Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Songs from non-prog bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 02:40
@cstack3 @mortte

I entirely agree about Alice! I've always thought Halo Of Flies was a progressive masterpiece (listened to it twice the last few days Approve). As for Second Coming, I always thought that was a highly underrated song, and Dwight Fry is truly terrifying! (in a good way...)

@Hercules

I also agree about the Celtic rock bands. I've always loved the Afro-Celts (seen them live a couple of times - thoroughly recommended), and at Cambridge one time was an artist called Martin Bennett who fused Celtic folk with a rhythm section that was hard-core techno .. you wouldn't think it could possibly work but in a strange way, it did, after I'd made sure I was standing a long way back. Big smile
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 06:35
Boston - Foreplay to me sounds prog-ish.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 11:12
Shpongle - "Dorset Perception"
Shpongle - "Around the World in a Tea Daze"
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 11:22
The Guess Who - "Goin' a Little Crazy"
Silverchair - "Across the Night" and "Tuna in the Brine"
Toto - "Hydra"
Ween - "The Argus"
Stevie Wonder - "Contusion" 

progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 11:27
Alice Cooper  Ballad of Dwight Frye
dada Puzzle
Angel  Tower
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young  Deja Vu
McKendree Spring  God Bless the Conspiracy 

Edited by progmatic - August 10 2018 at 11:28
PROGMATIC
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 13:22
Originally posted by TiddK TiddK wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Perhaps I was a bit by Donovan, but then thinking about it so many of his singles were mould-breakers - Sunshine Superman, Hurdy Gurdy Man, Barabajagal, etc.

Another mold breaker is my Donovan prog choice, "Breezes of Patchouli".  Recorded in the first half of '66 for the Sunshine Superman album, it didn't make the cut and has only appeared on compilations or extended reissues.  It features a mellotron and was recorded around the same time the Beatles first use of the tron by John on Tomorrow Never Knows.  Since Donovan was hanging around with The Beatles I wonder who had the idea to use the tron first, Donovan or John Wink

Apparently Sunshine Superman (a real early psychedelia track) was held off for release for many months. It was actually recorded BEFORE "Revolver" but didn't get issued until some time after. My guess as an answer to your question is that Donovan could quite easily have had the idea first.

And although he hadn't yet used it on an album himself, Mike Pinder of the Moody Blues, who would become popular music's leading practitioner of the mellotron, is the one who introduced Lennon to the instrument.  
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 13:29
To me, Mark Fry's "The Witch" off 1972's Dreaming With Alice is Progressive Psychedelic Folk.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 13:44

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 14:01
^Really great song and yes, it got some prog feeling like some other SAHB-songs.
frosty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frosty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 17:45
A sadly missed band Remember Remember recorded the brilliant song John Candy. More ideas in this one track than many bands have in their entire career, and never considered as prog.

https://youtu.be/xgPmYQ6MiD4

Well worth hunting their back catalogue out.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 20:31
A rather prog-ish, and downright awesome entry from none other than Mr. Mellow, Cat Stevens

18th Avenue (Kansas City Nightmare)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIWRiBsj9Lo
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 02:53
Billy Joel has had some great prog-ish songs from over the years, including Captain Jack (1973), Prelude / Angry Young Man (1976), and my personal favourite, Scenes From an Italian Restaurant (1977).
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Cag71 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cag71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 05:18
Karat - Der Albatros. Powerful and majestic, just like an albatross.  :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dMEkaMzp80

Edited by Cag71 - August 11 2018 at 05:21
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 09:47

@cstack3 @mortte

I entirely agree about Alice! I've always thought Halo Of Flies was a progressive masterpiece (listened to it twice the last few days Approve). As for Second Coming, I always thought that was a highly underrated song, and Dwight Fry is truly terrifying! (in a good way...)

@Hercules

Thanks you!  AC had some real powerhouse talent with Dennis Dunaway and Mike Bruce!  I think that they really helped to define the Prog idiom, with elaborate stage sets (they were one of the first), long compositions and interesting/unconventional instrumentation.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 12:43
@BaldJean 

I've always really loved The Faith Healer, but hadn't thought it was prog ... but actually I think you're right!

(How do people get their videos displayed in the post? All I seem able to do is add a hyperlink.)

Edited by TiddK - August 11 2018 at 12:44
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 12:59
"Achilles Last Stand" has already been mentioned, but add...

Kashmir
No Quarter
Ten Years Gone

And throw in Prog Blues:
In My Time of Dying
When the Levee Breaks
Nobody's Fault But Mine
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 15:15
^ "In the Light" could work too.

@BaldJean 

I've always really loved The Faith Healer, but hadn't thought it was prog ... but actually I think you're right!

(How do people get their videos displayed in the post? All I seem able to do is add a hyperlink.)

Quoting posts with video helps as you can see the code.

To use the Morricone video as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjzHh1WSNpI

You only want the unique identifier letter/number combo after v=, so just tjzHh1WSNpI

You then add tube tags to it, so, and I have to break this with spaces to show it without it becoming embedded it is:

[tube ]tjzHh1WSNpI [/ tube]

If you do that without the spaces, it becomes embedded:

That said, one shouldn't overdo it with video embeds (I've been guilty of this). Lots in a post or on a page will cause some browsers to crash, seize, not load.

Edited by Logan - August 11 2018 at 15:16
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 15:49
Faith Healer! Yes!
Also Roy Buchanan "You're Not Alone"
Elton John "Four Moods" off of "Friends," actually composed by Paul Buckmaster
Colourbox "Just Give 'Em Whiskey"
The Church just about anything off of "Sometime Anywhere"
The Toll  "Jonathan Toledo"
Glass Harp "Can You See Me" and "Whatever Life Demands"

PROGMATIC
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 22:01
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Since Donovan was hanging around with The Beatles I wonder who had the idea to use the tron first, Donovan or John 

I read the other day that Lennon ordered a Mellotron after hearing one on The Silkie's version of "You've got to hide your love away", which he produced.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 23:59
Ten Years After has quite prog feeling in their "Watt" & "a Space In Time" -albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>