Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst Rated Efforts from the Big Six

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which one do you think is the worst?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [24.14%]
16 [27.59%]
5 [8.62%]
5 [8.62%]
6 [10.34%]
12 [20.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 12:47
Originally posted by questionsneverknown questionsneverknown wrote:

Is Beat weaker than Construkction of Light?
Is Open Your Eyes weaker than Talk?
Etc.

Thoughts?  

To the first question: ConstruKction of Light is definitely weaker than Beat (and I also prefer Beat to TOAPP, THRAK, and VROOM, and I play it more than I do Islands or ITWOP)

I actually quite like Talk. Ok it's not necessarily a groundbreaking album musically but it does succeed (for me) in creating a strong emotional connection to the music (especially the last track)
Songs cast a light on you
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 13:40
ELP.....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 21:38
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I haven't heard them all, so I wouldn't know how to vote. But I do like both Invisible Touch and Momentary Lapse of Reason... at least some of the songs.

agree---Open your eyes has nothing great on it let alone any prog---Invisible Touch has Tonight Tonight--Domino and The Brazilian which are all decent prog

I have never really understood the love for Domino, but I do like Tonight Tonight and The Brazilian a lot. I also like the poppier Land of Confusion.
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 10:06
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Oh, and just to destroy the reputation of my taste totally

Hard to tell which kind of biochemicals related to daredevilish boldness it takes to present "Pictures-Of-An-Oppressive-Flashy-City(with some cosy places)" Beat as prefered to "Acid-Trip-In-Nature" CTTE.

Trombiculidae, ticks, hornets, hostile weather must have harassed you last time you tried camping in the wild, so you'd prefer social commodities without liver fluke, that is, urban way of life"...?

Edited by jayem - December 10 2018 at 10:18
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 11:22
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

I went with invisible touch: although I agree We Can't Dance is worse.

I'm surprised ELP had an album rated lower than the abysmal Love Beach.  

Nah, We Can't Dance is much better than Invisible Touch. Driving the Last Spike and Fading Lights rock.
Love Beach abysmal? It's actually a pretty good album, better than both Works records. Black Moon might be mediocre, but ITHS is ELP's worst, without a doubt.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 18:09
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Oh, and just to destroy the reputation of my taste totally

Hard to tell which kind of biochemicals related to daredevilish boldness it takes to present "Pictures-Of-An-Oppressive-Flashy-City(with some cosy places)" Beat as prefered to "Acid-Trip-In-Nature" CTTE.

Trombiculidae, ticks, hornets, hostile weather must have harassed you last time you tried camping in the wild, so you'd prefer social commodities with no fasciola hepatica waiting in running water, that is, urban way of life"...?

I'm mostly a quite sober person... Actually your portrayal of Beat hits the spot and your comment makes a lot of sense, except that the music on CTTE with all its showing off and technicality surely doesn't represent nature for me... and I should add that I even actually think it's a damn good album, just not quite as good as Beat.
Music that represents nature for me... maybe Edgar Froese's Epsilon in Malaysian Pale, fully electronic haha, of all albums? And that one is about on a par with Beat.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 21:51

I haven't heard them all, so I wouldn't know how to vote. But I do like both Invisible Touch and Momentary Lapse of Reason... at least some of the songs.

agree---Open your eyes has nothing great on it let alone any prog---Invisible Touch has Tonight Tonight--Domino and The Brazilian which are all decent prog

I have never really understood the love for Domino, but I do like Tonight Tonight and The Brazilian a lot. I also like the poppier Land of Confusion.

