Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"To Keep From Crying" or "The Night We Died"

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these songs do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [57.14%]
3 [42.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "To Keep From Crying" or "The Night We Died"
    Posted: August 09 2018 at 14:58
Sorry, there is no "Eliphas Levi" or "Children of the Universe" option in this poll, though I think I did that one years ago (or something similar).

These poll options are the final songs off the much reviled Merci by Magma and To Keep From Crying by Comus albums (I like both albums). There is a minute long track after the "To Keep From Crying" song called "After the Dream," but it's an instrumental rather than specifically a song.

There are two tracks that tend to get most positively reviewed off the Magma and Comus albums, and those are "Eliphas Levi" off Merci and "Children of the Universe" off To Keep From Crying. Neither the "To Keep From Crying" title track, nor "The Night We Died" have seemed to get as much attention from my experience, so I thought it might be fun to shine a spotlight on these tracks. I would imagine that the rocky Comus will get more votes, and it will be my choice, but the Magma one is beautiful.

Here are the videos for those that don't know both, or need reminding. Unfortunately, I cannot find the individual song for Comus to embed (there is one on youtube but it is blocked from my country), so I have tried to timestamp the video to play at the right time. If that doesn't work, start playing at about 34:42. Done both with hyperlinks, since I was having some problems embedding one.

Magma - "The Night We Died"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSsptss3piM

Comus - "To Keep From Crying"

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23hyho?start=2082

Edited by Logan - August 09 2018 at 15:24
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 21:54
I go with "To Keep From Crying". Excellent track from the really underrated album, I like also Merci.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 09:43
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I go with "To Keep From Crying". Excellent track from the really underrated album, I like also Merci.

I like Merci, especially for the excellent "Eliphas Levi", but I do like "The Night We Died", which reminds me of the softness of some Offering and Félicité Thösz) very much too.

As for "To Keep From Crying," it may be rather generic, but I really love this track.

I feel that the album To Keep From Crying is unfairly maligned by lovers of First Utterance and unfairly ignored by those who dislike First Utterance. To the Comus haters who dislike First Utterance's dark concept, To Keep From Crying never (or rarely) seems to factor into their opinion of the band. I enjoy the album a great deal on its own merits.

It's interesting that the compilation album Song To Comus - The Complete Collection (incomplete now, of course) commonly gets great reviews despite having all of To Keep From Crying on it -- mind you, aside from having First Utterance on it, it has fantastic extra tracks. That is my favourite Comus album. I like the contrasts, and "Winter is a Coloured Bird" may be favourite song, also really love "All the Colours of Darkness", as well as "In the Lost Queen's Eyes".
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 13:55
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I like Merci, especially for the excellent "Eliphas Levi", but I do like "The Night We Died", which reminds me of the softness of some Offering and Félicité Thösz) very much too.

As for "To Keep From Crying," it may be rather generic, but I really love this track.

I feel that the album To Keep From Crying is unfairly maligned by lovers of First Utterance and unfairly ignored by those who dislike First Utterance. To the Comus haters who dislike First Utterance's dark concept, To Keep From Crying never (or rarely) seems to factor into their opinion of the band. I enjoy the album a great deal on its own merits.

It's interesting that the compilation album Song To Comus - The Complete Collection (incomplete now, of course) commonly gets great reviews despite having all of To Keep From Crying on it -- mind you, aside from having First Utterance on it, it has fantastic extra tracks. That is my favourite Comus album. I like the contrasts, and "Winter is a Coloured Bird" may be favourite song, also really love "All the Colours of Darkness", as well as "In the Lost Queen's Eyes".
I love all three Comus albums, although to me also First Utterance is their greatest and only masterpiece.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 14:29

I love all three Comus albums, although to me also First Utterance is their greatest and only masterpiece.

I Like all three too, and I consider First Utterance to be their masterpiece and only truly "great" album.   I also think that it's a masterpiece of acid folk and I consider it to be one of the greatest albums in PA. If I could put one album in top spot in Prog Archives's Prog Folk, then I do believe that I would put First Utterance in top spot (I personally think having Jethro Tull in the top three spots looks off, but to me he's more Eclectic Prog than the Folkies that I love such as Comus, Spirogyra and many others, but I digress - lol).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 22:35

I Like all three too, and I consider First Utterance to be their masterpiece and only truly "great" album.   I also think that it's a masterpiece of acid folk and I consider it to be one of the greatest albums in PA. If I could put one album in top spot in Prog Archives's Prog Folk, then I do believe that I would put First Utterance in top spot (I personally think having Jethro Tull in the top three spots looks off, but to me he's more Eclectic Prog than the Folkies that I love such as Comus, Spirogyra and many others, but I digress - lol).
Well, if I now make top20 albums of all time, I believe First Utterance will be there (absolutely top 50 list). I started to listen it about year ago (I have known about it really long, but never seen any physical copy anywhere, also it still isn´t in spotify, which I think is one of the biggest lacks there, I found it finally from youtube) really it has been one of my biggest favourites among with some Faust, Judy Dyble, Tim Buckley & Roy Harper lately of last year. To me Comus goes much more over Pentangle or Spirogyra or Strawbs, although like them too, Fairport Convention has some albums that I think at least almost as great as First Utterance.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 22:57

Well, if I now make top20 albums of all time, I believe First Utterance will be there (absolutely top 50 list). I started to listen it about year ago (I have known about it really long, but never seen any physical copy anywhere, also it still isn´t in spotify, which I think is one of the biggest lacks there, I found it finally from youtube) really it has been one of my biggest favourites among with some Faust, Judy Dyble, Tim Buckley & Roy Harper lately of last year. To me Comus goes much more over Pentangle or Spirogyra or Strawbs, although like them too, Fairport Convention has some albums that I think at least almost as great as First Utterance.

Like all you've mentioned except Judy Dyble because I didn't know her. But thanks to the wonders of the modern age, listening now on youtube and enjoying (I also have a Spotify account). As for Comus, I got a physical copy of Song to Comus which includes First Utterance in maybe 2006, which I ripped.
I hardly ever listen to CDs or vinyl anymore (I do like to collect vinyl, but it's often not so much about listening to it).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 23:09

Like all you've mentioned except Judy Dyble because I didn't know her. But thanks to the wonders of the modern age, listening now on youtube and enjoying (I also have a Spotify account).
Check also this (it´s also in spotify):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL94gOvpr5yt1cur41vhR-v7SE5sAKK7tX

I think you know she sang also in Fairport Convention first album, I think it´s also really underrated, although it has lots of covers I think for example Joni Mitchell covers in it are much better than the originals and one big reason is Judy´s absolutely terrific vocals! I just ordered her last two solo albums that I have found really great, can´t wait to get them!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 17:21
I'll go with The Night We Died.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 16:04
Magma's track is my choice. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 00:20
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Magma's track is my choice. 

Oh Yes
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply