Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best 90s Prog Metal, Round 1.2: 1991

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these 1991 prog metal albums do you think is the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [21.74%]
4 [17.39%]
7 [30.43%]
1 [4.35%]
6 [26.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 90s Prog Metal, Round 1.2: 1991
    Posted: February 24 2021 at 23:38
Bumping this because my progressive rock/metal/crossover band HAS been revived and we're working on new songs after almost a decade long break! All good prog outfits have big gaps in their activity, right? LOL.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 21:04
death 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 23:37
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Fates Warning will win because this is a prog board, lol. Anywhere else on the internet and Atheist or Death would be your top picks hands down!

Serious question: is there anyway to become like, the official PA curator for extreme tech prog metal? That's like, my passion niche and I get upset there's not more discussion about these bands on here! I'd be the only guy you need. Someone PM me I'll even PayPal funds to help the site out if required!

you complaining Fates Warning winning in a poll is kinda hilarious. The underrated FW win a poll?! LOL

There is no discussion about progressive metal either, it's more likely to be made fun of for listening to progressive metal, I know I was mocked a couple of times. 

Extreme progressive metal is the same thing, if not worse. (There are a few albums and bands I enjoy) 

The days of progressive metal discussions of any kind are pretty much gone.  Ouch

Far from a complaint, more of an observation my friend. PA community is just locked in a circle jerk of classic prog, that's the problem, while without so much as a blush of irony exemplifying dogmatic thinking on a progressive rock board (see the never ending repeat polls, lists, tops, build your own X Y Z album, etc.)

I could care less about progressive metal; it's all about the extreme tech prog bands. Atheist, Death, Cynic, Gorguts, Suffocation, Blotted Science, Spastic Ink, etc. I'm also active in that scene so that's probably why this place is boring me to tears lately. Minimal musician interaction lots of opinions based on little to no stage, touring, or recording time.

Looks like I'll be starting a brand new forum for this topic that I can control. PA is a bad place to gauge anything for interest outside of the big 5/6.

PA has had its time in the sun and I'm certain 99% of you will not enjoy my musical project, so there's little reason for me to contribute anything outside of extreme/tech/prog reviews to PA anymore.

Discussion is clearly dead.

Gloomy words like that, you could join a doom metal band, Frenetic Zetetic.
Well, discussion is not quite dead. My modern prog thread has reached five pages and a lot of that is prog metal (Tesseract, Caligula's Horse, Pyramid Theorem etc.), though certainly not all. And there are people, I think, who have not discovered the genre and want to know more - I, for one, only know the new bands and some Dream Theatre and Opeth, I don't know any of these extreme metal bands like Atheist and Death. So, there's hope - and the fact people like you are so devoted to it shows it's not dead. An appreciation thread might make people remember its existence (always does the trick for me...).

he is not saying the extreme prog genre is gone or over, just that discussions here on that topic are gone, which I guess it's true. 

I wasn't saing that either, if that came accross.

Yes I'm more upset that there's a lack of interest, and thus discussion, in my favorite sub genre of prog! Cry

I have a new extreme tech metal project coming this spring I'll definitely share it here! Odd time signatures, unique riffing, etc.! BRING IT! Wink
Looking forward to it, my friend.

Thank you! Just got my custom Ibanez S670QM in yesterday, it's amazing. Looking forward to setting that up today and getting my new amp in, as well! It's about to get COLD AND SNOWY here in New England; perfect time for writing and composing and recording! Cool

FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 15:53

Fates Warning will win because this is a prog board, lol. Anywhere else on the internet and Atheist or Death would be your top picks hands down!

Serious question: is there anyway to become like, the official PA curator for extreme tech prog metal? That's like, my passion niche and I get upset there's not more discussion about these bands on here! I'd be the only guy you need. Someone PM me I'll even PayPal funds to help the site out if required!

you complaining Fates Warning winning in a poll is kinda hilarious. The underrated FW win a poll?! LOL

There is no discussion about progressive metal either, it's more likely to be made fun of for listening to progressive metal, I know I was mocked a couple of times. 

Extreme progressive metal is the same thing, if not worse. (There are a few albums and bands I enjoy) 

The days of progressive metal discussions of any kind are pretty much gone.  Ouch

Far from a complaint, more of an observation my friend. PA community is just locked in a circle jerk of classic prog, that's the problem, while without so much as a blush of irony exemplifying dogmatic thinking on a progressive rock board (see the never ending repeat polls, lists, tops, build your own X Y Z album, etc.)

I could care less about progressive metal; it's all about the extreme tech prog bands. Atheist, Death, Cynic, Gorguts, Suffocation, Blotted Science, Spastic Ink, etc. I'm also active in that scene so that's probably why this place is boring me to tears lately. Minimal musician interaction lots of opinions based on little to no stage, touring, or recording time.

Looks like I'll be starting a brand new forum for this topic that I can control. PA is a bad place to gauge anything for interest outside of the big 5/6.

PA has had its time in the sun and I'm certain 99% of you will not enjoy my musical project, so there's little reason for me to contribute anything outside of extreme/tech/prog reviews to PA anymore.

Well, discussion is not quite dead. My modern prog thread has reached five pages and a lot of that is prog metal (Tesseract, Caligula's Horse, Pyramid Theorem etc.), though certainly not all. And there are people, I think, who have not discovered the genre and want to know more - I, for one, only know the new bands and some Dream Theatre and Opeth, I don't know any of these extreme metal bands like Atheist and Death. So, there's hope - and the fact people like you are so devoted to it shows it's not dead. An appreciation thread might make people remember its existence (always does the trick for me...).

he is not saying the extreme prog genre is gone or over, just that discussions here on that topic are gone, which I guess it's true. 

Yes I'm more upset that there's a lack of interest, and thus discussion, in my favorite sub genre of prog! Cry

I have a new extreme tech metal project coming this spring I'll definitely share it here! Odd time signatures, unique riffing, etc.! BRING IT! Wink
Looking forward to it, my friend.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 23:36

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 15:25
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Nice poll but Conception's debut is missing

good point Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 15:22
^ my bad then.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 15:17

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 15:02

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 14:55

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 01:21

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - September 18 2020 at 01:24

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 16:59
Nice poll but Conception's debut is missing. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 16:30
I love Parallels*, but it's about even with the underrated Streets, so I'll vote for Savatage.

*Were it Perfect Symmetry, it would be no contest!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 15:00

I was not mocking you! I like prog metal myself! If you're not refering to me, that's ok, but I'd never deliberately mock someone here, it's darn right rude. I'm sorry if what I said came across that way.

I wasn't thinking of you when I wrote that. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 14:58

I was not mocking you! I like prog metal myself! If you're not refering to me, that's ok, but I'd never deliberately mock someone here, it's darn right rude. I'm sorry if what I said came across that way.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 14:57

I was not mocking you! I like prog metal myself! If you're not refering to me, that's ok, but I'd never deliberately mock someone here, it's darn right rude. I'm sorry if what I said came accross that way.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 01:15

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 00:57

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 00:26
ATHEIST but Fates Warning and Death are not too far behind. The other two i'm not so keen on

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 21:27
Nice poll!!!!! Clap

Tought to pick one between Sieges Even and Fates Warning, two greats albums, voted Sieges Even
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>