Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yetheract Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to prog
    Posted: July 31 2018 at 15:06
I just started getting into prog, mostly metal. My favorites so far are Dream Theater, Symphony X (Evolution is AMAZING) and Rush but I'm always trying new bands. I always like recommendations, and the things I like most in music are talented vocalists (baritone if possible cause that's what I am, but it's rare in most genres), interesting chord progressions and melodies (Muse and Symphony X are really good at this), heavy guitar (hence prog metal), and synthesizer or other industrial/electronic sounds. If anyone has recommendations that fit some of those descriptions let me know!
Favourite non-prog music include Muse (kinda on the edge between prog and not), Black Veil Brides, Rammstein, KMFDM, Toto, Duran Duran, Michael Jackson, and Green Day. 
I'm a singer, songwriter, and producer, currently working on my first album but I'm still learning to write prog songs so it's mostly industrial/dark wave stuff at the moment. 
I look forward to discovering new music!
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 17:19
Congrats! You are entering a world rich in the opportunity for discovery.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 17:54
Welcome aboard - enjoy and have fun !

(I can't say we share the same preferences but there's plenty to discover and learn here,  so... surely you'll find  suggestions that suit/broaden your taste)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 18:11
Welcome.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 12:38
I know you said you are into prog metal but you should at least check out the most well known and respected bands in the genre such as Genesis(early), Yes, ELP, Pink Floyd, King Crimson and Porcupine Tree. The last two you should like since you like heavier stuff.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 20:40
welcome to the site. lots of interesting things to discover outside of prog metal (zeuhl and krautrock, for example). and good luck with your album

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply