Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1978 Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Which of the these do you like best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [7.86%]
34 [24.29%]
27 [19.29%]
16 [11.43%]
33 [23.57%]
6 [4.29%]
13 [9.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 10:54
Heavy Horses, without question.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 14:02
Hemispheres, closely followed by Heavy Horses. Tormato is very underrated though
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 16:21
As much as I love Rush and Jethro Tull, UK has to win this vote for me. 
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 15:52
UK, from the list
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 19:51
Nah, nah, no - it's U.K. over the much beloved Hemispheres.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 20:07
While I voted for Hemispheres, it was by an infinitesimal margin; so close that I almost chose to abstain rather than try to choose between that and UK.  It's great to see UK getting so much love.  Highly surprising as well.  I know this is a prog site, so I would expect them to at least be known and appreciated, but even here I didn't expect to see that much appreciation.  Very cool.  Another reason I'm glad I started hanging around these parts. 
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 11:17
lots of great albums in 1978!

but Hemispheres for me
Prog On!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 17:20
Heavy Horses for me, though I like the rest too.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 16:04
Heavy Horses 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 03:29
Horses...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 08:27
First of all, Tormato isn't nearly as bad as this poll would suggest. I actually happen to like it a lot but then again it had to grow on me and I'm a Yes fanatic anyway. I voted for Hemispheres though.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 09:38
Ryuichi Sakamoto's A Thousand Knives of Ryuichi Sakamoto

Perhaps tied with it is Robbie Basho's Visions of the Country
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 00:55
Hemispheres without hesitation. Fantastic album. I'm not suprised UK is in second place, another superb album.

Sad to see ATTWT getting so few votes. I understand why it's such a polarising album, but I love it.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 21:52
Hemispheres by far
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2018 at 20:20
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Maybe Hemispheres of those, but I could not resist voting other due to Bubu's Anabelas, Cos' Babel, Ose' Adonia Yochk'o Seffer's Neffesh Music: Ghilgoul, Magma's Attahk, Haruomi Hosono's Cochin Moon, Weidorje, Klaus Schulze's X, Heldon's Interface, The Residents' Not Available, Art Bears' Hopes and Fears, Automat's self-titled, Kraftwerk's The Man Machine, National Health's Of Queues And Cures, and a host of others which I happen to prefer to those on the list. Just a matter of my fairly quirky tastes. It is hard to choose between those that I've listed.

I guess I don't get out much.LOL
I've been into prog för 45 years and never heard of any but three.
lostrom
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2018 at 21:50
I just got and am listening to Jean Michel Jarre's "Equinoxe" album, and I think I am enjoying it more than I like any of those albums as a whole.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 02:25
without any doubt Nik Turner's "Xitintoday". one of my favorite albums of all time.

here my review of the album:

5 stars This is one of the forgotten gems of prog. Of Nik Turner, sax and flute player of Hawkwind, one would expect something on the heavy side, but this wonderful album is very quiet and spacy (though not completely without rhythm, and in the last track it even rocks a little - but don't expect anything like Hawkwind). With half of Gong plus former Hawkwind drummer Alan Powell and Morris Pert of Brand X on percussion the lineup is exquisite. But the biggest surprise is Nik Turner himself. His flute clearly dominates the album, and one really feels the ancient Egyptian Gods evoked by it. The music makes a lot of use of vocoder, which adds to the feeling that supernatural beings are around. This is not an album to play in the background; listen to it late at night by candle light. In my opinion clearly the best album of 1978. Warning: The 1994 CD of Nik Turner of the same name - "Xitintoday" - only has the lyrics in common with this album. The music of that release is completely different though, not even the same compositions. It is not a bad album itself, but no competition for this masterpiece. So stick to the vinyl, if you can find it somewhere (unless Virgin decides to reissue this gem on CD). And then "Hommage to Thee, Oh Ra, in Thy Rising".

Edited by BaldJean - September 06 2018 at 02:35

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 03:07
For some strange reason I love ATTWT up to this day

(I guess it has to do with the memories of the girl I was dating that summer - red hair and freckled - and the countless times we spent together listening to it in the background LOL)
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 03:50
Originally posted by lostrom lostrom wrote:

Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Maybe Hemispheres of those, but I could not resist voting other due to Bubu's Anabelas, Cos' Babel, Ose' Adonia Yochk'o Seffer's Neffesh Music: Ghilgoul, Magma's Attahk, Haruomi Hosono's Cochin Moon, Weidorje, Klaus Schulze's X, Heldon's Interface, The Residents' Not Available, Art Bears' Hopes and Fears, Automat's self-titled, Kraftwerk's The Man Machine, National Health's Of Queues And Cures, and a host of others which I happen to prefer to those on the list. Just a matter of my fairly quirky tastes. It is hard to choose between those that I've listed.

I guess I don't get out much.LOL
I've been into prog för 45 years and never heard of any but three.
Prog snob/besserwisser alert!... Its no wonder y'all think punk killed off prog in '77 when when you don't look outside UK's big selling bands (sans that canadian power trio). More goodness:

Popol Vuh - Nosferatu (On the Way to a Little Way) 
Popol Vuh - Nosferatu: Brüder des Schattens - Söhne des Lichts
The Residents - Duck Stab / Buster & Glen
Clivage - Mixtus Orbis
Ex Vitae - Mandarine
Adelbert von Deyen - Sternzeit
Pascal Languirand - Minos 
Ocarinah - Première vision de l'étrange
Het Pandorra Ensemble - III
Rainbow Generator - Dance of the Spheres
Vasant Rai - Autumn Song
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 04:54
^But how can something be prog when it doesn’t sound like proper symph?

Just kidding...it is however a little weird to see so many members on here who never really venture out beyond the usual suspects...maybe check out a solo discography from time to time or a sideproject even.
Why not try some bands from Italy/Japan/Brazil or indeed sample some new sonic avenues via a change of style?

I also voted for ‘other’ as I feel the usual suspects were rather dull compared to what was being released that year. Saper has pretty much covered my faves already. Brilliant year for music!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>