Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 05:29
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

To me its like using Nazi imagery as other bands or artists would imitate satan and use satanic images. Magma is an all inclusive gesamtkunstwerk. Whenever one fails to understand how an artist you admire (or not) can do outrageous things such as imitate Hitler speeches* in the middle of a drum solo, collect swastika flags and pictures of Hitler - creating great, meaningful art is in many ways about "Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto" or "I am human, and I think nothing human is alien to me" (quote by the Roman writer Terance). To create Zeuhl you need to understand evil. I think all this suspicion seems to come from lack of imagination and not understanding creativity. 

*used to great effect on Stöah from their debut album so its not some dirty, hidden secret but a natural part of the musical drama. 

Great posting!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 16:34

To me its like using Nazi imagery as other bands or artists would imitate satan and use satanic images. Magma is an all inclusive gesamtkunstwerk. Whenever one fails to understand how an artist you admire (or not) can do outrageous things such as imitate Hitler speeches* in the middle of a drum solo, collect swastika flags and pictures of Hitler - creating great, meaningful art is in many ways about "Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto" or "I am human, and I think nothing human is alien to me" (quote by the Roman writer Terance). To create Zeuhl you need to understand evil. I think all this suspicion seems to come from lack of imagination and not understanding creativity. 

*used to great effect on Stöah from their debut album so its not some dirty, hidden secret but a natural part of the musical drama. 

That seems like it might be a bit of a slippery slope though. Anyway, interesting take for sure. Thank you for sharing it. And thanks to all who commented on this thread. 
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 18:21
Not religious, not spiritual, don't believe in any of it.

That being said it doesn't matter what this guy supported.

Should I not listen to Richard Wagner because he was an antisemite? No. I like Ride of the Valkyries and that is that. Should I never watch Se7en or The Usual Suspects just because Kevin Spacey is in it and he went after a minor and all? No. I like those movies.

I can like music and not like the composer/musician. I don't like Itzhak Perlman and his raunchy attitude. But I still love the soundtrack to Schindler's List.

------------------

In the end it doesn't matter two craps. If you like the music, then listen to it. Any bad mood you get because of the musicians is your own fault, and not the fault of the music's.

It doesn't not matter one bit whether Vander is great, or a Nazi sympathizer (I bet 100% that he isn't though). It doesn't matter whether a person is gay, straight, bisexual, a Nazi, a Republican, a Libertarian, a Democrat, a Christian, or a Muslim.

The music isn't the person, and if you stop liking or listening to music because some writer is a nasty person, then you have only proven your musical tastes to be shallow and dependent on bias against people groups, instead of about what the music makes you feel.

Music isn't the musician. Learn to separate them. Otherwise you'll find that most music you can't listen to, because someone associated with it was a terrible person (by your subjective and biased opinion of what is or is not terrible).
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 03:58
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

That seems like it might be a bit of a slippery slope though. Anyway, interesting take for sure. Thank you for sharing it. And thanks to all who commented on this thread. 
Glad its appreciated. I'd say avoiding-or not acknowledging one's own potential for evil is the slippery slope. That is more of my personal opinion I guess, but really: I never understood why musicians/bands should be held responsible for every aspect of their art. We know that Goethe is neither Mephistofeles nor Faust... and that he never sold his soul or bought one. Just like Faust 1&2, Nosferatu, Rosemary's Baby, Moby Dick, Suspiria and the Radio Gnome Invisible Trilogy - Magma is a fictional universe. And a great, meaningful fictional universe with characters, storyline, war, peace, dark, light, good and evil. 

Edited by Saperlipopette! - August 16 2018 at 04:00
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 06:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Done research into it. Just reading CD booklets gives information about the mythology, but also from reading websites about the mythology (the albums tell a story and he draws on different mythologies and inspirations such as Egyptian mythology) and from the Kobaian-English dictionaries (prepared by fans, so I won't claim accuracy). Some of us spoke Kobaian here quite well at one time. I have forgotten most of it mostly as there is no one here, that I'm aware of, to use it with any longer -- mostly it was used to insult, confuse and threaten Dream Theater fans while praising Magma (all in good fun, I assure you). We were just asserting our geeky superiority in a very tongue-in-cheek manner. Magma iss de hundin, wurdah Dream Theater!

He chose Kobaian for the sound, and I won't say that it all means something, but many Kobaian words have meaning, such as theusz hamtaahk, which means Time of Hate.

This site goes into some of the story: http://www.furious.com/perfect/magma.html

And http://artist-shop.com/seventh/index.htm

And here's an old fan prepared dictionary: http://web.archive.org/web/20091021064935/http://geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/8366/MAGMA-KOBAIAN-dictionary.html

Some of what I said in another thread on this topic is, my little interpretation and positing (from http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111673&PN=4 ):

For those that don't know, the bad times in Kobaian mythology is Theusz Hamtaahk, the Time of Hate. I've thought that the Kobaian mythology might be an extension of what might have happened in a parallel universe if Naziism had prevailed. Despite the darkness of Nazi like totalitarianism, eventually the human, or Kobaian I might say, spirit prevailed over the darkness and the dictatorship crumbled and so we get to the time of love. It's a fantasy based on humanity that draws on history. It's quite an Orwellian story only with a more positive message, we can triumph over evil, unlike in 1984 where you imagine a boot stomping on a face for ever. Magma is ultimately uplifting, and spiritual....

The story starts off dystopian and turns Utopian.   A bit like a 1984 type totalitarian world, only referencing Naziism in particular rather than the communism that Orwell referenced, becomes more like the Chronicles of Narnia.

Which was me being rather too fanciful perhaps (but I like draw in my own references to make a fuller experience).
I believe I have read from those links all that´s about the Magma mytology (those Seventh Records sites didn´t have much of that, mostly it´s from the music of those albums as far as I noticed). There are still lots of open questions: for example I suppose album tittle Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandöh is a person, is he the Hitler like evil-person and the leader in Earth? I believe he really isn´t that spiritualist Nebehr Gudahtt. Also there are not much for Theusz Hamtaahk (first part) & Wurdah Itah, I mean what´s happening in those sections. Also, are newer albums Felicite Thösz & Sl*g Tanz some part of the story?

When reading those sites, they tell only very common parts of the mytology, it´s like your reading what´s said in the back of some book or books. I just wonder, has Vander and his bandmates ever written the whole mytology or even parts down? I remember in first album there are story put into it, but they´re not in english, from discogs I see there are some text in Magma 2, as far as I know MDK has only Kobaian lyrics. I have only Emehntehtt-Re as a vinyl, where are lyrics and in that it seems there is lots of reply, so that´s the reason why I originally thought how much Kobaian really is a language and how much it´s just great sounding words for vocals. Anyway even if the mytology isn´t anywhere as a large, solid story, it´s of course very interesting!

Edited by Mortte - August 16 2018 at 06:43
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 20:04

Glad its appreciated. I'd say avoiding-or not acknowledging one's own potential for evil is the slippery slope. That is more of my personal opinion I guess, but really: I never understood why musicians/bands should be held responsible for every aspect of their art. We know that Goethe is neither Mephistofeles nor Faust... and that he never sold his soul or bought one. Just like Faust 1&2, Nosferatu, Rosemary's Baby, Moby Dick, Suspiria and the Radio Gnome Invisible Trilogy - Magma is a fictional universe. And a great, meaningful fictional universe with characters, storyline, war, peace, dark, light, good and evil.

Well I might acknowledge my potential for evil, but I'm not going to fully embrace it and start collecting swastikas and trying to imitate Hitler or anything. I think that would be taking it too far. Like I said before though, I'm going to go with what Logan said and just give the man the benefit of the doubt for now and accept that he was young then(we all make some mistakes when we're younger) and probably isn't that way now. 

Plus I meditated to MDK again today and I can't believe how well that album works. Right now I literally know of no better album. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 01:29

Well I might acknowledge my potential for evil, but I'm not going to fully embrace it and start collecting swastikas and trying to imitate Hitler or anything. I think that would be taking it too far. Like I said before though, I'm going to go with what Logan said and just give the man the benefit of the doubt for now and accept that he was young then(we all make some mistakes when we're younger) and probably isn't that way now. 
I've made my point I'm sure. 

-But here we have this eccentric artist whose greatest idol is John Coltrane (he literally worships/worshipped him), whose band has been multiethnic from the start and whose ex-wife is jewish. Cut him some slack and stop spreading these rumours that when out there on the internet - is almost impossible to defend oneself from. He is not a nazi - never was. Come on! Thinking he is you got to pretend to be more stupid than you are. Magma's estehetics and music flirts with totalitarian imagery... from their cultlike robes, logos, fonts and general bombast. Sometimes they sound like war. Its intentional of course. Totalitarian imagery is both repulsive and fascinating to many (including myself). Whether communist, Nazi or something else it has seduced hundreds of millions of people throughout history... and still does. Magma's very debut is about the destruction of planet earth and this group of people fleeing from it to live on planet Kobaïa - because man has made earth uninhabitable. Its a warning. Imo Collecting swastikas etc... isn't a mistake you so generously need to forgive the artist as a young man. Because the young artist hasn't done anything wrong. People should ask Vander to forgive them instead. 

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 01:50
Argh! This crap again move on 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 02:57
Just a few thoughts on this matter:
For me, music is something to listen to and not to meditate on. But that's just me. Anyway, I don't think that the work of Christian Vander should be placed in a political context, not even when the Orffian choirs and some Kobaïan vocals invoke associations with interbellum-German. And what to think about the marching hammers in The Wall? No one blamed Roger Waters for having Nazi sympathies. And justly, for the antisemitism and involvement in the BDS-movement, which earned him a fouth place in a top 10 by the Simon Wiesenthal Center some years ago, date from a later period. Yet his latest album found an appropriate place in my top 20 of 2017.

Edited by someone_else - August 17 2018 at 02:58
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 15:36
Part of an interview to Christian Vander translated by Stella:

The story of these people leaving Earth for a better place, another planet, is notfinished. Because as [early Magma bassist] Laurent Thibault said, Kobaïa is a planet… Kobaïa is like Earth, but without – how do you say – the stupid, the dumb people. Instead it had people with something in mind, and who wanted to work for a better place. They wanted to make this place a better place, but they had to do it on another planet. Because it looks like it’s impossible to do that on Earth. We could verify this, you know?

