Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 16:45
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^Of course a nazi-suspicion do harm. Its pretty much the most damaging label of all to be associated with - and this post of yours viewed 2200 times logically adds harm. And if you "know" that you shouldn't have started the thread in the first place there must be a reason for it. The positive thing is that practically every contributor here has defended him or laughed at the accusation.

I think you need to have your diaper changed. 
I guess language barriers prevents me from arguing on this level of sophistication so you win. Congratulations! 
Canterburian View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canterburian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 20:17
Found this thread googling for news on the topic.

The most serious accusations I know about are from ex-keyboarder Manu Borghi who speaks of Vander's admiraton for Hitler: http://kohntarkosz.blogspot.com/2009/11/some-words-about-recent-controversy.html?showComment=1257974246578#c8249785447085633405

There's also an old interview in which Vander called Indians and Africans degenerates: http://kohntarkosz.blogspot.com/2009/11/some-words-about-recent-controversy.html?showComment=1258156071667#c1789000702300080936

Those were linked from the Wikipedia article mentioned above, but removed later on.

Sad thing is, apparently the band never really distanced themselves from Nazi ideology, just complained about the accusations. And as much as I love their music and would love to love it again, that's not enough for me
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 20:44
^ and one of those replies doubts its validity:

I really doubt the validity of this Emmanuel Borghi. I had a personal dealing with him in which he seemed a bit crazy. I did not get a "spiritual" feeling from him. I did get a very good sense from Stella and Christian when I met them. I don't see how Stella could stay with someone for so long who had some pretty crazy ideas about Hitler.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 22:00
^ I don't know man...   all I had to say was a word.. yes.. and Stella was mine.  She wanted me... I saw it in her eyes. That look a woman has when needs some action and excitement in her life.  

Perhaps it was the Hitler thing that nearly drove her to me... or I was just hotter than hell that night.. but we had that spark.. that unspoken connection umm hmmm yes sir.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 06:08
^ Stella! Do behave already. One little talk about Hitler and you can't control youself! Big smile

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 09:28
you've met her...  and you blame me for not being able to control myself? hah... meeting her and the circumstances we met is one of my favorite war stories.  It was right out of sappy cheesy Lifetime movie... right up to the point in the plot where I severed our out of body connection and broken our deep eye contact and looked over and saw Raff stuffing a sandwich in her mouth at our table at that exact moment completely oblivious  that Stella was trying to steal her husband 

and I was filled with such love for her and turned away and returned to Raff.. who knows where that meeting over the desert table might have led us hahaha.

Edited by micky - September 15 2018 at 09:30
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 09:35
I wasn't aware that women craved excitement such as that of a member of progressive rock database.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 09:38
it's all about sex appeal man.. 

some have it.. some don't hahah
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 14:05
Delusional, definition thereof.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 11:12
hahahaha..   a curse Ian...  deification thereof. I used to think being ohjectified and lusted after was cool, and it was back in the day, these days it freaks me out.  Old age has tamed the monster finally I suppose.

Just the other week it was right out of a diet coke commerical I was out digging a trench in that 105 degree heat shirt off and caught a group of women watching me and talking and giggling amongst themselves.  I looked up and one of the licked her lips at me.

yeah.. it is a curse man..  I am not just a body and a killer ass..  I have a mind, soul and feelings hahaha
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2019 at 12:15
News - 

Magma fired their bassist (Philippe Bussonnet), their keyboard player (Jérome Martineau-Ricotti), and their vibes player (Benoit Alziary) last week.

Replaced by Simon Goubert, Jannick Top's son and the third new member is a keyboard player named Thierry Eliez
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hieronymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2019 at 23:19
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

News - 

Magma fired their bassist (Philippe Bussonnet), their keyboard player (Jérome Martineau-Ricotti), and their vibes player (Benoit Alziary) last week.

Replaced by Simon Goubert, Jannick Top's son and the third new member is a keyboard player named Thierry Eliez

Wow - were they really fired? Not a simple mutual parting of ways?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2019 at 01:06
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

News - 

Wow...that's very unfortunate. I do have a soft spot for Top, but Bubu was probably the best bassist Magma has ever had. 

Interesting to see how this will effect Magma's sound, assuming of course they continue to produce new work. I also hope Bubu starts/joins another band that releases stuff so this top notch playing doesn't sink into the ether. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Tendiwa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tendiwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2020 at 04:09
I had encountered Zeuhl a few times in my internet searching, and I had listened to some Magma on Youtube before but it never really clicked until November last year. I listened to MDK and I was blown away. Two months later I had downloaded pretty much all of their albums. I'm baffled that Magma hardly ever gets mentioned along with the other big prog bands from the 70s.

Magma plays not too far from where I live in October and I have tickets! I have very high expectations.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2020 at 07:41
Originally posted by Tendiwa Tendiwa wrote:

I had encountered Zeuhl a few times in my internet searching, and I had listened to some Magma on Youtube before but it never really clicked until November last year. I listened to MDK and I was blown away. Two months later I had downloaded pretty much all of their albums. I'm baffled that Magma hardly ever gets mentioned along with the other big prog bands from the 70s.

Magma plays not too far from where I live in October and I have tickets! I have very high expectations.
Do you know Magma has made album "the Unnamables" under name Univeria Zekt? Itīs not long ago I found it although listened Magma much longer. Itīs also really great, if you like their two first albums, you will like that one too!
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2020 at 08:22
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Do you know Magma has made album "the Unnamables" under name Univeria Zekt? Itīs not long ago I found it although listened Magma much longer. Itīs also really great, if you like their two first albums, you will like that one too!
It's worth checking out for sure if you dig Magma, but FWIW I like the first two Magma albums and still didn't get a lot out of Univeria Zekt.

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Tendiwa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tendiwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2020 at 10:29

I have heard of it, but I haven't listened to it yet. Especially Magma's first album is not among my favourites, but nonetheless I will give the Univeria Zekt album a try soon!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2020 at 23:04

I have heard of it, but I haven't listened to it yet. Especially Magma's first album is not among my favourites, but nonetheless I will give the Univeria Zekt album a try soon!
If you donīt like first Magma (my fav album of theirs) itīs possible you donīt like that much also the Unnamables. Itīs quite the same direction as those two first albums, but maybe go little more into jazzrock of that time.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 05:31
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

It's worth checking out for sure if you dig Magma, but FWIW I like the first two Magma albums and still didn't get a lot out of Univeria Zekt.

Maybe you should listen it again. I am just listening it (there is some time from my last listening and I just wonder did I remember wrong) and when knowing you melodic Finnish prog friend, itīs odd if you donīt get anything from it. Partly it really is into more ordinary jazzrock, but there are also same kind of great melodies as in first album.
Tendiwa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tendiwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 09:22
I have finally listened to The Unnamables. Fun album!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>