Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 12:21
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Quote I think there's a big difference between using symbols of oppression to
make an artistic or fictional point versus using those symbols because
they actually represent your own ideology.
True and fair enough, but there's a third category in which such symbols may be used out of lack of consideration making a "point" that wouldn't have required them and could have been better transported without, even though they still don't represent one's own ideology.
And maybe a fourth category in which there's a probably somewhat irrational fascination on show with these symbols and what they represent, without explicitly either supporting the ideology or distancing oneself from it. This is easily misinterpreted, and because it involves an element of provocation, the artist may be fine with that, at least for the moment. (David Bowie comes to mind.)
Something like Lemmy's collection of Nazi memorabilia and fondness for wearing the Iron Cross falls into category four I guess. I am 100% certain that he was not a Nazi sympathiser or anything similar. He just thought their stuff looked cool. Much as I loved Lemmy that is actually pretty crass, but it didn't make him an evil person, just one with lamentably little tact and good taste. It went hand in hand I guess with his quite sincere inability to give a damn what anyone else thought of him, which in other contexts could be one of his most endearing qualities.

I'm not suggesting Vander is of this type, by the way.

Edited by Mascodagama - August 13 2018 at 12:22
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 15:07
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

And maybe a fourth category in which there's a probably somewhat irrational fascination on show with these symbols and what they represent, without explicitly either supporting the ideology or distancing oneself from it.

This is the category of people who collect military memorabilia, though I wouldn't necessarily call it "irrational".  I think this is where Lemmy fell and it's well known that Charlie Watts is a US civil war collector...I don't think that automatically makes Lemmy a nazi or Charlie a racist Wink

I consider myself a WWII European theater history buff, but have never collected any memorabilia.  To me, those physical objects have an energy and especially collecting axis memorabilia that was so connected with evil is just not a great idea...obviously, Lemmy felt otherwise LOL

Edited by The.Crimson.King - August 13 2018 at 15:08
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 15:12
^ Mind you, there are those who make Lemmy look like an amateur:

The Man Who Sleeps In Hitler's Bed

I found this morbidly fascinating. And morbid is the word I think, Wheatcroft seems like a very sad individual.

Edited by Mascodagama - August 13 2018 at 15:15
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 17:18
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

^ Mind you, there are those who make Lemmy look like an amateur:

The Man Who Sleeps In Hitler's Bed

I found this morbidly fascinating. And morbid is the word I think, Wheatcroft seems like a very sad individual.

Holy Moly.  Talk about turning your home into a real life haunted house.  SS helmets and autographed copies of Mein Kampf along with Hitler and Goering's beds are one thing, but by far his creepiest pieces are the actual iron work from the officers gates at Buchenwald and a replica of the Auschwitz "Arbeit Macht Frei" gate...yuck.  Why in the world would anyone want to have objects that witnessed or represented the horror of the camps in their home???  Morbid is right.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 20:23
Yeah I'm thinking Mr. Vander's not a bad guy at this point. I've been listening to some Magma again and really enjoying it. I even meditated to MDK today(first time in several months) and man that felt good.

Also thank you to everyone who gave suggestions of other music that might be good for meditation. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 01:02
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I think that he had some fascination with Nazism, and it inspired The Time of Hate era of his Kobaian mythology(as mentioned, the debut with the non-Buddhist swastikas shows a scene of horror, with an eagle's talon swooping over terrified people, which evokes the symbol of the Nazi party. I also think that the Time of Love era of his mythology is post Nazism when Fascism has been dispensed with. One could interpret that in various ways, it could be akin to the Marxist revolution, a dictatorship of the proletariat before such a state was dismantled for a Utopian communist society, so he felt that a Time of Hate was a necessary precursor to a Time of Love, or it could be that he was just presenting an allegorical dystopia, a la 1984, that revolted him, but he presented a happy ending unlike the picture of the future being a boot stamping on a face forever. I would find it strange that Vander would do an over-the-top Hitler impersonation that sounds like parody in "Stoah" if he respected or supported the man.
Because tittle of this thread is Magma, I want to ask how aware you are the mytologies in it? Because I havent found much information about it, for example as far as I know lyrics of the albums havent translated into any other language. I have read Vander saying in some interview Kobaian isnt really a language, more hes thinking how that language sounds.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 05:20
Done research into it. Just reading CD booklets gives information about the mythology, but also from reading websites about the mythology (the albums tell a story and he draws on different mythologies and inspirations such as Egyptian mythology) and from the Kobaian-English dictionaries (prepared by fans, so I won't claim accuracy). Some of us spoke Kobaian here quite well at one time. I have forgotten most of it mostly as there is no one here, that I'm aware of, to use it with any longer -- mostly it was used to insult, confuse and threaten Dream Theater fans while praising Magma (all in good fun, I assure you). We were just asserting our geeky superiority in a very tongue-in-cheek manner. Magma iss de hundin, wurdah Dream Theater!

