Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where is the existing band database?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where is the existing band database?
    Posted: August 14 2018 at 09:34
I've read the guidelines for suggesting new bands for the database, but I can't find where the database is! I've hit the home button and read down the full list of forums, and this seems to be the only forum that deals with the issue.

Shouldn't there be a 'sticky' at the top with the database in it?

I'm probably being n00b st00pid here as no-one else has asked this, but perhaps you can help this particular bear of small brain?
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 10:03
You're just overthinking it, the whole website is built on top of a database. There is technical difference but to everyone around these parts 'adding a new band to the site' and 'adding a band to the database' is the same thing.

If you wanna suggest a band just make a detailed thread about them in this subforum and collaborators will check them out.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 10:49
This reminds me a bit of scenes from The IT Crowd about the internet.

Yes, the database is just a collection of electronic data that is organised and can be accessed, uploaded and updated in various ways. Only people with 5 stars here (Special Collaborators...) can can add bands to the database, but any registered user can suggest bands in the Suggest New Bands and Artists forum. We have teams to evaluate the suggestions.

Edited by Logan - August 14 2018 at 10:53
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 10:56
There is no way to view the entire database that I know of, but any practical problem that this poses is solved simply by using the search function.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 11:05
Shhh! The first rule of database is don't talk about database
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 12:05
Just go to the main page www.progarchives.com (not the forums) you'll see an alphabet listed near the top next to the word Artists:. Click on any letter and you'll see all the bands in the database that start with that letter.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 14:49
Looks like I rather badly misunderstood the opening post, been one of those days.

Edited by Logan - August 14 2018 at 14:51
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 09:33
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Just go to the main page www.progarchives.com (not the forums) you'll see an alphabet listed near the top next to the word Artists:. Click on any letter and you'll see all the bands in the database that start with that letter.
OMG. I didn't even know that page existed!! It looks completely different to the forums. How can I get there again without saving that link? For me, the only 'Home' button is the 'Forum Home' button which is the root directory top left of my screen.

Until now, I'd thought that Prog Archives was the forums and nothing else!
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 10:28
Tiddk - if you click or tap on the ProgArchives logo at the top of the forum page it takes you straight to the main ProgArchives database.

Don't worry I couldn't figure out how you get there from the forum when I first started either, so you're not alone and it's not obvious to a newbie.
Songs cast a light on you
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 15:02
Hug

Edited by Rivertree - August 16 2018 at 03:58

TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 03:19
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Tiddk - if you click or tap on the ProgArchives logo at the top of the forum page it takes you straight to the main ProgArchives database.

Don't worry I couldn't figure out how you get there from the forum when I first started either, so you're not alone and it's not obvious to a newbie.
Thanks - yes that works for me.

New question - when I click the logo and go to the main Home page, it's asking me to login. Yet I'm already logged in! which I can see if I 'go back' to the forum pages. What's going on there?
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 06:14
^That part really is unintuitive.

Basically, the site where you browse bands and this forum are things that you need to log in separately, and being logged into one doesn't affect the other. So just use the same username and password to log into the site as well, you only need to do that if you want to review and add albums, you don't need to be logged in to browse everything.
 Post Reply Post Reply