Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst Rated Efforts from the Big Six

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which one do you think is the worst?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [24.14%]
16 [27.59%]
5 [8.62%]
5 [8.62%]
6 [10.34%]
12 [20.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worst Rated Efforts from the Big Six
    Posted: August 07 2018 at 23:32
These are the worst rated efforts of the big six according to Progarchives review section. Out of all these, which one do YOU consider to be the worst? For me, its gotta be Invisible Touch. Im one of those crazed early genesis fans that basically craps on everything released after Hackett left, and IT just feels like Phil Collins dancing on the grave of one of the best progressive bands ever. (BTW I included the PA scores so nobody would think I was personally choosing the worst albums, I used those ratings to make the list as objective as possible.)
The most dangerous man in America.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 03:37
Unfortunately "Invisible Touch" ! Unfortunately "Genesis" ! 
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 05:37
Open Your Eyes - gak!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 05:38
I was tempted to choose 'In the Hot Seat' as it was a real come-down after the potential shown by 'Black Moon' on the reunion, but 'Invisible Touch' was probably the low point for those seeking hints of the prog of old from this band. 'Open Your Eyes' disappointed too, but had some moments, as did 'Under Wraps'.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 05:42
Of these, Under Wraps is the one I'd be inclined less likely to ever listen to again, followed by Open Your Eyes. Phil wasn't the only one "dancing on the grave" of Genesis. It was a team effort.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 05:56
I never intend to find out. 
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 06:15
They're all pretty dreadful except A Momentary Lapse of Reason which is quite good, and Invisible Touch, which has some good parts but is pretty mediocre overall.

I can't separate the other 4, which are just dire.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 06:35
I have to say that I disagree that Beat is a poor album. 
I think it's actually quite good and I prefer it to Three of a Perfect Pair. 
I certainly wouldn't consider it to be the worst King Crimson album (ConstruKction of Light takes that crown IMO)

I haven't heard all of these albums but I agree that "Open Your Eyes" was a poor effort by Yes standards.
Songs cast a light on you
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 07:20
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

No one stated that its poor though - I just their lowest rated album
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 07:29
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I never intend to find out. 

!
Invisible Touch is dreadful, but I don't know In the Hot Seat and Open Your Eyes and I'm not curious. (Beat is good enough that I'd vote it the best out of these easily and confidently without knowing two of them, but voting for the worst, no.)
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 07:48
Invisible touch is a decent album especially Domino and The Brazilian---

Open your eyes is a horror---this is what you get when u let sherwood take over the sound of what was once the greatest prog band--it's not even Yes with the exception of a few good guitar licks from Howe---
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 07:54

Hercules did in the post just prior to Chaser's. Pretty dreadful implies poor and dire can mean very bad.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 08:02
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Hercules did in the post just prior to Chaser's. Pretty dreadful implies poor and dire can mean very bad.

Beat is awful IMHO, but it's well known that i cannot stand most King Crimson. It's called "personal taste". Sorry if mine offends you, but that's unfortunate.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 08:36
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Beat is awful IMHO, but it's well known that i cannot stand most King Crimson. It's called "personal taste". Sorry if mine offends you, but that's unfortunate.

It doesn't offend me in the least, and I know your thoughts on King Crimson generally. I just wanted to correct the "no one stated" statement for Chaser's sake (perhaps he doesn't care, but I would appreciate it if someone did that for me -- Dean has, but I think he recognised my sensitive sensibilities). Commonly when I post in a topic, I refer to the post prior to mine as that feels more naturally conversational, and I thought that Chaser may in in part be disagreeing with your statement about Beat.

I happen to avoid stating my tastes in that way to make clear the subjectivity (but maybe that's because of the culture I grew up in). For instance, I tend to say "I don't care for", or "it's bad for me" instead of say, "it's horrendous" to merely state my tastes. I can like music that I do think is poor by various measures, such as The Shagg's Philosophy of the World.In cases where I really do believe something is objectively bad, then I state it as that. For instance, I do believe that Trump is a bad man by my ethical standards and I might say that the Trump presidency is dire (I think there's evidence for that that goes beyond personal taste, though I find his taste gaudy). But that's fine if others express themselves differently as long as it is clear to people what they mean. That said, my point, again, was merely to point out that someone stated that it is poor, not to cast aspersions on your statement.

Ugh, I promised myself that I would write concisely, but I fail in my endeavor once again (I can never seem to get the balance right between being clear in intent while concise and not rambling on-and-on). And Captcha seems to think that this post is Craptcha as much as I do.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 08:52
For me it's a tie between "Invisible Touch" and "Open Your Eyes". Both left me equally disappointed. "In The Hot Seat" follows very closely.

Edited by Manuel - August 08 2018 at 08:53
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 08:56
Beat is a great album. It shouldn't be a part of this poll. ;)

Lapse really shouldn't be, either.

Of the rest, it's a toss-up between ITHS and OYE. 
Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 09:27
[QUOTE=verslibre]
Beat is a great album. It shouldn't be a part of this poll. ;)

Lapse really shouldn't be, either.

I tend to agree, but I just used the lowest rated albums according to PA to make the list. I actually quite enjoy both of those albums myself.
The most dangerous man in America.
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 09:32
It seems no one in the Yes camp could "Open Your Eyes" to see how badly this record was coming out.  
 Beat is easily the best of these records however.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 09:49
Sad to say that a Yes album has to be the worst of the lot.  "Open Your Eyes" is the worst of them all, though the last two Yes albums were even worse that that.  I like "Beat", and "Under Wraps" isn't that bad.  Even "A Momentary Lack of Reason" has more high points than "The Final Cut".  "In the Hot Seat" and "Invisible Touch" are both failures when it comes to prog and are the runners up to the worst.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 10:05
Well...

1) Fortunately have never heard Invisible Touch or Under Wraps, but their reputations precede them...
2) Not that Black Moon was a masterpiece, but "In the Sh*t Seat" was a big step down...
3) I like most of Momentary Lapse (though it does drag a bit after the halfway mark)...
4) I like a lot of "Open Your Eyes" though a friend and I refer to the band at that point as, "Ye$" and the album as, "Open Your Wallets"...
5) I hate Beat so much it's the only studio Crimson album I refuse to own so get's my vote LOL

Edited by The.Crimson.King - August 08 2018 at 10:07
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>