He chose Kobaian for the sound, and I won't say that it all means something, but many Kobaian words have meaning, such as theusz hamtaahk, which means Time of Hate.

This site goes into some of the story: http://www.furious.com/perfect/magma.html

And http://artist-shop.com/seventh/index.htm

And here's an old fan prepared dictionary: http://web.archive.org/web/20091021064935/http://geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/8366/MAGMA-KOBAIAN-dictionary.html

Some of what I said in another thread on this topic is, my little interpretation and positing (from http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111673&PN=4 ):

For those that don't know, the bad times in Kobaian mythology is Theusz Hamtaahk, the Time of Hate. I've thought that the Kobaian mythology might be an extension of what might have happened in a parallel universe if Naziism had prevailed. Despite the darkness of Nazi like totalitarianism, eventually the human, or Kobaian I might say, spirit prevailed over the darkness and the dictatorship crumbled and so we get to the time of love. It's a fantasy based on humanity that draws on history. It's quite an Orwellian story only with a more positive message, we can triumph over evil, unlike in 1984 where you imagine a boot stomping on a face for ever. Magma is ultimately uplifting, and spiritual....

The story starts off dystopian and turns Utopian.   A bit like a 1984 type totalitarian world, only referencing Naziism in particular rather than the communism that Orwell referenced, becomes more like the Chronicles of Narnia.

Which was me being rather too fanciful perhaps (but I like draw in my own references to make a fuller experience).

Edited by Logan - August 14 2018 at 05:41
Just a fanboy passin' through.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 06:07
Hard to know the truth of a man. Maybe the young and stupid Christian still lives in the old and wise mister Vander ? Who knows ? What i'm pretty sure of is that music always combines positive and negative energies. Without one of them, it suffocates quickly.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 06:28
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Done research into it. Just reading CD booklets gives information about the mythology, but also from reading websites about the mythology (the albums tell a story and he draws on different mythologies and inspirations such as Egyptian mythology) and from the Kobaian-English dictionaries (prepared by fans, so I won't claim accuracy). Some of us spoke Kobaian here quite well at one time. I have forgotten most of it mostly as there is no one here, that I'm aware of, to use it with any longer -- mostly it was used to insult, confuse and threaten Dream Theater fans while praising Magma (all in good fun, I assure you). We were just asserting our geeky superiority in a very tongue-in-cheek manner. Magma iss de hundin, wurdah Dream Theater!

He chose Kobaian for the sound, and I won't say that it all means something, but many Kobaian words have meaning, such as theusz hamtaahk, which means Time of Hate.

This site goes into some of the story: http://www.furious.com/perfect/magma.html

And http://artist-shop.com/seventh/index.htm

And here's an old fan prepared dictionary: http://web.archive.org/web/20091021064935/http://geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/8366/MAGMA-KOBAIAN-dictionary.html

Some of what I said in another thread on this topic is, my little interpretation and positing (from http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111673&PN=4 ):

For those that don't know, the bad times in Kobaian mythology is Theusz Hamtaahk, the Time of Hate. I've thought that the Kobaian mythology might be an extension of what might have happened in a parallel universe if Naziism had prevailed. Despite the darkness of Nazi like totalitarianism, eventually the human, or Kobaian I might say, spirit prevailed over the darkness and the dictatorship crumbled and so we get to the time of love. It's a fantasy based on humanity that draws on history. It's quite an Orwellian story only with a more positive message, we can triumph over evil, unlike in 1984 where you imagine a boot stomping on a face for ever. Magma is ultimately uplifting, and spiritual....

The story starts off dystopian and turns Utopian.   A bit like a 1984 type totalitarian world, only referencing Naziism in particular rather than the communism that Orwell referenced, becomes more like the Chronicles of Narnia.

Which was me being rather too fanciful perhaps (but I like draw in my own references to make a fuller experience).
Thanx a lot for those links, I am really going to read them all, when have more time! Before I have just read what´s in Magma´s wikipedia sites and it´s not a lot (for example from Theusz Hamtaahk-trilogie there are just English names of the parts, not the story at all).

