Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A playlist to discover Prog Rock (+ other genres)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A playlist to discover Prog Rock (+ other genres)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A playlist to discover Prog Rock (+ other genres)
    Posted: August 31 2018 at 02:33
Nice lists... all of them. Probably wise to keep them relatively short for newbies. Still I've got a few suggestions. I'd swap You Doo Right for Mother Sky and Rattlesnake for Crumbling Castle. As entry points I consider them more "iconic" and less an acquired taste/monotonous. I'd also drop Flaming Lipsin favour of Godspeed You! Black Emperor (Moya) or Tortoise (Seneca) as I don't think the former band belongs on this list at all - while those other two bands are rather essential for two approaches to modern progressive rock/post rock. Moreso than Sigur Ros I'd say. You'll have room for both if you skip one of the Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree tracks. He is not THAT important. 

Also Prophets Song instead of Bohemian Rhapsody as I'd think the former tune is more of an ear-opener and not played to death on radio and everywhere else. For similar reasons I would choose something else than Kayleigh - its basically a pop/rock-tune played by a neo prog band and won't help much. I would skip neo prog entirely though but that's me I guess.

I also agree with Lewian about including an example of RIO (maybe Half Asleep, Half Awake by Henry Cow or Carabosse by Univers Zero) and something by Kate Bush (I'd go for one of the more semi-experimental tunes from The Dreaming)...

I always considered mainstream jazz with complex time signatures of the sort that was actually got radio airplay - such as Take Five by Dave Brubeck (or another tune from Time Out) as more essential for the development of prog rock than advanced vocal harmonies by The Beach Boys.

Its also lacking in the jazzier department of progressive. Something like Slightly All the Time by Soft Machine would help complete the picture and you'd get some Canterbury Scene-flavour. 

Finally Knots is such an one off experiment-oddity (although On Reflection has a similar approach) I'd think Advent of Panurge will do a better job introducing both band and genre.   

MrMHead View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 18:42
... so not sure why my first post got lost :(
- been lurking, now my 2nd post (3rd try ... lets try again)

Thanks!
Helps confirm my belief that I was a prog fan long before I knew I was a prog fan, or what "prog" was.

Much like I was an Adrian Belew fan before I knew who Adrian was (via 80's King Crimson)

"Back in the day" - I knew this as "Album Oriented Rock" or AOR.

MrMHead View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 18:35
Thanks
(longer reply lost by captcha block)
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 08:05
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

The greatest ISSUE is no mention of PFM, ANGE, WIGWAM, BANCO, CARAVAN, GENTLE GIANT, FRANK ZAPPA, HENRY COW (some mentioned further up the thread)  and so many other European folks that deserve the mention but continue to be ignored by folks that only listen to top ten material ... witness the incredible listing of small songs, something that most of progressive/prog was not about!

I intended to make this playlist for friends or family members not knowing prog rock, for newbies, or for someone wanting to discover what prog rock is about in general, but not for connoisseurs.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway, I added GENTLE GIANT, MAGMA and FRANK ZAPPA. Of course, many many bands are not present on this list and deserve to be on a "best of prog" playlist. However, the goal of my playlists is not to make an exhaustive best of, but rather to give a representative spectrum of the different subgenres.

Electronic:
Pink Floyd should not be listed in Electronic Music.

Despite not being a pure electronic band, they were one of the firsts to explore the use of electronics in rock music. Tracks such as "More (main theme)", "One of These Days" and "On the Run" were very innovative at the time and contributed to the development of electronic music in general. The Blue Man Group even did a cover of "One of These Days".

In the context of Pink Floyd, I find the technical mastership of the keyboardist less important than his ability to create and developing ambiances.

Yellow Magic Orchestra should (maybe?) also list Ryuichi Sakamoto, who went on to do several soundtracks (has an Oscar!!!!), and other experimental music which stands out (Neo Geo/Beauty/Heartbeat), albums that mix things up so nicely that it makes them weird and hard to listen to.
Yes, maybe.

Krautrock:
The Cosmic Couriers should be listed. Cosmic Jokers is the same folks!
Yep, I have to re-give them a listen to decide which track to include.

Progressive:
Neu should not be listed in "progressive". They are fine in the other list.

They were very innovative and avant-garde at the time, influencing other bands to come. That's why I included them on the list.

Ozric Tentacles - Strangeitude and Erpland were the albums that just about got them here to "progressive", although I am not sure they are "progressive".

For me, they're a modernization of Gong's "ambient space jungle" - as Dream Theater was a modernization of Rush's prog metal tracks of the 70's - and they gave ideas to further modern space rock band, so I included them.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 07:31
Hi,

The greatest ISSUE is no mention of PFM, ANGE, WIGWAM, BANCO, CARAVAN, GENTLE GIANT, FRANK ZAPPA, HENRY COW (some mentioned further up the thread)  and so many other European folks that deserve the mention but continue to be ignored by folks that only listen to top ten material ... witness the incredible listing of small songs, something that most of progressive/prog was not about!