So, it’s not science fiction. You see what I mean? It’s not about another planet with other people already living there. It’s just about escaping from here, and there are many different ways to escape. But this is one of the ways, trying to create another planet somewhere. It doesn’t have to be in space.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 16:22

I've made my point I'm sure. 

-But here we have this eccentric artist whose greatest idol is John Coltrane (he literally worships/worshipped him), whose band has been multiethnic from the start and whose ex-wife is jewish. Cut him some slack and stop spreading these rumours that when out there on the internet - is almost impossible to defend oneself from. He is not a nazi - never was. Come on! Thinking he is you got to pretend to be more stupid than you are. Magma's estehetics and music flirts with totalitarian imagery... from their cultlike robes, logos, fonts and general bombast. Sometimes they sound like war. Its intentional of course. Totalitarian imagery is both repulsive and fascinating to many (including myself). Whether communist, Nazi or something else it has seduced hundreds of millions of people throughout history... and still does. Magma's very debut is about the destruction of planet earth and this group of people fleeing from it to live on planet Kobaïa - because man has made earth uninhabitable. Its a warning. Imo Collecting swastikas etc... isn't a mistake you so generously need to forgive the artist as a young man. Because the young artist hasn't done anything wrong. People should ask Vander to forgive them instead. 

Wow, chill man. Nowhere did I say that he is/was. I've said that he seems like a cool guy and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt as far as collecting swastikas and whatever when he was younger. 

Wow, chill man. Nowhere did I say that he is/was. I've said that he seems like a cool guy and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt as far as collecting swastikas and whatever when he was younger. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 16:23
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Part of an interview to Christian Vander translated by Stella:

The story of these people leaving Earth for a better place, another planet, is notfinished. Because as [early Magma bassist] Laurent Thibault said, Kobaïa is a planet… Kobaïa is like Earth, but without – how do you say – the stupid, the dumb people. Instead it had people with something in mind, and who wanted to work for a better place. They wanted to make this place a better place, but they had to do it on another planet. Because it looks like it’s impossible to do that on Earth. We could verify this, you know?

So, it’s not science fiction. You see what I mean? It’s not about another planet with other people already living there. It’s just about escaping from here, and there are many different ways to escape. But this is one of the ways, trying to create another planet somewhere. It doesn’t have to be in space.

Good read. Thank you. 
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 17:08
You realize that still qualifies as science fiction right? This is a speculative fiction about a future people, using spaceflight to go to another planet, and start a civilization there.

That is literally science fiction in every sense.

BTW:

Collecting things doesn't make you a Nazi. I have my own collection of Nazi coinage, paper money, and a few other items (even a Luger). I detest Nazism though. I just keep the stuff for the historical importance.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 23:13
^I think the main point in that Vander´s saying is that the main thing in Magma mytology isn´t that fictive story, but spirituality. I think he wants to tell in Magma-mytology, that people should search good and try to make their life better. And place to make that could be just one´s head.

Also, I really understand Vander´s and his bandmates thoughts of that time. Hippies have just tried love revolution, but the it ended into violence in the end of sixties. So I think they thought that time, it would not succeed in the whole Earth at least that time, the whole Earth just weren´t ready to it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 13:49

Well when you quote me in caps lock it doesn't look like I'm chill - which I am. However I wouldn't be chilling' if people on the internet kept digging up nazi rumours about me based on next to nothing. This is not the first time you've been discussing this on these boards. Do you understand how much such things can hurt both a career and a person? Even when untrue they stick.

Edit: but I didn't mean you as in just you but more as a - "all of you" when I wrote: Thinking he is you got to pretend to be more stupid than you are - so my intention was "less aggressively" towards you specifically. But I am annoyed by this on Monsieur Vander's behalf for sure.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - August 18 2018 at 14:31
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 15:33
^ I'm sure you'll get over it. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 15:54

Its not about me or me getting over it though - 'cause nobody knows about my huge swastika-collection (A JOKE). I only wish "you" understood... I mean like really understood that this can do harm to an artist who doesn't deserve it.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 16:03

Its not about me or me getting over it though - 'cause nobody knows about my huge swastika-collection (A JOKE). I only wish "you" understood... I mean like really understood that this can do harm to an artist who doesn't deserve it.

Wow. Ok I'll humor you, how exactly am I doing 'harm' to this man? I haven't put anything out there that wasn't already there. And I've even said that the evidence isn't enough and I'm giving the guy the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Edited by YESESIS - August 23 2018 at 16:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 16:23
^Of course a nazi-suspicion do harm. Its pretty much the most damaging label of all to be associated with - and this post of yours viewed 2200 times logically adds harm. And if you "know" that you shouldn't have started the thread in the first place there must be a reason for it. The positive thing is that practically every contributor here has defended him of laughed at the accusation.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 16:27

Edited by YESESIS - August 27 2018 at 17:48
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>