Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: DEVIL DOLL
    Posted: September 16 2005 at 12:56

I really want to hear this group its seems very undergroud and dark group

My curiosity woke up when read a little of Mr Doctor

Ihave to buy a devil doll record outside cause here nobody have it

I want to hear more opinions about this group before i order.

If anyone have ever heard Devill Doll post a coment.

Thaks

The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 13:02
They're an acquired taste, and I'd recommend downloading a sample before you pay for an import CD. They have a very melodramatic style that (for me anyway) falls rather flat and doesn't impress. I know a lot of people on this forum are big big fans though, which just backs up my comment that they're a very acquired taste. Just a taste I failed to acquire, I suppose.
corea_p83 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 13:13
Where can i download a sample????
richeym View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 13:23
corea_p83 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 13:40

Thak for the links

Suonds intresting but the samples are not enough  

What is the meaning of this 1. The Girl who was....Death (38:48 + 26:20 of silence + 1:56)

Beacuse i wont pay for an album that contein 20 minutos of silence

I think i better get one cd from emule and listening well.

geezer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 14:43
Originally posted by corea_p83 corea_p83 wrote:

Thak for the links

Suonds intresting but the samples are not enough  

What is the meaning of this 1. The Girl who was....Death (38:48 + 26:20 of silence + 1:56)

Beacuse i wont pay for an album that contein 20 minutos of silence

I think i better get one cd from emule and listening well.

Yes, there is silence because of the coda. There is a coda in the albums "Sacrilegium" and "Dies Irae" as well.

I agree that this band is very much an acquired taste and i happen to think it's some of the most brilliant music ever made. The vocals are even more an acquired taste and i happen to love the vocals as well.
corea_p83 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 15:30

That voice are real

Or use some kind of syntetizer???????????????????????????????????

corea_p83 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 15:31

no syntetizer sorry

Distortion

tr00vndkvlt View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2006 at 21:04
Just wanted to say that this is the greatest band of all time. 100% consistent. Not a single bad moment, not a single bad album. Extremely unique and unbelievably passionate and ambitious works. The production values are completely insane.. Dies Irae cost over 100grand to produce (in their currency). The musicians are ALL top class, completely professional. Many of them are in the Slovenian Philharmonic. The composer is a genius.

What more needs to be said.. If you do not own all the Devil Doll albums you're really missing out on something extremely special.

By the way.. I love the pipe organ. Now THAT is cool. I do not know of any other band that has recorded pipe organ. Hammond organ, synthesizer, yes.. but PIPE organ, no.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2006 at 21:26
I have to be honest here. I only heard of Eliogabalus and Sacrilege of Fatal Arms. Eliogabalus was a nice album, but I think I gave it 4 stars because of the shock factor. It's a great album, but after some more listens the novelty wears off. I'm thinking of giving it a desent 3 stars instead of the previous 4.  Sacrilege of Fatal Arms is... well... long. Too long for it's own good. In the second half of the song they sound like their making things up just to reach the 70 minute mark.

They have nice potential, but they need to focus more their ideas.

I pretty much agree with Trotsky's words: "...and while it's cool to have checked it out once, it's not something you'd want to revisit too often..."

moebius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2006 at 22:18
It is true that they made an special edition of an album that only their members own?? I´ve heard that.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2006 at 23:48
He recently made a reissue of Sacrilegium in a leather box numbered to 10. He gave one to the webmaster of Devildoll.nl and select more people. And his comment on the book of some 1000 fan letters was simply "Astounded".

His first album called Mark Of The Beast there is only one copy of but presumably everyone in the band has heard it because they recorded it, but they would have only heard the recording and nothing else. No test pressings or anything exist of it as far as I know. None of the musicians or the producer have a copy. Stranger thing about the Mark Of The Beast besides it only being in one copy was that it was an official release on Hurdy Gurdy records I think. It has it's own number and everything. His comment on this album - and always a man of very few words it seems - was "This is a painting, not a graphic work".

Quite a character LOLConfused

I don't listen to Devil Doll much but now and then I listen to them, or I show a new friend. Whenever I show someone the reaction I get is often they're blown away by it but it's too dark. Or it's too scary and they don't finish it. Or they're just completely entranced.
progadicto View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 00:10
Ok.. Ok... There are two special editions: one from Eliogabalus and one from Dies Irae: Both of them are basicly the same but with a few musical minutes more which not make much difference... Well, the special edition of Dies Irae is on a cover of leather imitation and... it's very beautiful but the cost... wow! If you're not a fan you wouldn't pay for that...

The music: Well, Mr. Doctor has a gloomy and scary voice of course sometimes passed through synth but the effects are good. I don't recommend the samples. Every Devil Doll album is a complete piece with strong concepts and many references to b-movies from the 60's and 70's (just see the cover art). Camera music, rock, epical chorus, metal, prog, dark lyrics... all in one. It's hard to find the key to understand every album but when you find it... wow! you will enjoy every note alone, light out and loud in your bedroom... Really. I'm a huge symph fan (My all-time favourite is Yes) but Devil Doll still makes feel goosebumps...

Buy it! Buy it!
... E N E L B U N K E R...
stupid_dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 01:04
devil doll is great, the girl who was death is incredible, and talking bout the voice,...mr doctor is known as the man of the 1000 voices as far as i know
progadicto View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 08:34
Originally posted by stupid_dreamer stupid_dreamer wrote:

devil doll is great, the girl who was death is incredible, and talking bout the voice,...mr doctor is known as the man of the 1000 voices as far as i know

Mr Doctor calling himself "the man of the 1000 voices"... sorry but it's true... but i know the woman of the "1000 voices" and she's amazing and lovely... Her name is DIAMANDA GALAS and you have to try to pick some album made by her...

And here is she...

... E N E L B U N K E R...
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 16:06
Originally posted by progadicto progadicto wrote:

Ok.. Ok... There are two special editions: one from Eliogabalus and one from Dies Irae: Both of them are basicly the same but with a few musical minutes more which not make much difference... Well, the special edition of Dies Irae is on a cover of leather imitation and... it's very beautiful but the cost... wow! If you're not a fan you wouldn't pay for that...

The music: Well, Mr. Doctor has a gloomy and scary voice of course sometimes passed through synth but the effects are good. I don't recommend the samples. Every Devil Doll album is a complete piece with strong concepts and many references to b-movies from the 60's and 70's (just see the cover art). Camera music, rock, epical chorus, metal, prog, dark lyrics... all in one. It's hard to find the key to understand every album but when you find it... wow! you will enjoy every note alone, light out and loud in your bedroom... Really. I'm a huge symph fan (My all-time favourite is Yes) but Devil Doll still makes feel goosebumps...

Buy it! Buy it!

I have the fan club Dies Irae and it only cost me $27 USD. Maybe a lot for Americans to spend but I pay at least $24.99 CDN without tax for every CD I buy from the store, sometimes $27.99 or $31.99, so the $27 USD was normal. That, and I imported it from Italy.
 Post Reply Post Reply