Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clash of the Highest-Rated King Crimson Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which one do you think is the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [25.26%]
24 [25.26%]
23 [24.21%]
15 [15.79%]
9 [9.47%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 11:05
They're all great but Discipline for me always was more than just an excellent album; when it came out it was a revelation; MY sound, MY music, MY kind of album. It may have something to do with the fact that it hit me at the right time, aged 14 or 15 when just building up a proper taste of my own, but anyway, this album (and to a slightly lesser extent the rest of the early 80s trilogy) has never failed to move me and chances are it never will (I'm very curious how it'll be listen to this at the age of 80 or so).
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 11:19
ITCOTCK and then Red.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 12:09
My preference depends on my mood, but right now this is my ranking:

1. Lizard
2. Larks' Tongues in Aspic
3. Red
4. In the Court of the Crimson King
5. Discipline

Come to think of it, while I voted Lizard, I most feel like playing Red right now as it's been a while since I last listened to it.   Lizard and Islands have received the most play-time from me over the last few years.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 13:00
1- LTiA
2- Lizard
3- ItCotCK
4- Red
5- Discipline
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 14:59
Whew, tough poll. Red is my fave Wetton KC record. But Discipline has too few votes, so I'm throwing one there. I LOVE the '80s KC 4tet of Belew, Bruford, Fripp, Levin.
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 15:49
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

They're all great but Discipline for me always was more than just an excellent album; when it came out it was a revelation; MY sound, MY music, MY kind of album. It may have something to do with the fact that it hit me at the right time, aged 14 or 15 when just building up a proper taste of my own, but anyway, this album (and to a slightly lesser extent the rest of the early 80s trilogy) has never failed to move me and chances are it never will (I'm very curious how it'll be listen to this at the age of 80 or so).

It's pretty much how I'd describe my experience with, er, Yes' 90125, but Discipline isn't far. Every time I get back to Elephant Talk... Frame by Frame... MMMMMMMHHH

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Providence is a boat anchor

Hwwshhhh... !

All I can do to "defend" is describe my trip on it :

Gentling in a large underground dark hall (violin...), then some unexpected metal squeaks (Bruford having fun with rubbing cymbals [EDIT actually that's what me might have expected for rendering metallic moods but only at 3'36 isn't it]), like someone use steel doors or steering wheels [and bike spokes hita a decelerating rythm by a stick light element]. Bass larsen [+guitar harmonic resonances]= quickly melting metal, suggesting the hall might be a kind of furnace, violin imitates voice tones similar to Jack Nicholson calling Danny in Shining = some agile malevolent entity; afterthat it's like being a prey surrounded by  chasers digging galleries swelling all around corridors. One must have borrowed a vehicle because at 6'51 it feels like a plane quick turn like  https://youtu.be/3pvzA6-tSqE?t=64 ( thrillng carrousel feel ) but pilot in a critical situation with wounds of boiling bleed, before 7'20 the vehicle lands in a secure place.

Maybe you find that kind of trip (pre-)teenage or silly or something. 

Edited by jayem - September 03 2018 at 05:11
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 16:52
I would have put 'Starless and Bible Black' and 'In the Wake of Poseidon' in there.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 17:33
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Providence is a boat anchor

Hwwshhhh... !

All I can do to "defend" is describe my trip on it : 

Gentling in a large underground dark hall (violin...), then some unexpected metal squeaks (bruford having fun with rubbing cymbals), like someone use steel doors or steering wheels. Bass larsen = quickly melting metal, suggesting the hall might be a kind of furnace, violin imitates voice tones similar to Jack Nicholson calling Danny in Shining = some agile malevolent entity; afterthat it's like being a prey surrounded by  chasers digging galleries swelling all around corridors. One must have borrowed a vehicle because at 6'51 it feels like a plane quick turn like  https://youtu.be/3pvzA6-tSqE?t=64 ( thrillng carrousel feel ) but pilot in a critical situation with wounds of boiling bleed, before 7'20 the vehicle lands in a secure place.

Maybe you find that kind of trip (pre-)teenage or silly or something. 

Not silly at all!  The fact that you've listened to Providence enough to create such great images from the piece is quite impressive Clap  

My point was that I prefer several of the other '74 tour improv's much more Wink
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 18:15
I like some of the songs on all these albums but to be honest Discipline and the 80's line up interested me the most---they reinvented themselves in the 80's  in a truly prog way without going commercial like Yes.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 19:38
Red is at the top and gets the vote.  If "Thrak" was on the list, it would be a close 2nd, but it all depends on the day.  After that it's:

LTiA
ItCotCK
Discipline
Lizard

But that order depends on the day too.  So hard to choose the best from my favorite band.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2018 at 21:37
Court for me, though for me the contest is between that one, Larks Tongues, and Red. I guess the only one that can get near that trio of album from them would be The Power to Believe.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 06:39
Definitely for me:

Red
Larks
ITCOTCK
Discipline
Lizard

I regard Lizard as a very good album, but not on the same level as the other four
Songs cast a light on you
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 09:39
For me, it's a virtual tie among all of them except for Court.  I went with Lizard only because it deserves more love in this poll.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 11:26
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I like some of the songs on all these albums but to be honest Discipline and the 80's line up interested me the most---they reinvented themselves in the 80's  in a truly prog way without going commercial like Yes.

You're absolutely spot on with this comment, and it's why Discipline ranks for me as one of their four best albums
Songs cast a light on you
For Nobody's Bush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote For Nobody's Bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 18:16
Wow, I must be some sort of KC minority. Starless would be 1st, followed by Larks, then Lizard/Wake/Islands, then Red. The Thraks and Vrooms I cannot differentiate from but they are all great, too. And don't forget The Power To Believe. Anything left out is worth a listen, also.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 20:57
It may be cliche, but I went with Court.  But really, how does one decide.  This is an incredible lineup.   I'm always hearing something new each time I listen to any of these albums.  It often seems that I often change my mind and the one I think is the best is the one I'm listening to at that moment.  
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 08:22
Larks' Tongues In Aspic!!!

For sure.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 06:53
I like Court and Red (Starless is my fave KC song period) but Lizard has a special vibe to it that makes it stand out from other albums. To me it's got a sorta fairytale-ish feel with Tippett's smeary piano, the horns and everything. Oh and I love the title suite. Jon Anderson's la la la's, the Bolero jazz section and the soulful battle sequence are done with such elegance and tastefulness.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 09:19
All five are great and at some point they have been my favorite. I'll give Discipline some love today. 

Edited by Olape - August 13 2018 at 09:20
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 11:19
In the Court for me

then either  Red  or  LTIA
Prog On!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>