Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mike Rutherford influenced by Townshend and theOx
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mike Rutherford influenced by Townshend and theOx

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mike Rutherford influenced by Townshend and theOx
    Posted: August 11 2018 at 03:34
I feel Mike Rutherfords electric guitar playing is quite inspired by Pete Townshend and bass by John Entwiztle, and more so than i would guess. Though John Entwiztle inspired basicly most of the next generation of axe wielders but the way f.exe Johns bass rumbles and clangs in Tommy through Quadrophenia, i feel Mike has borrowed into Genesis. And also hes electric guitarplaying becomes is inspired by Petes delicate plucking and guitar lines.

Edited by Icarium - August 11 2018 at 03:36
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 03:42
I think you can find some similarities in Rutherford's playing to the Ox at times, especially on the lamb album, but I think it's just a coincidence as Rutherford seemed to have own style throughout the Genesis canon.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 09:03
think they were all inspired by Enthwiztle --Squire too---but think Mike had his own style and he's actually in my top 5 bass players---showy when he wants to be but also big fat chunky sounds--very cool
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 10:42
Love them both, but I don't really hear a style connection between Rutherford & Entwhistle, possibly because the roles they were filling were so different.  The Ox had to take up a lot of space, especially when Townshend stepped away from rhythm into lead/solo territory.  He was probably the first bassist to be properly described as playing, "lead bass" and was usually up in the mix and in your face.  Rutherford's playing and tone was much more restrained, though he did have many cool moments where his bass lines are prominent.  Also, he had Banks to supplement the low end allowing him to move from bass to 12 string rhythm.

Both cool, but both very different to my ears Wink

As for Rutherford's lead playing, I think he sounds more like Hackett than Townshend.  When I first heard ATTWT, I couldn't believe that wasn't Hackett and Rutherford could solo like that LOL

Edited by The.Crimson.King - August 11 2018 at 10:47
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 17:27
Inspired yes, Influenced.......maybe to a certain degree, since Rutherford has also his own creative side.
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 16:24
I think closer to Townshend on guitar than to Entwistle on Bass. Entwistle you can really hear, he's basically the lead in any song he plays on. Townshend takes a kind of rhythm guitar approach to "lead guitar." I think Rutherford also does that. Overall, I doubt he directly imitated the Who. Who knows if he even listened to them. They were mainly contemporary with Genesis, around the same age.  

This is my opinion as a non-musician but big listener of both bands. 
 Post Reply Post Reply