Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst Rated Efforts from the Big Six

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Which one do you think is the worst?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [24.14%]
16 [27.59%]
5 [8.62%]
5 [8.62%]
6 [10.34%]
12 [20.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 11:27
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

I have to say that I disagree that Beat is a poor album.  
No one stated that its poor though - I just their lowest rated album

Just goes to show that prog, even KC fans, can get things so very wrong.

It just seems to me that a lot of the people who've reviewed Beat just haven't taken the time to really listen to it properly before reviewing it.

I'm not saying it's a 5 star album, but at 3.03 it's seriously under valued IMO
Songs cast a light on you
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2018 at 20:23
From the best to the worst

1 - KC - Beat It´s a good Album, many good songs in it
2 - Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of  Reason, ok album, not brilliant, not bad either
3 - Jethro Tull - Under Wraps, bad album, but the thankfully acoustic "Under Wraps #2" its a great song
4 - Genesis - Invisible Touch, bad rock prog album, good pop 80´s music and this album sounds very 80's, at least Domino presents dynamics structures
5 - ELP - In The Hot Seat, inoffensive and boring as hell
90125 - Yes - Open Your Eyes, Horrendous and only a deaf man can tolerate this album

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 02:45

Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I have to say that I disagree that Beat is a poor album.  
No one stated that its poor though - I just their lowest rated album

Just goes to show that prog, even KC fans, can get things so very wrong.

It just seems to me that a lot of the people who've reviewed Beat just haven't taken the time to really listen to it properly before reviewing it.

I'm not saying it's a 5 star album, but at 3.03 it's seriously under valued IMO

I suppose it's understandable that people are guided in the direction of change by recording format; it's a sort of musical socialzing means. Next album should be different from the next; but clearly Bruford and Co had not finished what they had begun on Discipline and it took three albums to do this. It's not a lot really.

A similar example if Poseidon; perhaps KC then as they were had not finished their ideas which were partly finished on Poseidon. Although I would have thought Cat Food belonged on Lizard - seems to be a closer relation to that set.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 05:08
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

From the best to the worst

1 - KC - Beat It´s a good Album, many good songs in it
2 - Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of  Reason, ok album, not brilliant, not bad either
3 - Jethro Tull - Under Wraps, bad album, but the thankfully acoustic "Under Wraps #2" its a great song
4 - Genesis - Invisible Touch, bad rock prog album, good pop 80´s music and this album sounds very 80's, at least Domino presents dynamics structures
5 - ELP - In The Hot Seat, inoffensive and boring as hell
90125 - Yes - Open Your Eyes, Horrendous and only a deaf man can tolerate this album

Well, I then I am deaf man Wink
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 06:19
I suppose it's understandable that people are guided in the direction of change by recording format; it's a sort of musical socialzing means. Next album should be different from the next; but clearly Bruford and Co had not finished what they had begun on Discipline and it took three albums to do this. It's not a lot really.
[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree with you.  These three albums (Discipline, Three of a Perfect Pair, and Beat) should be viewed as a single set, as part of a single project, and not as completely separate ventures.

I was interested to discover that Bruford and Belew both considered Beat to be a better album than Discipline, although Fripp disagreed, which lead to a falling out during the final production phase of the album.

I'm with Fripp, and I agree that Discipline is the best of the three, but Beat is not too far behind
Songs cast a light on you
The Unifaun View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Unifaun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 06:22
Being a big ELP fan myself, I nevertheless have to admit, that "In The Hot Seat" is most probably a bad album. It has it's moments but overall it's not even average.
While at the same time I have never understood, why Love Beach was rated so badly. Maybe it's the cover.

Edited by The Unifaun - August 28 2018 at 06:41
Xyth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 20:01
My best to worst ranking of these would probably be:

1) Jethro Tull - Under Wraps 
2) Genesis - Invisible Touch
3) Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
4) King Crimson - Beat
5) Yes - Open Your Eyes
6) ELP - In the Hot Seat
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 00:13
Genesis 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 00:18
I understand why all these are here, except for 1.......why oh why is Beat rated so low ?? It’s a fantastic album. In fact, only the ELP Hot Seat is a stinker.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234