Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1950's Sci-Fi Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Choose any favourites (multiple choice)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
5 [14.71%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.82%]
5 [14.71%]
1 [2.94%]
2 [5.88%]
2 [5.88%]
4 [11.76%]
5 [14.71%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.94%]
1 [2.94%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.82%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2018 at 11:08
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ I like the music, but it doesn't fit the action well.

that's what I mean. and that goes on throughout the whole movie

Edited by BaldJean - July 28 2018 at 11:20

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2018 at 11:24
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The Amazing Colossal Man is not on the list, but Earth vs. the Flying Saucers and the 1953 War of the Worlds is on the list (unless by "original" you mean that there is a The War of the Worlds film that predates 1953). Gort's laser-sharp vision might need some adjustment (j/K). ;)
My bad!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2018 at 11:47
No worries -- I'm sorry that I couldn't resist a little stab at some Gortesque (I know that looks like a common sort of typo) humour. Love your avatar, and this poll was in part inspired by it.
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2018 at 12:21
I pride myself in having seen a fair bit of cinema over the years but I have to admit that I have seen exactly zero of these movies
Seen a lot of remakes. I love Invasion Of The Body Snatchers with Donald Sutherland for instance... though not really the first time around as it frightened the living daylights out of me. Must've been 8 or 9. I remember having a teddybear named Daniel which I put a black belt on. Nobody messes with black belts y'know!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2018 at 12:40
I prefer the remake, but the original is good (spent some time discussing that in the "60s/70s Speculative/Science Fiction films" poll. I grew up with lots of these on the TV. They don't have any votes, but two of my favourites are "The Man in the White Suit" and "The World, The Flesh and the Devil" (two of which I didn't see as a kid). Still, I'd take The Seventh Seal over all of these.

Edited by Logan - July 29 2018 at 12:42
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2018 at 12:48
Now that one I know! Remember seeing it as a teen by myself and feeling totally engulfed in the 'atmosphere' of it.
I was smitten by dad's love for cinema but he was never the biggest of Bergman fans. He is more of an old school film connoisseur. No funny business! Tell me a great story through wonderful imagery and remarkable actors! That's it.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2018 at 13:21
I would have liked to meet your dad. My Dad introduced me to Bergman (his favourite director) and Fellini and to Kubrick (well, 2001) and to Fantasia. Since he was partially deaf due to an accident in the military, he liked subtitled films and ones that weren't too talky. I saw Amelie with him at the cinema and he loved that. He abhorred Star Wars, which I saw with him when I was very young (I loved that as a child, but now don't at all, so I guess I became more like my dad). I think it was mostly seeing Das Boot in the cinema that made me love non-English language films, and I've always loved reading so somehow subtitles tends to make films better for me (I can be listening in Chinese and it seems like they are speaking English, or it seems like they are speaking Chinese but I understand the language as I stop being aware that I am reading subtitles -- guess that's how it is for most people).

Edited by Logan - July 29 2018 at 13:26
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12