Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

St. Vincent & LCD Soundsystem & Gorillaz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: St. Vincent & LCD Soundsystem & Gorillaz
    Posted: July 26 2018 at 15:43
Anyone else here into LCD Soundsystem and/or St. Vincent and/or Gorillaz? Three great acts that recall early art rock greats like Bowie, Eno, Talking Heads, & Kate Bush. 

Edited by jude111 - May 17 2021 at 21:28
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2018 at 20:40
LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver has been under heavy rotation for me lately. Very fun album. That being said, I can't really see them being included in the database. 

Will have to check out St. Vincent.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2018 at 20:49
I think St. Vincent is a great musical act! Sadly, I don't think it should get included here on the Archives.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2018 at 08:02
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

I think St. Vincent is a great musical act! Sadly, I don't think it should get included here on the Archives.

Under the current sub-genre labels, I agree. I wish PA would add an "art rock" section. Then it would make a lot of sense. I think PA's been moving in this direction, with the inclusion of artists like Bjork, Tori Amos, Talking Heads, and Bowie - all of whom seem very out of place with their inclusion in PA.

Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver has been under heavy rotation for me lately. Very fun album. That being said, I can't really see them being included in the database.

I was a fan of theirs going back to their original singles, but having said that, and I might be in the minority here, but I consider their album last year (American Dream) to be their masterpiece. He's often cited Eno & Byrne as an influence, and you'll hear it all over the new album. And it's such a deep album - rather than being front-loaded, like most albums, some of the best tracks are towards the middle & end (Call the Police, American Dream, Tonite, How Do You Sleep?).

Edited by jude111 - July 27 2018 at 08:31
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 14:21
If Talking Heads and Eno are listed in PA, then St. Vincent and LCD SS should be too
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2018 at 02:46
Talking Heads should never have been included imho, so it would be a poor idea to continue down this path with LCD Soundsystem and St Vincent - two bands I really really dig btw.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2018 at 04:20
^ I see your logic but how so many non prog groups got in is quite amazing!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2018 at 04:30
There was a time when members could add artists as they saw fit. This is the atfermath.
Talking Heads would never have been included had they been suggested today - mostly because prog related today is reserved for acts that either significantly influenced prog rock or somehow put their mark on it. Talking Heads can’t claim anything of that sort.
But yeah there was a time when prog related simply stood for kinda-proggy sounding.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2018 at 07:46
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Talking Heads should never have been included imho, so it would be a poor idea to continue down this path with LCD Soundsystem and St Vincent - two bands I really really dig btw.

I think if we want to popularize ProgArchives again, and bring in more people, then we should create an 'Art Rock/Psychedelic' subgenre. I really think 'art rock' and 'psychedelic' is right now much more relevant and cutting edge than a lot of recent prog I've heard.

And I don't like metal, so 'art rock' would help put some balance back to PA.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2018 at 07:54
On the upside, at least the Grateful Dead never were included.

Edited by SteveG - August 01 2018 at 10:14
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2018 at 08:22
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

If Talking Heads and Eno are listed in PA, then St. Vincent and LCD SS should be too

I know Eno is listed in Progressive Electronic, but Eno should at the least be in Prog Related due to his collaborations.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2018 at 10:14
^Agreed, there's always an exception.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2018 at 08:26
None of those acts should really be liste here IMO. I like them all though, to varying degrees, with St Vincent probably coming out top.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 11:20
Here's a new question. Besides the 3 I listed, who do you think are the best contemporary purveyors of art rock in your opinion, heirs to the lineage est. by 70s-80s Bowie, Eno, Talking Heads, Kate Bush, et al?
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 12:09
^ Late Talk Talk and Stereolab come to mind.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 19:57
Two contemporary bands that I think are a stretch are the 1975 and Arcade Fire. The 1975's track "Love Me" is totally 70s Roxy Music, but it's not really representative of their sound. I like them, but it's hard to call them 'art rock'. As for Arcade Fire, I loved their first and third albums (Funeral and The Suburbs), and their last two albums had some really good tracks on them. Their art rock credentials: Bowie loved them, and even played sax and sang on one of their tracks; and their album Reflektor (the same one that features Bowie) was produced by LCD Soundsystem's James Murphy (who played on Bowie's last album, and was asked to produce it, but he turned Bowie down [can you believe it?!]). My brain says "yes," but my heart says "no." I like them a lot, and clearly they aspire to "art rock" greatness, but at the end of the day, their music just doesn't sound like "art rock" (which is hard to define) to my ears...

Edited by jude111 - August 07 2018 at 20:00
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2018 at 07:08
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

None of those acts should really be liste here IMO. I like them all though, to varying degrees, with St Vincent probably coming out top.

St. Vincent's definitely a prog fan. See if you can spot the rather prominent Yes's "Yours Is No Disgrace"/Steve Howe-influenced lick in "Surgeon": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJYqWw2ibjk

Here's a recent BBC6 interview where she plays her favourite riffs, which includes Jethro Tull and Tool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqS5W14crX8

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I know Eno is listed in Progressive Electronic, but Eno should at the least be in Prog Related due to his collaborations.

For me, Eno's most compelling work to merit inclusion are the vocal albums he did after leaving Roxy Music: Here Come the Warm Jets, Taking Tiger Mountain, Another Green World, and Before and After Science; plus the albums with Cluster (which he sang a bit on), the 801 Live album with Phil Manzanera (which Eno did all the singing), and of course his work on Bowie's seminal Low and Heroes.

Edited by jude111 - September 05 2018 at 07:29
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 07:21
I got to know both LCD Soundsystem and Gorillaz through BBC Glastonbury coverage years ago. Gorillaz were awesome and LCD Soundsystem pretty good, although I didn't think "prog" when listening to them. St. Vincent is one of these artists who I respect a lot because it's clear that they are creative and do quality stuff, but who don't click with me, due to incompatible musical intuition (similar to most of Bowie's output by the way).
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Here's a new question. Besides the 3 I listed, who do you think are the best contemporary purveyors of art rock in your opinion, heirs to the lineage est. by 70s-80s Bowie, Eno, Talking Heads, Kate Bush, et al?

Sufjan Stevens! I also love Foals and Everything Everything but it'd probably be too much of a stretch to include them here. Sufjan Stevens on the other hand seems prog enough for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply