Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [66.67%]
3 [33.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Studio Ghibli vs. Pixar
    Posted: August 04 2018 at 20:25
'm a big fan of Studio Ghibli (better watched with subtitles and in Japanese, unless you're Japanese and need no subtitles).

Anyway, both Pixar and Studio Ghibli have about the same number of titles, and I'm interested to see how they stack up in this community.

The following info taken from IMDB.

Studio Ghibli:

1. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984) - Director: Hayao Miyazaki
PG | 117 min | Animation, Adventure, Fantasy

Warrior/pacifist Princess Nausicaä desperately struggles to prevent two warring nations from destroying themselves and their dying planet.

2. Castle in the Sky (1986) - Director: Hayao Miyazaki
PG | 125 min | Animation, Adventure, Family

A young boy and a girl with a magic crystal must race against pirates and foreign agents in a search for a legendary floating castle.

3. My Neighbor Totoro (1988) Director: Hayao Miyazaki
G | 86 min | Animation, Family, Fantasy

When two girls move to the country to be near their ailing mother, they have adventures with the wondrous forest spirits who live nearby.

4. Grave of the Fireflies (1988) Director: Isao Takahata
Not Rated | 89 min | Animation, Drama, War

A young boy and his little sister struggle to survive in Japan during World War II.

5. Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) Director: Hayao Miyazaki
G | 103 min | Animation, Adventure, Drama

A young witch, on her mandatory year of independent life, finds fitting into a new community difficult while she supports herself by running an air courier service.

6. Only Yesterday (1991) Director: Isao Takahata
PG | 118 min | Animation, Drama, Romance

A twenty-seven-year-old office worker travels to the countryside while reminiscing about her childhood in Tokyo.

7. Porco Rosso (1992) Director: Hayao Miyazaki
PG | 94 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy

In 1930s Italy, a veteran World War I pilot is cursed to look like an anthropomorphic pig.

8. Ocean Waves (1993 TV Movie) Director: Tomomi Mochizuki
PG-13 | 76 min | Animation, Drama, Romance

As a young man returns home after his first year away at college he recalls his senior year of high school and the iron-willed, big city girl that turned his world upside down.

9. Pom Poko (1994) Director: Isao Takahata
PG | 119 min | Animation, Comedy, Drama

A community of magical shape-shifting raccoon dogs struggle to prevent their forest home from being destroyed by urban development.

10. Whisper of the Heart (1995) Director: Yoshifumi Kondô
G | 111 min | Animation, Drama, Family

A love story between a girl who loves reading books, and a boy who has previously checked out all of the library books she chooses.

11. Princess Mononoke (1997) Director: Hayao Miyazaki
PG-13 | 134 min | Animation, Adventure, Fantasy

On a journey to find the cure for a Tatarigami's curse, Ash*taka finds himself in the middle of a war between the forest gods and Tatara, a mining colony. In this quest he also meets San, the Mononoke Hime.

12. My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999) Director: Isao Takahata
PG | 104 min | Animation, Comedy, Family

The life and misadventures of a family in contemporary Japan.

13. Spirited Away (2001) Director: Hayao Miyazaki,
PG | 125 min | Animation, Adventure, Family

During her family's move to the suburbs, a sullen 10-year-old girl wanders into a world ruled by gods, witches, and spirits, and where humans are changed into beasts.

14. The Cat Returns (2002) Director: Hiroyuki Morita
G | 75 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy

After helping a cat, a 17-year-old girl finds herself involuntarily engaged to a cat prince in a magical world where her only hope of freedom lies with a dapper cat statuette come to life.

15. Howl's Moving Castle (2004) Director: Hayao Miyazaki
PG | 119 min | Animation, Adventure, Family

When an unconfident young woman is cursed with an old body by a spiteful witch, her only chance of breaking the spell lies with a self-indulgent yet insecure young wizard and his companions in his legged, walking castle.

16. Tales from Earthsea (2006) Director: Gorô Miyazaki
PG-13 | 115 min | Animation, Adventure, Fantasy

In a mythical land, a man and a young boy investigate a series of unusual occurrences.

17. Ponyo (2008) Director: Hayao Miyazaki
G | 101 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy

A five-year-old boy develops a relationship with Ponyo, a young goldfish princess who longs to become a human after falling in love with him.

18. The Secret World of Arrietty (2010) Director: Hiromasa Yonebayashi
G | 94 min | Animation, Adventure, Family

The Clock family are four-inch-tall people who live anonymously in another family's residence, borrowing simple items to make their home. Life changes for the Clocks when their teenage daughter, Arrietty, is discovered.

19. From Up on Poppy Hill (2011) Director: Gorô Miyazaki
PG | 91 min | Animation, Drama, Family

A group of Yokohama teens look to save their school's clubhouse from the wrecking ball in preparations for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.

20. The Wind Rises (2013) Director: Hayao Miyazaki
PG-13 | 126 min | Animation, Biography, Drama

A look at the life of Jiro Horikoshi, the man who designed Japanese fighter planes during World War II.

21. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013) Director: Isao Takahata
PG | 137 min | Animation, Adventure, Drama

Found inside a shining stalk of bamboo by an old bamboo cutter and his wife, a tiny girl grows rapidly into an exquisite young lady. The mysterious young princess enthralls all who encounter her, but ultimately she must confront her fate, the punishment for her crime.

22. When Marnie Was There (2014) Director: Hiromasa Yonebayashi
PG | 103 min | Animation, Drama, Family

Upon being sent to live with relatives in the countryside, an emotionally distant preteen girl becomes obsessed with an abandoned mansion and infatuated with a girl who lives there - a girl who may or may not be real.

Pixar Animation Studios:

1. Toy Story (1995) Director: John Lasseter
G | 81 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy

A cowboy doll is profoundly threatened and jealous when a new spaceman figure supplants him as top toy in a boy's room.

2. A Bug's Life (1998) Director: John Lasseter
G | 95 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy

A misfit ant, looking for "warriors" to save his colony from greedy grasshoppers, recruits a group of bugs that turn out to be an inept circus troupe.

3. Toy Story 2 (1999) Director: John Lasseter
G | 92 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy

When Woody is stolen by a toy collector, Buzz and his friends vow to rescue him, but Woody finds the idea of immortality in a museum tempting.

4. Monsters, Inc. (2001) Pete Docter
G | 92 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy

In order to power the city, monsters have to scare children so that they scream. However, the children are toxic to the monsters, and after a child gets through, 2 monsters realize things may not be what they think.

5. Finding Nemo (2003) Directors: Andrew Stanton, Lee Unkrich
G | 100 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy

After his son is captured in the Great Barrier Reef and taken to Sydney, a timid clownfish sets out on a journey to bring him home.

6. The Incredibles (2004) Director: Brad Bird
PG | 115 min | Animation, Action, Adventure

A family of undercover superheroes, while trying to live the quiet suburban life, are forced into action to save the world.

7. Cars (2006) Directors: John Lasseter, Joe Ranft
G | 117 min | Animation, Comedy, Family

A hot-shot race-car named Lightning McQueen gets waylaid in Radiator Springs, where he finds the true meaning of friendship and family.

8. Ratatouille (2007) Directors: Brad Bird, Jan Pinkava
G | 111 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy

A rat who can cook makes an unusual alliance with a young kitchen worker at a famous restaurant.

9. WALL·E (2008) Director: Andrew Stanton
G | 98 min | Animation, Adventure, Family

In the distant future, a small waste-collecting robot inadvertently embarks on a space journey that will ultimately decide the fate of mankind.

10. Up (2009) Directors: Pete Docter, Bob Peterson
PG | 96 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy

Seventy-eight year old Carl Fredricksen travels to Paradise Falls in his home equipped with balloons, inadvertently taking a young stowaway.

11. Toy Story 3 (2010) Director: Lee Unkrich
G | 103 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy

The toys are mistakenly delivered to a day-care center instead of the attic right before Andy leaves for college, and it's up to Woody to convince the other toys that they weren't abandoned and to return home.

12. Cars 2 (2011) Directors: John Lasseter, Brad Lewis
G | 106 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy

Star race car Lightning McQueen and his pal Mater head overseas to compete in the World Grand Prix race. But the road to the championship becomes rocky as Mater gets caught up in an intriguing adventure of his own: international espionage.

13. Brave (2012) Directors: Mark Andrews, Brenda Chapman, Steve Purcell
PG | 93 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy

Determined to make her own path in life, Princess Merida defies a custom that brings chaos to her kingdom. Granted one wish, Merida must rely on her bravery and her archery skills to undo a beastly curse.

14. Monsters University (2013) Director: Dan Scanlon
G | 104 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy

A look at the relationship between Mike and Sulley during their days at Monsters University -- when they weren't necessarily the best of friends.

15. Inside Out (I) (2015) Pete Docter, Ronnie Del Carmen
PG | 95 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy

After young Riley is uprooted from her Midwest life and moved to San Francisco, her emotions - Joy, Fear, Anger, Disgust and Sadness - conflict on how best to navigate a new city, house, and school.

16. The Good Dinosaur (2015) Director: Peter Sohn
PG | 93 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy

In a world where dinosaurs and humans live side-by-side, an Apatosaurus named Arlo makes an unlikely human friend.

17. Finding Dory (2016) Directors: Andrew Stanton, Angus MacLane
PG | 97 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy

The friendly but forgetful blue tang fish, Dory, begins a search for her long-lost parents, and everyone learns a few things about the real meaning of family along the way.

18. Coco (I) (2017) Directors: Lee Unkrich, Adrian Molina
PG | 105 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy

Aspiring musician Miguel, confronted with his family's ancestral ban on music, enters the Land of the Dead to find his great-great-grandfather, a legendary singer.

19. Incredibles 2 (2018) Director: Brad Bird
PG | 118 min | Animation, Action, Adventure

Bob Parr (Mr. Incredible) is left to care for the kids while Helen (Elastigirl) is out saving the world.

20. Toy Story 4 (2019)
Animation, Adventure, Comedy | Filming

Add a Plot since it won't be out until next year. I think I have an idea what kind of thing it might be about.

-----------------------------------

I've watched many of these films with my kids, but Studio Ghibli are ones that I have enjoyed both with them and by myself. For me Ghibli easily takes it -- they make delightful and really powerful films.

Edited by Logan - August 04 2018 at 20:28
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2018 at 03:19
I am willing to vote Ghibli only based on their very good movie titles. Pixar have good movies, with good moral stories and humor. Though Ghibli has a much richer colour palet and quite well developed way of bringing fantasy themes to life.

Edited by Icarium - August 05 2018 at 03:19
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2018 at 07:04
I like Dreamworks more than Pixar :o

Edited by Icarium - August 05 2018 at 07:04
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2018 at 10:51
On the whole, I do too (though there are more non-animated Dreamworks films than animated that I like). I suppose that if I were to choose just one Ghibli film then it would be "Grave of the Fireflies", just one Pixar film, it would be "Wall E", and just one Dreamworks Animation film (co-poduced with Aardman), then it would be "Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit".

My favourite Dreamworks Pictures film may be The Island (it's about clones, which is a topic that has long-interested me -- and that's a poll I've wanted to do for some time -- maybe I did years ago. Can't resist, I've caught the making poll lists bug).

If your not familiar with Ghibli, you should try to find them (look for Norwegian subs if you are comfortable with subtitles). They're brilliant. I tend to favour the darker ones, but I would especially recommend to you the gorgeous Spirited Away. Ponyo and Howl's Moving Castle I think you would enjoy. And while a "kid's movie", Totoro is delightful, as is Kiki's Delivery Service.

For darker ones, Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Mononoke and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind are beautiful. So many great films, though. I really do think that Ghibli made not just entertaining films, but great art.

I would love to visit the Ghibli Museum in the Tokyo area (Mitaka).

That said, I am something of a Japanophile.

Edited by Logan - August 05 2018 at 10:58
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2018 at 13:05
I cannot adequately comment because I know nothing from Studio Ghibli.  Pixar was, for me, on a strong roll until around the original Incredibles came out then they seemed to level off a bit.  Now with the release of Incredibles 2 it looks like they may have their mojo back.  Only time will tell.  I do like some things from DreamWorks.  I especially liked 'Chicken Run'. 
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 17:58
Studio Ghibli by far. Grave Of The Fireflies might be my favorite war film ever. Also, as a whole, I find Ghibli films much more consistent, mature and richer than Pixar's
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 18:16
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

Studio Ghibli by far. Grave Of The Fireflies might be my favorite war film ever. Also, as a whole, I find Ghibli films much more consistent, mature and richer than Pixar's

Grave of the Fireflies is such a moving film. Ghibli made films that could appeal to a wide variety of ages, and I too find them much more consistent, richer and mature. The films are nuanced, often beautiful and moving, and there is real depth and sophistication. Ghibli makes art and tells stories so well.
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 18:31
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Grave of the Fireflies is such a moving film. Ghibli made films that could appeal to a wide variety of ages, and I too find them much more consistent, richer and mature. The films are nuanced, often beautiful and moving, and there is real depth and sophistication. Ghibli makes art and tells stories so well.

You may say I'm a Ghibli fan
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 18:33

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

You may say I'm a Ghibli fan

Awesome!
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2020 at 18:44
I cannot choose at all. Both are great. Pixar's latest animation Onward is pretty cool too, by the bye.

If they did "real" (meaning serious) D&D animated movies in that vein, that would be a dream come true. Just imagine a Baldur's Gate (Pixar), Shadow over Mystara (Studio Ghibli) etc. and fancy them as NC-17 movies. Wow, man! Ying YangCool
ellisael View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
discovering psych spam aka SPAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellisael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 02:12
Studio Ghibli anyway :D

handwrist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handwrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 07:09
Ghibli is art. Pixar is just entertainment.

Edited by handwrist - July 30 2020 at 07:09
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 11:07
Hi,

Pixar, Disney and Dreamworks, were not about the "art" of the cartoons ... they were very clearly about making money and making sure they attracted all the youngsters to their works. That is not to say that they did not create good things, but all in all, story wise and cartoon wise ... the good days of cartoons being creative and important for their originality is long gone, and these 2 of these folks did not do anything that had not been done before. Disney had the history behind them ... but most of the work they/he did was not that good, and too many stories were outright stolen from various literary forms, and given youngsters the incorrect and improper story ... no one knows the story of Cinderella from the original ... and none of the kids that EVER saw these, went on to read the original stories! Except DE ... he went on to Wiki to find them! Wink

Studio Ghibli, could at least say, easily enough, that for them it was about the series of various cartoons and the creations they had ... and it is incredibly long and a very long list of materials. And while some folks could say that this story was based on this and that, in general, the continuity of their work, was more representative of originality and crazy idea designs, than it was about "literature" or "stealing stories". A lot of their characters ended up "creating" their own world ... and a much better and original at that!

Edited by moshkito - July 30 2020 at 11:09
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply