Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best 90s Prog Metal, Round 1.2: 1991

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these 1991 prog metal albums do you think is the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [21.74%]
4 [17.39%]
7 [30.43%]
1 [4.35%]
6 [26.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 90s Prog Metal, Round 1.2: 1991
    Posted: August 02 2018 at 14:24
The votes have slowed to a trickle on the 1990 poll, with Queensr˙che's Empire pretty far in the lead, so let's move on to 1991. There are a lot of good choices, and fun fact: 1991 is one of the only years, if not the only year on ProgArchives where the top 5 albums of the year all fall under Prog Metal or Tech/Extreme Prog Metal. If you want to know what this is about, here is the description:

I'm running this series of polls on the Metal Amino app about the best prog metal albums of the 90s, and I thought it would be interesting to compare the results between there and here, and how the votes turn out differently depending on whether it's coming from a metal stance or a prog stance. Round 1 will go decade by decade until 1999, and then depending on how the results turn out, round 2 will either be a semi-final with the winner of each year, or I'll take the top 2 from each year and do some sort of round robin thing. I don't know. The poll stays open and until it comes to a natural resting point; I'll do the next poll when the votes slow to a trickle and the results are relatively static. If this doesn't happen, or if the results stay super close for a few days, I'll decide on an ending time. Have fun.

UPDATE: This poll is closed now, as we're doing a run-off poll between Parallels and A Sense of Change.

Edited by tempest_77 - August 04 2018 at 13:45
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2018 at 14:41
Skipping the obvious choice of Parallels, I will go with the absolute gem of Sieges Even.
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2018 at 14:44
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

Skipping the obvious choice of Parallels, I will go with the absolute gem of Sieges Even.

I have to agree with you. An absolute masterpiece.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2018 at 15:43
Sieges Even
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2018 at 16:39
Death
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2018 at 18:13
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

I agree and in my top three for 1991 regardless of sub-genre.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2018 at 12:48
All 5 are top albums, going with Streets afterall
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2018 at 19:36
Again, I'm extremely biased here: DEATH - Human, then Atheist for sure.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2018 at 19:55
While I voted for Fates, because it's a perfect album, I love that Savatage album nearly as much!
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2018 at 19:59
Athiest!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 11:55
bump
nice poll!
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 21:27
Nice poll!!!!! Clap

Tought to pick one between Sieges Even and Fates Warning, two greats albums, voted Sieges Even
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 00:26
ATHEIST but Fates Warning and Death are not too far behind. The other two i'm not so keen on

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 00:57
Fates Warning will win because this is a prog board, lol. Anywhere else on the internet and Atheist or Death would be your top picks hands down!

Serious question: is there anyway to become like, the official PA curator for extreme tech prog metal? That's like, my passion niche and I get upset there's not more discussion about these bands on here! I'd be the only guy you need. Someone PM me I'll even PayPal funds to help the site out if required!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 01:15
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Fates Warning will win because this is a prog board, lol. Anywhere else on the internet and Atheist or Death would be your top picks hands down!

Serious question: is there anyway to become like, the official PA curator for extreme tech prog metal? That's like, my passion niche and I get upset there's not more discussion about these bands on here! I'd be the only guy you need. Someone PM me I'll even PayPal funds to help the site out if required!

you complaining Fates Warning winning in a poll is kinda hilarious. The underrated FW win a poll?! LOL

There is no discussion about progressive metal either, it's more likely to be made fun of for listening to progressive metal, I know I was mocked a couple of times. 

Extreme progressive metal is the same thing, if not worse. (There are a few albums and bands I enjoy) 

The days of progressive metal discussions of any kind are pretty much gone.  Ouch
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 14:57
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

you complaining Fates Warning winning in a poll is kinda hilarious. The underrated FW win a poll?! LOL

There is no discussion about progressive metal either, it's more likely to be made fun of for listening to progressive metal, I know I was mocked a couple of times. 

Extreme progressive metal is the same thing, if not worse. (There are a few albums and bands I enjoy) 

The days of progressive metal discussions of any kind are pretty much gone.  Ouch

I was not mocking you! I like prog metal myself! If you're not refering to me, that's ok, but I'd never deliberately mock someone here, it's darn right rude. I'm sorry if what I said came accross that way.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 14:58

I was not mocking you! I like prog metal myself! If you're not refering to me, that's ok, but I'd never deliberately mock someone here, it's darn right rude. I'm sorry if what I said came across that way.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 15:00
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

I was not mocking you! I like prog metal myself! If you're not refering to me, that's ok, but I'd never deliberately mock someone here, it's darn right rude. I'm sorry if what I said came across that way.

I wasn't thinking of you when I wrote that. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 16:30
I love Parallels*, but it's about even with the underrated Streets, so I'll vote for Savatage.

*Were it Perfect Symmetry, it would be no contest!
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 16:59
Nice poll but Conception's debut is missing. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>