink 

Looks like the OP is long gone..but I'll mention both Web and Samurai...two of my favorite obscure bands from the 70's.

Edited by dr wu23 - September 24 2020 at 20:38
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 10:31
Want to know about little known 70s prog? Look no further than here Wink:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUFeBYmR0DbJ8dofbfwZJbg/playlists?view_as=subscriber
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 10:52
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Want to know about little known 70s prog? Look no further than here Wink:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUFeBYmR0DbJ8dofbfwZJbg/playlists?view_as=subscriber

That YouTube address looks familiar. Thumbs Up

The only really obscure artist on my first A-Z list is Zzebra, but that's only because I couldn't think of any other British prog artists beginning with the letter "Z" Smile

Jon Anderson (20 albums)
Barclay James Harvest (26 albums)
Camel (18 albums)
Deep Purple (29 albums)
Electric Light Orchestra
Fruupp
David Gilmour
Annie Haslam
Illusion
Jade Warrior
King Crimson
Jon Lord
The Moody Blues
Nektar
Mike Oldfield
Pink Floyd
Queen
Renaissance
Spooky Tooth
Traffic
Uriah Heep
Van der Graaf Generator
Rick Wakeman
Yes
Zzebra
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 11:16
I already mentioned this obscure U.S. Progressive rock band on another thread, but nevermind because their only album is really great and I highly recommend it.

The Facedancers - "The Facedancers" (1972)

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 17:46
Hi,

The listing here for the 70's stuff is almost exactly like a listing of bands and material from Guy Guden's original SPACE PIRATE RADIO that started in Santa Barbara in January 1974. The listing of those bands, by many folks here, is almost a crazy copy of the listing of stuff played in the Space Pirate's shows ... and I think it was in the middle of 1974, apparently someone made a comment, or joke, about the number of bands played, and by that time, he had already played over 100 of those bands, and we're not talking ... just a song ... almost all of the albums got the full treatment ... it's just a shame that the listing for those shows can not be shown (it's not complete), because they are one of the most important records that ... IT WAS NOT OBSCURE ... it was out there, and we just needed to hear it ... and many of us did!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Paulo V View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulo V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 02:31
Marsupilami
 Apple
 Apoteosi
 Ys
 Yeti
 Tilt
 East Of Eden
Chillum
Wallace Connection
Alphataurus
Balletti Rosa Di Macchia
Ainigma
Asterix
A Euphonius Wail

Well to mention some few...some of them  an album only maximum 3!

Edited by Paulo V - September 26 2020 at 02:38
Always taking the point with the dawn patrol fraternity...
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 14:41
The most obscure of early  1970's Prog rock bands I have listened to recently would be Spontaneous Combustion who were friends with Greg Lake and I think they supported ELP on tour. But didn't seem to catch on. 
Here is 'Brainstorm' , not related to the Hawkwind track. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aePH5GatPCg

Edited by Droxford - October 11 2020 at 15:23
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 15:17

Decent stuff but a bit too late for the time period...psych was almost gone...
do I hear a Zep riff in there? Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 15:32
Thanks for posting the track for me, had a go at editing my post to get a  You tube link to 'Brainstorm' but didn't quite work. 
Yes, see quite a link to  '60's psychedelia, and maybe Spontaneous Combustion  sounded a bit too outdated for the 1970's prog rock crowd and band didn't quite make it to space rock. Will have to look them up in Greg Lake's autobiography. 

Decent stuff but a bit too late for the time period...psych was almost gone...
do I hear a Zep riff in there? Wink
[/QUOTE]
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 16:22
Originally posted by Droxford Droxford wrote:

The most obscure of early  1970's Prog rock bands I have listened to recently would be Spontaneous Combustion who were friends with Greg Lake and I think they supported ELP on tour. But didn't seem to catch on. 
Here is 'Brainstorm' , not related to the Hawkwind track. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aePH5GatPCg

Off the top of my head I think bass player Tristram Margetts was a member of both this band and then later 'The Greg Lake Band' (along with Gary Moore , Tommy Eyre and Ted McKenna).
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 14:33
Indeed, just found a long feature on Spontaneous Combustion here : Fascinating reading. Particularly like the account of how a Spontaneous Combustion track  ended up - in error- on the 2012 re-issue of 'Tarkus' as 'Unknown Ballad' . Seems that a final line up of the group ended up recording in West Germany  under the name 'Time'in 1975 with a Krautrock producer, making an album that was compared to early Yes. 
https://bournemouthbeatboom.wordpress.com/spontaneous-combustion/

Off the top of my head I think bass player Tristram Margetts was a member of both this band and then later 'The Greg Lake Band' (along with Gary Moore , Tommy Eyre and Ted McKenna).
[/QUOTE]
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 16:14
Originally posted by Paulo V Paulo V wrote:

Marsupilami
 Apple
 Apoteosi
 Ys
 Yeti
 Tilt
 East Of Eden
Chillum
Wallace Connection
Alphataurus
Balletti Rosa Di Macchia
Ainigma
Asterix
A Euphonius Wail

Well to mention some few...some of them  an album only maximum 3!

Tilt and Ys are album titles not band names. Ill Balletto Di Bronzo put out the album "YS" and Arti E Mestieri put out "tilt." "Yeti" is also an album title(by AD2).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 19 2020 at 16:15
AgeofMadness666 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgeofMadness666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 11:55
If you like groups like Pink Floyd then you must listen to a German band called Jane they made 9 good albums in the 1970's and though their English is not very good they make great music and you should love it.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 11:56
Originally posted by AgeofMadness666 AgeofMadness666 wrote:

If you like groups like Pink Floyd then you must listen to a German band called Jane they made 9 good albums in the 1970's and though their English is not very good they make great music and you should love it.

thanks for mentioning Jane, their 70s albums are must listen indeed.
I believe a lot of people here on PA know them. I would not call them obscure. 
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 12:14
Here's a couple of obscure ones from Washington State:

The Guild - I recommend "Susurrus" - folky, but definitely the prog runs strong in it.  Late '70's if I recall.

Madrigal - "Waiting" - not sure if this was '70's or '80's - but they were *good.*  Spokane area band.  Heavy Genesis/Gentle Giant vibe, but they had their own sound and lots of talent.  I think they had a record deal with Musea back in the day.

Another obscure prog band (from Connecticut, I think), was Holding Pattern.

Edited to add:  Also, "Milkweed" - another obscure prog outfit (Canadian, I think).

Edited by ProfPanglos - October 23 2020 at 13:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234