Heck I love the title track and tracks like In Too Deep and Throwing It All Away. Even Every Thing She Does is fun. The whole album is just great imo. But I understand on a prog forum not everyone is going to feel that way, so is what it is I suppose. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 04:31
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

After listening to "In the Hot Seat," I needed hELP.
Just listened this. I am glad I voted right, although not heard this before. Itīs just horrible, no single idea in any songs and awful sounds. Itīs one of the saddest moments in prog, really includes all things I hate in prog. Even Lakeīs voice is not as it used to be, I donīt think I would have recognised him if I hadnīt know who he was. Even Procol Harum & Traffic have some good moments in their nineties albums, also really all other albums in this poll has at least some good moments. I hope all who voted Invisible has heard this.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 22:14
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Heck I love the title track and tracks like In Too Deep and Throwing It All Away. Even Every Thing She Does is fun. The whole album is just great imo. But I understand on a prog forum not everyone is going to feel that way, so is what it is I suppose. 

I do like the title track too, plus the ones I already mentioned. But the rest of the songs are just OK at best to me. Still, I do enjoy the album if I put it all.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 11:26
I've never listened to In the Hot Seat   (  Love Beach was bad enough )

so I won't vote....

Open Your Eyes would get my vote for the worst from the others
Prog On!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 16:03
ELP, Genesis, and Yes are truly a triumvirate of terrible. Either can take my vote. I"ll go ELP this time.  
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 08:08
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

ELP, Genesis, and Yes are truly a triumvirate of terrible. Either can take my vote. I"ll go ELP this time.  

Are you sure you like prog?

Edited by Fischman - August 15 2018 at 08:08
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 08:11
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Are you sure you like prog?

MWT refers to the albums in the poll. 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 13:22
In the Hot Seat. Worse than Love Beach which isn't saying much. By the way, Beat and Open Your Eyes ain't that bad (and Heartbeat is a fine song, to all you naysayers [just not in the Crimso' vein, agreed]) The Yes effort is loud and clear, thanks to Joe Gastwirt over at Oceanview Digital Mastering.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 13:30
I... like A Momentary Lapse of Reason...

Can we talk about Obscured By Clouds, where they were so lazy they didn't even bother to create endings for the songs, and just faded them out? Can we talk about how lazy the guitar work is? Or how uninspired the tunes are themselves? Or the fact that they attempted to take ideas from country music? Or the fact they felt there would be no need for solos?

Obscured by Clouds is, without a doubt, the worst, laziest, piece of garbage that Pink Floyd ever made... I'd listen to A Momentary Lapse of Reason 500 times before I stuck Obscured back on my vinyl player.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 00:02
Originally posted by philipemery philipemery wrote:

I... like A Momentary Lapse of Reason...

Can we talk about Obscured By Clouds, where they were so lazy they didn't even bother to create endings for the songs, and just faded them out? Can we talk about how lazy the guitar work is? Or how uninspired the tunes are themselves? Or the fact that they attempted to take ideas from country music? Or the fact they felt there would be no need for solos?

Obscured by Clouds is, without a doubt, the worst, laziest, piece of garbage that Pink Floyd ever made... I'd listen to A Momentary Lapse of Reason 500 times before I stuck Obscured back on my vinyl player.

Obscured By Clouds is one of my favourite albums of all time...
However, I do believe all music is subjective, so while I don't agree with your opinion at all, I respect it and I too like MLOR, but it is the lowest rated PF album on PA, hence why I put it on this poll.
The most dangerous man in America.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 02:11
Obscured is not my big Floyd favourites, but itīs much better than Momentary. There are no songs like tittle song, Mudmen or Childoodīs End in Momentary. I think also Momentary is the worst album of Floyd, like even Endless River more, but I am not saying Momentary is totally bad album unlike for example In the Hot Seat.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 09:20
Invisible Touch was the most aurally offensive. Under Wraps was the dullest.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 02:41
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

I have to say that I disagree that Beat is a poor album.  
No one stated that its poor though - I just their lowest rated album

Just goes to show that prog, even KC fans, can get things so very wrong.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 03:11
I've only heard the Genesis, KC, Floyd and Tull ablums for the list so won't vote. All I'll say is that I really like Beat!

Invisible Touch is disappointing at best. The Tull album is dull, and the Floyd album is listenable but weak overall.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>