Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst Rated Efforts from the Big Six

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which one do you think is the worst?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [24.14%]
16 [27.59%]
5 [8.62%]
5 [8.62%]
6 [10.34%]
12 [20.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 11:26
It has to be ELP, although itīs the only album I havenīt heard from those. Going to listen it soon, I am interested, can I listen it whole through...
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 11:29
After listening to "In the Hot Seat," I needed hELP.
PROGMATIC
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 11:47
Went for Open Your Eyes, but could have easily gone for In the Hot Seat. To be fair, Emerson had difficulty playing at that time. Yes's excuse?

Beat is a wonderful album, and I've never understood the disfavor that album receives. 
The production of Momentary Lapse doesn't let it age well, and it can be a bit dull in places, but it's not really that terrible.
I haven't yet heard Under Wraps, so can't judge.
And dare I say it, Invisible Touch may not be brilliant, but it's not evil. 
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 12:06
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

I have to say that I disagree that Beat is a poor album.  
No one stated that its poor though - I just their lowest rated album

Hercules did in the post just prior to Chaser's. Pretty dreadful implies poor and dire can mean very bad.

Thanks Logan, and you're of course correct that I was responding to Hercules' post that the other four albums (including Beat) were "dire".

I fully understood that it was included in the poll because it was the lowest rated KC album on PA (although I don't understand why it's lowest rated)

Hercules clearly has a different view of the album to me, which is absolutely fine, but I was simply giving my own view that Beat is neither "dire" nor the worst KC album.

Interestingly, I first listened to Beat as a teenager many years ago, and my view then was that it was a poor KC album.  I just couldn't get into it.  I put it away on the shelf for maybe 20 years before I rediscovered it and started to appreciate that it's actually a very good album.

So, I can understand why someone would rate it as poor, but, from my experience, it's an album that needs time before you begin to appreciate its qualities.
Songs cast a light on you
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 13:06
Chaser, having just listened to Beat again in full after many years, your sentiment holds true with me. I appreciate it more than I used to (my tastes have expanded since then). I needed time and experience, exposure to more kinds of music, to "get" it more.

By the way, when using terms such as "dire", to me it would benefit from some elaboration (my wife says I'm far too fussy on this kind of point, but I do try to think about the context). Dire in what way? I don't think that the musicianship could be considered dire? The composition? I don't see how either. The experience could be dire, and I guess that's all that was meant -- in which case I would phrase it as "I found it dire" rather than "just dire". My British dad would claim that rock and pop music generally is horrid, and he was a nuanced thinker in most matters (he did mean it quite literally methinks, but then he thought it to be of lower artistic value and less intellectual than classical music, and I might be inclined to agree on the whole).

^^ Questions, I like it, but I have considered Beat to be something of a step down from the King Crimson that came before (and I prefer Belew's Lone Rhino) -- I didn't find it quite as adventurous despite the quirkiness as earlier albums, and stylistically it didn't appeal to me as much on the whole. I would have liked it to be a bigger departure from Discipline. I like some songs off it, and others not so much. For instance, I like "Sartori in Tangier" a lot and love "Requiem" (one that I've seen hated, but then it would be too "out there" for many), but "Heartbeat" I don't like as much (provides good contrast, mind you). Requiem's opening is reminiscent of some other music in my collection, which I can't quite recollect right now. Maybe I just never had listened to the album enough, or at the right time, to let it really grow on me. There is some really good playing, and it is still quirky, and there is interesting music on this album, though. If one is into the Talking Heads kind of scene, and certain stuff by Zappa, one might well enjoy it more.   

I would have sooner listened to other stuff from 1982 in ProgArchives such as Zanov's In Course of Time, Art Zoyd's Phase IV, Jean-Paul Prat's Masal, and Brainticket's Voyage, but variety is the spice of life.

As I already mentioned, though, I do appreciate Beat considerably more than I once did (even though I quite liked it before). I am wary to give other options on the list a proper spin. I liked the Pink Floyd when it came out, but it didn't appeal when last I played it.

Edited by Logan - August 08 2018 at 13:10
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 13:46
Invisible Touch; the song itself makes me cringe lol.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 14:19
This is a fascinating set of comparisons to make, but it is also hard to rank them against each other. 
In the Hot Seat is a pretty poor album, compared with the others in this list, but also poor compared with the rest of ELP's albums (thus, the original criteria). Same for Open Your Eyes--poor next to the others in the list, and poor compared with Yes's overall output.
Beat, for me at least, is one of the best albums on this list, but obviously not favored well compared with other KC albums, which might be fair enough (even if I don't necessarily agree).

