Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello and help pls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ggggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello and help pls
    Posted: August 11 2018 at 15:42
Hello. I'm trying to identify the band and album title from just a memory I have of the album cover if anyone can help. The cover is ofa roman/Greek type soldier with a helmet, mask and spear and cloak, facing slightly side on and to the right of the sleeve. Can't remember the background maybe just grass or a hill. I thought the album title began with an a. Something like artemis but don't think that's it
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 15:45
Originally posted by Ggggggg Ggggggg wrote:

Hello. I'm trying to identify the band and album title from just a memory I have of the album cover if anyone can help. The cover is ofa roman/Greek type soldier with a helmet, mask and spear and cloak, facing slightly side on and to the right of the sleeve. Can't remember the background maybe just grass or a hill. I thought the album title began with an a. Something like artemis but don't think that's it

Wishbone Ash - Argus.?
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Ggggggg View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ggggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 15:47
That's it thank you so much!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 15:53
No problem at all. Take care.
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 16:42
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

No problem at all. Take care.

I suspect that's probably the easiest question of that type ever posed on here!!
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 16:56
Other than the "I'm looking for an album with a white cover, and I think the bandname might have started with a The and then maybe the next word started with a B, The Babies, The Booties, The Bottles?", it might well be. Mind you, at other music forums, such as Master X's Home of Crunk, it might not be so easy.
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 17:11
That album cover alone makes me want to buy this. Haven't explored Wishbone Ash before.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 17:19
It’s a very good album, I think. Incidentally, I don’t think that I would have known the answer to the question before I started visiting this site, though I do vaguely remember it being in a friend’s older brother’s collection (it can help to be of the vinyl generation).

Edited by Logan - August 11 2018 at 17:20
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 18:09
Well done, Logan - although I'm sure you'd know tougher ones than that, given your undoubted knowledge!

Wishbone Ash's finest moment by some distance, Ggggggg! I remember making a 'Best of' C90 cassette tape as a teenager (as you did in those days before MP3 files and downloads!) and I think I included every track off Argus on it, as I couldn't leave any tracks out due to their quality. It's a lot easier to cherry-pick the other albums, as the standout tracks do tend to be fairly obvious amongst the fillers!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 19:01
The hard part was logging-in, posting, and then getting past Captcha to get an answer posted in three minutes. Wouldn't it be cool if Captcha used Prog album cover images. Click on the album images not Dark Side of the Moon. Now choose [insert album cover exclusively on bandcamp made on a Commodore64 in mum's basement that almost no one knows].

I expect that there are many who know much more than me. Aside from my flurry of collecting over a decade ago and time spent evaluating music here, at least I've spent enough time in the database to know quite a few, but I suspect that the Errors and Omissions Team would win the prize if we ever had a "Guess that album cover" contest (and some of our prolific reviewers, and other prolific additions people, would do well too). I don't know that much when it comes to modern Prog particularly.

Argus is an iconic album. I like the first two considerably too. I hold the second album, Pilgrimage, in higher regard than many -- got some really good music per my tastes on it. "Vas Dis" is great fun, and "The Pilgrim" is a very good track, I think.

Edited by Logan - August 11 2018 at 19:04
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 21:18
Even I could have answered this question, and I haven't even heard music from Wishbone Ash.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 21:59
Wow, Dellinger and the OP.. you both should listen to some Wishbone Ash sometime, I promise you they're REALLY good. Have a lot of great albums besides Argus. New England, Front Page News, Wishbone Four.. to name just a few. For a long time they were my favorite band, they're that good. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 01:33
My favorite album from them is their debut. :)
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 03:51
I found the old cassette tape in the garage! It was a C120, so is probably unplayable now. Looks like I managed to squeeze in the following on the 'Best of' selection I home-taped from my old vinyls:

Blind Eye/Lady Whiskey/Phoenix/The Pilgrim/Jailbait/Time Was/Sometime World/Blowing Free/The King Will Come/Leaf and Stream/Warrior/Throw Down the Sword/Ballad of the Beacon/Persephone/Outward Bound/Stand and Deliver/In the Skin.

Definitely Argus-heavy and nowadays I'd have added some extra earlier and latter tracks too - but in those days you were definitely limited by the cassette tape length and not the system storage space!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 03:55
Avalon album cover.jpg This? or this? Wishbone Ash - Argus.jpg

Edited by SteveG - August 12 2018 at 03:56
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 04:09
It was Argus; already answered. Interesting observation though; that description could apply to either one. Both great albums.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 04:44
Sounds like Argus (Wishbone Ash). Great album!

Edited by TiddK - August 12 2018 at 04:49
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 11:46
Argus is a solid album , and so are the first two.....fine bluesy rock with some folk and even some jazzy overtones at times. I recall buying the first one at college because I liked the cover and name . Pilgrimage and of course Argus were even more popular. I thought they lost their edge on the later albums though there are some decent tracks here and there on the later ones.

Edited by dr wu23 - August 12 2018 at 11:47
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 21:58
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Wow, Dellinger and the OP.. you both should listen to some Wishbone Ash sometime, I promise you they're REALLY good. Have a lot of great albums besides Argus. New England, Front Page News, Wishbone Four.. to name just a few. For a long time they were my favorite band, they're that good. 

The only connection to their music that I have heard is the guitar solo from the guitar player on the song Ashes are Burning from Renaissance... though I much prefer the 20+ min version of the song in which those guitars were replaced by some wonderful vocalizations from Annie.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 20:27
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

The only connection to their music that I have heard is the guitar solo from the guitar player on the song Ashes are Burning from Renaissance... though I much prefer the 20+ min version of the song in which those guitars were replaced by some wonderful vocalizations from Annie.

Oh man, I love her singing. And liking that band more and more.

Edited by YESESIS - August 13 2018 at 20:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>