Edited by Mortte - August 14 2018 at 06:38
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 06:33
^ No problem.

^^ Music without contrast commonly sounds very flat to me.

While they brought their own energies into the music, we bring our own energies into the music listening experience. Everyone's experience is quite different, and we bring in our own interpretations, associations and biases (hermeneutics and audience reception aesthetics).

Edited by Logan - August 14 2018 at 06:34
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 06:37
^BTW I think I haven´t recommended you Finnish band Absoluuttinen Nollapiste albums Pisara & Lammas 1-2. It´s also including a story, that have similarities to Magma-story. Music is not fully Magma-style, but anyway I really love those albums! I made reviews from them to progarchives, where I tell the story very simple way, if it interest you and you want to ask some clarifications from it, don´t hesitate to ask.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 06:44
Thanks, Mortte, I will be sure to look into Absoluuttinen Nollapiste.

For the jazzers, this was recommended to me by Saperlipopette ages ago, Gonda Sextet has a Magma air about it:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLf-5fIRvt4.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 07:08
Doing so much live sound work and occasional studio recordings with everyone from beat poets to British Heavy meatal bands, I've come to understand that there is a distinction between the artist and his or her art. Surprisingly, I like the music if many the artists that I've worked with but wouldn't give a nickel for personality of many of the artists. Remember, artists are just people with the same hang ups and quirks that you and I have. Please meditate on that.

Edited by SteveG - August 14 2018 at 07:11
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 07:58
I don't care if he's the anti-Christ, i love the music. Likewise if JC came down and made an album i didn't like, i wouldn't listen to it. Having said that i think it's a bunch of unsubstantiated nonsense. ANYONE can claim ANYTHING and if you didn't hear him utter the words out of his own mouth then i'd disregard. Probably a Magma hater who made that.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 08:11
Heck, I sure would, at least once, even if it was a country western rap album by DJ JC called "Ridin' my Truck out of Heaven" or "Saints in the Hood".
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 09:11
;)

Edited by Barbu - August 15 2018 at 08:21
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 20:51
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I don't care if he's the anti-Christ, i love the music. Likewise if JC came down and made an album i didn't like, i wouldn't listen to it. Having said that i think it's a bunch of unsubstantiated nonsense. ANYONE can claim ANYTHING and if you didn't hear him utter the words out of his own mouth then i'd disregard. Probably a Magma hater who made that.

Well it was this.. you can make up your own mind. 

The fourth paragraph under What were the primary assets Giorgio gave to the acts he was involved with?

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 21:09
^ Yeah, i've read similar things. Went through the whole head scratching pondering. I just haven't found a lot of credible evidence. Of course i can't prove it either way. I sure hope he's not a horrible person but he's certainly a brilliant musician. I think his wife is Jewish, no?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 22:04
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ Yeah, i've read similar things. Went through the whole head scratching pondering. I just haven't found a lot of credible evidence. Of course i can't prove it either way. I sure hope he's not a horrible person but he's certainly a brilliant musician. I think his wife is Jewish, no?

From what I understand yeah. And I agree with you at this point that there's just not enough evidence. And like Logan said before, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt here. Now if he came out tomorrow and announced that he is a Nazi supporter, then I would be done meditating to them. I'd hate that because man is MDK good. Like I'm obviously not going to meditate to any Opeth anytime soon. 

People laugh and make fun, and I understand that but meditation is my spiritual time to go deep within and sometimes get real clarity about things. Or at least get some much needed healing relaxation. 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 01:04
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Well it was this.. you can make up your own mind. 

The fourth paragraph under What were the primary assets Giorgio gave to the acts he was involved with?
To me its like using Nazi imagery as other bands or artists would imitate satan and use satanic images. Magma is an all inclusive gesamtkunstwerk. Whenever one fails to understand how an artist you admire (or not) can do outrageous things such as imitate Hitler speeches* in the middle of a drum solo, collect swastika flags and pictures of Hitler - creating great, meaningful art is in many ways about "Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto" or "I am human, and I think nothing human is alien to me" (quote by the Roman writer Terance). To create Zeuhl you need to understand evil. I think all this suspicion seems to come from lack of imagination and not understanding creativity. 

*used to great effect on Stöah from their debut album so its not some dirty, hidden secret but a natural part of the musical drama. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>