Interesting list, but I was around when all this started and lists like these have no meaning for me, and I would even avoid a show that mentioned the "keywords", knowing darn well that the definition of which would not be satisfying in that it was removed from the time and place, which helped them stand out.

Today's listeners are connected to rap and trip this and that, and while my listening 40 years ago was not that addicted, it was more studied and detailed, I find the connection is still there, and always will be. AND, I have not lost the appreciation for any music, which is the part that hurts most of the folks that are into "something", which disappears later when they get married and get a child, so to speak!

I'm into it, because all of the music resonates deeply to me, not because of a listing. That is important and is the spirit of "progressive".

Electronic:
Pink Floyd should not be listed in Electronic Music. 

Can is not an Electronic Music band, It just has a magnificent keyboard player that we do not recognize as great.

Alan Parsons should not be listed with Electronic Music

Yellow Magic Orchestra should (maybe?) also list Ryuichi Sakamoto, who went on to do several soundtracks (has an Oscar!!!!), and other experimental music which stands out (Neo Geo/Beauty/Heartbeat), albums that mix things up so nicely that it makes them weird and hard to listen to.

Krautrock:
The Cosmic Couriers should be listed. Cosmic Jokers is the same folks!

Progressive:
Neu should not be listed in "progressive". They are fine in the other list.

Ozric Tentacles - Strangeitude and Erpland were the albums that just about got them here to "progressive", although I am not sure they are "progressive". They were, and are, a nice trip band, but progressive went out their window when their flute and effects went out the window to the trash cans.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 08:53
I just glanced at it but it looks like a good cross section that covers most of the bases. 
I like the way you set it up with some of the pre-prog stuff included.
People may say " where's this  or what about that band" but of course you can't fit everything.
 Nice job!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 08:42
Generally I think you did a very decent job there, particularly not focusing too much on the seventies. Whatever anyone tries of this kind will be criticised so one can criticise this one, too, but I think most people, even genuine prog fans, wouldn't do remotely as well when trying to do the same thing.

The biggest omissions seem to be Gentle Giant and Zappa, in terms of their general standing, sophistication and influence. I really think they should be there (and I'm not even a fan of GG).
I'd have liked to see some RIO, say Henry Cow, Art Zoyd or Universe Zero, and I'd have added some Cardiacs, Talk Talk and Kate Bush (I know we generally don't score highly on feminism but the list is rather masculine even for prog's standards) from my personal list of biggies. Another omission, Camel, is very popular around here and despite not being a top innovative and influential band, their melodic and emotional qualities will appeal to a good number of people starting to get into prog, same Renaissance.
Anyway, at some point it comes down to individual taste, so well done overall!

Edited by Lewian - August 23 2018 at 08:44
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 04:59
^Sorry, I should be more careful when reading others post. I quess my mistake also came from that original tittle of your thread, that correction is good.
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 02:30
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Also, not want to be a any kind of puritan, but New Order & Daft Punk on proglist?

Unless I made a mistake, they are on the "Discover Electronic Music" playlist, which covers electronic music in general, not only progressive electronic ;-)

Edited by Modrigue - August 20 2018 at 02:30
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 02:24
When you have put quite much not very common prog stuff, I think Family, Traffic, Caravan & Comus should be on your playlist, just because they´re one of the greatest progbands! Also, not want to be a any kind of puritan, but New Order & Daft Punk on proglist?
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 02:05
ELP is already in 6th position in the list ;-)

My goal is not to make an exhaustive playlist, rather a playlist for someone wanting to discover what prog rock in general is about. I don't want to present all prog bands, only the most representatives of every subgenre.

BTW, thanks for the Procol Harum suggestion, I added it to the playlist.
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 00:27
Nice playlist, but there are lots of stuff missing in my opinion.
Where's Procol Harum? Renaissance? ELP? Even Barclay James Harvest? Among others of course...

Edited by The Jester - August 20 2018 at 00:27
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 02:30
"What is progressive rock? Where do I begin? How did it start?"

Ever heard these questions from your friends or on a forum?

Well, to answer these, I made a chronological youtube playlist for those wanting to discover, or to make someone discover, Progressive Rock in general, its history and evolution. I tried to select the most representative songs, musically and historically speaking.

I also made chronological playlists to discover Electronic music, Krautrock and Trip-hop:

Tell me what you think about it and if you see important songs lacking.

Edited by Modrigue - August 20 2018 at 04:16
 Post Reply Post Reply