Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding-prog song?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding-prog song?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding-prog song?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
30 [88.24%]
4 [11.76%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding-prog song?
    Posted: August 08 2018 at 14:20
Do you consider this Elton John song to be prog rock?

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 14:40
It's kind of proggy, Certainly the funeral for a Friend part has a lot of prog influence with the Love lies Bleeding part settling into a decent pop song. I think it was Elton's attempt to tap in to some prog flavor while keeping it accessible for his fans & i think it works in that way. Defiantly my favorite song by him. 

Edited by Argo2112 - August 08 2018 at 14:41
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 14:42
Yes, Prog enough for me in much the same way that Supertramp's Fool's Overture is to my ears.
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 15:48
Yes, I would say it is prog enough
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 15:57
Definitely...the coolest thing Reggie ever did Wink
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 19:10
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Definitely...the coolest thing Reggie ever did Wink

Agreed. I actually quite like it.
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 20:50
It must be prog.  Because I really like it, and I don't like Elton John.  
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 21:26
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

It must be prog.  Because I really like it, and I don't like Elton John.  

lol true but I like the song but also think his first two albums have some great music---"Your song" is a perfect song---and Tumbleweed has some great songs too like "Come down in time" and "Burn down the mission" Smile
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 21:52
Madman Across The Water, along with his s/t album and Tumbleweed Connection, are fantastic. The song "Indian Sunset" is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard, period. The orchestration by Paul Buckmaster is incredible and adds power and majesty to Elton John's most emotional and my personal favorite song. Or check out the solo version, just Elton and piano, on YouTube from the early 70s. Hard to believe what he would soon devolve to.
PROGMATIC
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 05:41
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Madman Across The Water, along with his s/t album and Tumbleweed Connection, are fantastic. The song "Indian Sunset" is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard, period. The orchestration by Paul Buckmaster is incredible and adds power and majesty to Elton John's most emotional and my personal favorite song. Or check out the solo version, just Elton and piano, on YouTube from the early 70s. Hard to believe what he would soon devolve to.

I agree, Madman is my favorite EJ album. All of the tracks from Levon through to Rotten Peaches are pure gold.
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 06:00
It is indeed, and a very good one. One of the few Elton John songs I can still listen too.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 06:55
Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding is really a prog song ! 
In spite some prejudice of some people,  I think "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy" a  great albums with very  good instrumental arrangements ! 
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 08:24
Not Prog but very good.
Reggie should have joined Gentle Giant...
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 08:32
The first part is, the second part less so.  But it's all great.
"madman across the water" is a good prog song.
"crocodile rock" is a great rocker and "daniel" a beautiful ballad
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 09:30
Elton Johns to me lost stunning track is Indian Sunset, probably hes best piano track but i also lile A Song for Guy

Elton John - piano, Mellotron, Polymoog, ARP String Ensemble, vocalsRay Cooper - wind chimes, shakersClive Franks - bass

Edited by Icarium - August 09 2018 at 09:34
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 12:05
Yyyyyyyep.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 13:43
Back to trying to say what is prog and what isn't.......someone mentioned Supertramp ..again....it's prog lite just like Tramp always was.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 16:51
^ That was me, Doug, again, as I have repeated myself too much over the years. I particularly relate "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" to "Fool's Overture", partially because of stylistic similarities, and partially because of my history with both songs that makes me associate them (in terms of my history with music, I also associate The Alan Parsons Project's "Lucifer" with those). I would say that similarities between Elton John and Supertramp go beyond just those two songs. Supertramp's debut, by the way, is that band's album that comes closest to Prog-proper for me.

As to the discussion of favourite EJ songs not mentioned, I like Elton John's "The King Must Die" and "Tiny Dancer".   My wife's favourite is "Skyline Pigeon".
 Post Reply Post Reply