Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B.J Wilson - Why is there so little praise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B.J Wilson - Why is there so little praise
    Posted: August 12 2018 at 12:09
To me B.J Wilson is the seacret weapon of Procol Harum, its most sacred ingredience and element that you desire to pay attention to. Hes drumming is so floating and also a bit crazy, hes strikes me as a similae kind of drummer as Kieth Moon, a drummer whom was unrestrained and had a very good sense of placement and underneath good natural tallent.

I can understand the nickname "the Octopus in a Tub" cause he sat very low, but also hes armes were swirling chaos with presision. One of few rock drummers with the floating flair of a jazz drummer. Also a drummer as like Moon, an orchestrator and not obly just a time-keeper.

A fun fact is that he is the drummer of Rocky Horror Picture Show. I founs that to be a cool trivia.

I hope more drummer magazines and netsites have more focus on hem, also music forums in general ought to pay respect to the secret weapon to Procols magic.

Edited by Icarium - August 12 2018 at 12:51
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 12:43
Procol's secret weapon indeed!  BJ's drum solo starts around the 1:55 mark Wink

{Edited to fix embed -L}

Edited by Logan - August 14 2018 at 08:21
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 12:50
Have your heard Rocky Horror Picture Show album
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 16:21
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Have your heard Rocky Horror Picture Show album

Oh ya, saw the film a few times...had no idea that was BJ though.  Next time I'll pay some attention to the drums instead of my wife dressed as Magenta Evil Smile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 00:55
B.J. is not my biggest favourite drummers, but I have always really liked heīs way of playing. Essential part of Procol sound.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 03:24
Indeed, a great drummer and in some ways, Procol's best kept secret, though BJW was often asked to join other groups

Edited by Sean Trane - August 13 2018 at 03:26
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 04:24
Wilson was an extremely inventive and talented drummer that never got the praise simply because he was not in a straight up rock band like the Who. Procol Harum was always considered an arty, classically based progressive band and the public never looked upon them as virtuoso players. Procol was never as popular as a band like the Who, and never got the same exposure. And, believe me, Wilson was almost as crazy as Keith Moon at times as Moon was a close friend of Wilson. (Now, what does that tell you?)

Edited by SteveG - August 13 2018 at 04:25
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 06:04
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Wilson was an extremely inventive and talented drummer that never got the praise simply because he was not in a straight up rock band like the Who. Procol Harum was always considered an arty, classically based progressive band and the public never looked upon them as virtuoso players. Procol was never as popular as a band like the Who, and never got the same exposure. And, believe me, Wilson was almost as crazy as Keith Moon at times as Moon was a close friend of Wilson. (Now, what does that tell you?)
both their candles blew out too soon.   

Edited by Icarium - August 13 2018 at 06:06
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 06:19
I think hes best drumling is on Broken Barricades
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 06:42

Havenīt paid attention to his drumming in that album, because I have listened it least because I think itīs their weakest seventies album. Well, I think I will listen this week both Broken & Something Magic.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 09:40
BJ's best drumming, imo, was on Broken Barricades, Procol's 9th and Live: In Concert With The (something) Symphony being his best.

Edited by SteveG - August 13 2018 at 09:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 11:10
For my favorite BJ - shoot, my fave PH song ever, I'd go with "Still There'll Be More".  This live version has the great German TV special Gary Brooker spoken intro...

"Mr Wilson...Herr Wilson" Wink  

Edited by Logan - August 14 2018 at 08:24
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 17:31
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

B.J. is not my biggest favourite drummers, but I have always really liked heīs way of playing. Essential part of Procol sound.
Exactly my thoughts.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 05:44

Havenīt paid attention to his drumming in that album, because I have listened it least because I think itīs their weakest seventies album. Well, I think I will listen this week both Broken & Something Magic.
on Broken Barricades is Luskus Delph one of Procols strongest songs, among their most delicate conpositions
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 06:42

on Broken Barricades is Luskus Delph one of Procols strongest songs, among their most delicate conpositions
I really love the tittle song, heard it before I heard the whole album, so I expected more from the whole album. But have to listen it soon again. On the other hand Something Magic was much better than I expected (got really bad reviews).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 09:50
Broken Barricades is definitely the weakest album of the Trower line-up for me (maybe because he knew he was leaving his heart wasn't in it?)...that said, it does have some moments.  Luskus Delph is nice and Simple Sister a powerful tune, but I prefer Playmate of the Mouth.  Getting back to BJ, I think Home is my fave album of his Procol work. 

Just read on BJ's wiki page that he turned down an offer from Page & Plant to join Led Zep so Bonham got the spot instead.  Now that would have been an interesting alternative universe in rock history Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - August 14 2018 at 09:53
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 11:14
^ That tale is interesting since I have read in many places that Plant brought Bonham into the band and that was part of the deal from the beginning. The story goes that Page and Jones went to hear Plant in the country where he was in  a band and they asked him to try out and that Bonham was asked to join at the same time because they both played in Band of Joy.
So then maybe Wilson was asked even before they went to hear Plant back when they were asking Reid to sing...?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 11:45
Page was very high on Wilson, but Wilson never really considered joining the nascent Zep. Procol was an established and successful group.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 12:25
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^ That tale is interesting since I have read in many places that Plant brought Bonham into the band and that was part of the deal from the beginning. The story goes that Page and Jones went to hear Plant in the country where he was in  a band and they asked him to try out and that Bonham was asked to join at the same time because they both played in Band of Joy.

That's the way I've always heard the story too...maybe the wiki page is wrong and it was just Page or maybe Page & Jones that invited BJ to join before Plant/Bonham entered the picture?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 12:35
The story goes, if you believe it(!) is that Wilson said no before Plant suggested Bonham to Page. Or something like that. Or something completely different, perhaps!

Edited by SteveG - August 14 2018 at 12:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>