Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Book Musical Instruments of Prog (Spanish)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Book Musical Instruments of Prog (Spanish)
    Posted: August 04 2018 at 12:49
Hi all,

Some of the long-term members may remember me as a once-rather active forum member, however in the last 3 years or so, for some personal reasons I have been absent from the forum.

One of my contributions to the PA community was a long article I wrote in 2013-2014 about the musical instruments used in Prog, which is still available in the Blogs section

This post is to let you know that in the meantime that article grew up to a full-blown book which I have recently published and released, in Spanish (I live now in Spain). It's been much extended in both text and images and polished, being now a 266 pages book with over 480 pictures.

So in case there are any forum members of Spanish language interested, it's available through the online store of Lenoir Publishing Co.

The English version is on the making and I hope to be able to inform soon of its release, I'l need to find a publishing company which is interested in releasing it.

I hope that this "self-advertisement" is not forbidden by the PA rules, if it is forgive me for not knowing it, kindly let me know and the post will be deleted.

Cheers to all,

Gerard (aka Gerinski)

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2018 at 05:38
Wow, that sounds cool. I do remember spending a lot of time reading that thread with fascination. Please let us know when the English version is available (I am unable to read in Spanish). 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 05:47
I certainly will ! Thumbs Up
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 10:59
Hi,

Congratulations ... well done work, although I still think that more time should have been taken in detailing some of the things that made this "progressive". It wasn't just the instruments. It was a time that included a lot of experimentation (specially the keyboards/synthesizer side of things) that helped bring about a NEW SOUND ... for the music. 

Sadly, the "sound" alone, should NEVER define anything "progressive". It should be about the composition and the work, and too many of the things listed are from folks that were mostly top ten players, and not exactly progressive in my book. I will not argue about Yes, KC, JT or some of the big names, but to think that a guitar shaped like a snake is the reason why something is progressive, is not only strange, weird and off key, but only shows how we have come to all this via PUBLICITY and FAME. 

If none of these bands had not "made it", this would not have been written and its value would have been severely limited.

I want to help the PROGRESSIVE music thoughts and designs last longer and make a definite mark in the history of music ... and I continually state that the 60's and the 70's were a time that was the most productive in the whole of the 20th century artistically, and that includes music ... which, sadly, we can only think of it as pop music. And leave behind all the other arts that came with it. Like someone like Roger Dean and Hipgnosis, did not help bring all this to the forefront.

But the amount of work itself is impressive all the same and kudos are in order. The previous posting has some of my thoughts on various instruments. But I like the SPIRIT of the time and the arts that it brought to the foreground ... instead of thinking of it all as just pop music with a funny/weird instrument.

Edited by moshkito - August 23 2018 at 05:07
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply