Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1978 Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Which of the these do you like best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [7.86%]
34 [24.29%]
27 [19.29%]
16 [11.43%]
33 [23.57%]
6 [4.29%]
13 [9.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978 Albums
    Posted: August 09 2018 at 14:15
A few albums from 1978 to choose from.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 14:31
Maybe Hemispheres of those, but I could not resist voting other due to Bubu's Anabelas, Cos' Babel, Ose' Adonia Yochk'o Seffer's Neffesh Music: Ghilgoul, Magma's Attahk, Haruomi Hosono's Cochin Moon, Weidorje, Klaus Schulze's X, Heldon's Interface, The Residents' Not Available, Art Bears' Hopes and Fears, Automat's self-titled, Kraftwerk's The Man Machine, National Health's Of Queues And Cures, and a host of others which I happen to prefer to those on the list. Just a matter of my fairly quirky tastes. It is hard to choose between those that I've listed.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 14:48
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Maybe Hemispheres of those, but I could not resist voting other due to Bubu's Anabelas, Cos' Babel, Ose' Adonia Yochk'o Seffer's Neffesh Music: Ghilgoul, Magma's Attahk, Haruomi Hosono's Cochin Moon, Weidorje, Klaus Schulze's X, Heldon's Interface, The Residents' Not Available, Art Bears' Hopes and Fears, Automat's self-titled, Kraftwerk's The Man Machine, National Health's Of Queues And Cures, and a host of others which I happen to prefer to those on the list. Just a matter of my fairly quirky tastes. It is hard to choose between those that I've listed.

I guess I don't get out much.LOL
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 14:55
Renaissance ASFAS is one of my favourite albums so it gets my vote, Tull's Heavy Horses is also great

Edited by kenethlevine - August 09 2018 at 14:55
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 15:31
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Sorry, I felt like I was being a bit of an ass by listing so much stuff, but I love so much from 1978 and I don't have very "mainstream Prog" tastes. That said, do at least consider giving Bubu's Anabelas a listen if you haven't looked into it before (but of course only if you feel so inclined). :) It's an album in the Eclectic Prog category that is highly regarded by many, and I find it quite brilliant (quirky for sure, but still quite accessible to many fans of Prog I would think). It's the fifteenth highest ranked album in the Eclectic Prog category with a 4.27 rating and 502 ratings (if it weren't for the domination of KC, GG, and VdGG, it would be the third highest ranked album in that category -- just behind Voyage of the Acolyte). My wife once said to me that she was surprised I like it as it seems rather ordinary (I was in a pretty avant-garde phase at the time).

Edited by Logan - August 09 2018 at 17:46
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 15:34
Hemispheres for sure. This is a wonderful album.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 15:38
Some fine albums, some flawed gems, but none stack up to my 1st Zappa album so I voted 'other' for Studio Tan.
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 15:59
very easy this one.
Heavy Horses is the 2nd best Jethro Tull album imo
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 16:15
Renaissance out of these
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 16:28
I love Heavy Horses and A Song for all Seasons, they're both worth a vote but Tull just grab it.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 16:32
The Man-Machine
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 16:47
Genesis

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 17:05
I'm giving the supergroup UK its first vote.

Shaking my head over how they sent Holdsworth packing..and then Bruford by protest....
-John
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 17:33
The man Machine a good choice---Important albumBig smile
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 17:43
Some great albums listed, but Hemispheres by Rush is a masterpiece! I'm pleased to give it its first vote.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 18:11
Hemispheres
Weidorje
Of Queues And Cures
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 18:31
This one's definitely a tie — between TWO Goblin albums!

Studio: Il Fantastico Viaggio del Bagarozzo Mark
Soundtrack: Zombi aka Dawn of the Dead
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 19:43
UK for sure, RIP John Wetton and Allan Holdsworth! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 20:15
Well, I can't not vote for Hemispheres.  

But damn!  Not putting UK at the top of just about any list is feels like stabbing myself in the heart.  That debut is positively phenomenal!  Wetton and Holdsworth RULE.  The rest of the group ain't too shabby either.  
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 20:37

Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Sorry, I felt like I was being a bit of an ass by listing so much stuff, but I love so much from 1978 and I don't have very "mainstream Prog" tastes. That said, do at least consider giving Bubu's Anabelas a listen if you haven't looked into it before (but of course only if you feel so inclined). :) It's an album in the Eclectic Prog category that is highly regarded by many, and I find it quite brilliant (quirky for sure, but still quite accessible to many fans of Prog I would think). It's the fifteenth highest ranked album in the Eclectic Prog category with a 4.27 rating and 502 ratings (if it weren't for the domination of KC, GG, and VdGG, it would be the third highest ranked album in that category -- just behind Voyage of the Acolyte). My wife once said to me that she was surprised I like it as it seems rather ordinary (I was in a pretty avant-garde phase at the time).

I was just listening to Anabelas a few hours ago. It's one of my all time favorites but I didn't think that it was from 1978 and chose UK out of the list. Otherwise, I would have voted other.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>