To ask a different question, then, I'm curious what people think of this list that PA voters have created:
Do you think the rankings feel accurate?
Do you think Invisible Touch is the weakest of all of Genesis's albums? More so than We Can't Dance or Calling All Stations?
Is Beat weaker than Construkction of Light?
Is Open Your Eyes weaker than Talk?
Etc.

Thoughts?  
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 15:45
All bad albums but Open Your Eyes wins the "prize"
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 16:02
I love Invisible Touch :( 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 18:44
Originally posted by questionsneverknown questionsneverknown wrote:

Do you think Invisible Touch is the weakest of all of Genesis's albums? More so than We Can't Dance or Calling All Stations?

We Can't Dance beats Touch and Stations with "Fading Lights."

No way. '80s Crim is awesome.

Maybe by a hair. A real "+/-" situation.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 21:01
I went with invisible touch: although I agree We Can't Dance is worse.

I'm surprised ELP had an album rated lower than the abysmal Love Beach.  
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 21:33
I haven't heard them all, so I wouldn't know how to vote. But I do like both Invisible Touch and Momentary Lapse of Reason... at least some of the songs.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 22:06

This is a fascinating set of comparisons to make, but it is also hard to rank them against each other. 
In the Hot Seat is a pretty poor album, compared with the others in this list, but also poor compared with the rest of ELP's albums (thus, the original criteria). Same for Open Your Eyes--poor next to the others in the list, and poor compared with Yes's overall output.
Beat, for me at least, is one of the best albums on this list, but obviously not favored well compared with other KC albums, which might be fair enough (even if I don't necessarily agree).

To ask a different question, then, I'm curious what people think of this list that PA voters have created:
Etc.

Thoughts?  
I have said also in other thread that those PA rankings are nothing to trust. Just because some of the albums have thousands of ratings, some hundreds some only few. My personal opinion is that KC should not be with those others comparing their after seventies albums. Because I think KC was the only band of those that didnīt stay in the seventies or started to make not always great eighties pop, it could change itīs style to the time theyīre living but also stayed as a respectable band. To me weakest KC album is Three Of a Perfect Pair.

And weakest Genesis album is Calling All the Stations and weakest Yes album is Union. I am not saying Open Your Eyes is any kind of masterpiece, but I like itīs positive pop. Also even tittle song and In Too Deep are really awful eighties pop, there are some really goog moments in that album like Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, Domino & the Brazilian.

And of course those PA rankings can be the base of polls, this is not so serious.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 22:17
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I haven't heard them all, so I wouldn't know how to vote. But I do like both Invisible Touch and Momentary Lapse of Reason... at least some of the songs.

agree---Open your eyes has nothing great on it let alone any prog---Invisible Touch has Tonight Tonight--Domino and The Brazilian which are all decent prog
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 01:56
I have mistakenly voted for my fav....PF. I think the worst of the set is Open Your Eyes. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 02:11
No vote. My native sense of quality did not keep me away from AMLoR and Invisible Touch, which contain some good stuff as well (I would rate both albums 3 stars, in PF's case rounded down), so it must be one of the other four.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 02:59
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I never intend to find out. 

QFT.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 05:26
It's all taste at the end of the day. There isn't more "accuracy" in what I think than in these rankings.
I don't like any of them and am not much concerned about which one is worst.
Beat to me is a five star album and there are other calibers that are weaker than it such as Close to the Edge, SEBTP, Tarkus, Aqualung and Wish You Were Here, just to name a few. Big smile
I plan to get to know about 500 other albums before I try out these.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 05:30
Oh, and just to destroy the reputation of my taste totally, Under Wraps is quite a bit better than Lapse of Reason and certainly not the worst Tull album (although it's not among the top 10 either).
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 06:12
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Beat is a great album. It shouldn't be a part of this poll. ;)

Lapse really shouldn't be, either.

Of the rest, it's a toss-up between ITHS and OYE. 

Beat and AMLOR are the lowest rated albums (KC and PF) so that's why they're in the poll. And a 3 star album is not a bad album. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>