Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog rising?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2018 at 07:25
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Could be that people just aren't into joining old-fashioned forums anymore; not when they can find a prog community on Facebook or Reddit.

Absolutety. Internet habit have changed so much in the last 5 years.

And lots of people only have smartphones or barely used computers/notebooks. (I don't think progarchives is very comfortable to use on a phone.)

That said. I have never seen a captcha here? Must be very lucky.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2018 at 12:09
King Crimson is touring in Europe this autumn. A huge hint about the rising popularity of prog.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2018 at 22:42
It´s true that at least old popular progbands still have a lots of audience at least in their concerts. Magma´s gig (well it was a small club, but anyway), Roger Waters´s gig and also one Wigwam´s gig in Helsinki were/are all sold out.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2018 at 06:51
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Prog rising?  Not in my neck of the woods.  Just yesterday an older friend was asking what kind of music I like best, I said "progressive rock" and got the expected blank stare.  Then as usual I fell back on my standard answer, "progressive rock was really big in the late 60's to late 70's...bands like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd and Yes" (I don't even bother mentioning King Crimson, VDGG, Gentle Giant, etc).  Then I get a flicker of recognition, but probably only because this person was alive and listening to radio back then and heard Lucky Man, Bungle in the Jungle and Roundabout a few hundred times.  

Prog's 15 minutes of fame ended decades ago and beyond the people that are already into it, none of the general population have a clue what progressive rock refers to...especially if you try to describe the genre with any band formed after 1975.  It's sad, but in today's lightning fast paced society you can hardly get anyone to sit still long enough to listen to music they've not heard before for more than 10 seconds let alone the required 20 minutes and several re-listens it takes to really get into most of the music we consider masterpieces.  We are a dying breed Unhappy 

I agree Smile

Born in the early 60s,  my parents loved Classical and Jazz.   Progressive music filled this gap very well indeed!... Cool  Being young too loved pop, with bands such as The Sweet, T-Rex and Fleetwood Mac. 

Shame really!....  It's seems it's left to us as avid fans. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2018 at 09:22
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

Born in the early 60s,  my parents loved Classical and Jazz.   Progressive music filled this gap very well indeed!... Cool  Being young too loved pop, with bands such as The Sweet, T-Rex and Fleetwood Mac. 

Shame really!....  It's seems it's left to us as avid fans. 

All you are saying is that each and every generation had their own preferences, and the parents did not connect with it as well as you and I would have liked. The same thing today. You and I do not connect with our kids listening to what we think is mindless rap … and mind you, even I thought that a lot of rock music after the 60's was about LOUDNESS, not necessarily music, but we still love our loud ones! And of course, by the time some kids hear Black Sabbath in their early days … ohhh wow … that's cool!

We're not minding the history of the arts and music and its continual changes. The appreciation did not disappear, or no one would EVER go to a classic music concert by your local orchestra, even if it is just a bore, like the one here in this town! Ohhh , let's do Mozart's 32nd Concert for Piano and Dog.

"Progressive" has always been there … and you can look at the other arts to see it … and how (sometimes) music is the slower of them all, because of the corporate controls seem to be further up front. You don't hear as much about the writing and the painting industry … which has the same problems, but the rich art gallery folks won't admit it. And they won't show these progressive folks because there are artists that they are getting good money for their work … 

The more things change, the more they stay the same … just wake up to it!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2018 at 11:56
It's not rising in my circle of friends and relatives....I only know the same 2 or 3 people (after the last 15 years now...) that listen to it.
Went to a small record show (vinyl, cd, posters, dvd, etc) in my local area...about 10 traveling vendors....most of the people buying were not at the 'prog table'....(this guy called Greg from CVC collectables . He was the only one there who had any meaningful vinyl and cd that was prog.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12