Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best 90s Prog Metal, Round 1.4: 1993

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these 1993 prog metal albums do you think is the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [4.35%]
6 [26.09%]
3 [13.04%]
5 [21.74%]
8 [34.78%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 90s Prog Metal, Round 1.4: 1993
    Posted: August 14 2018 at 20:53
Well, I've finally gotten around to doing the fourth one of these. Kind of wanted to wait for the 1991 poll to finish, and finally, after the poll stalling at a tie for over a week, Man With Hat has broken the silence and cast the determining vote in favour of Fates Warning's Parallels. As for 1992, I'm sure no one is surprised that Images and Words won that poll in a landslide. Now we move onto 1993. If you want to know what this is about, here is the description:

I'm running this series of polls on the Metal Amino app about the best prog metal albums of the 90s, and I thought it would be interesting to compare the results between there and here, and how the votes turn out differently depending on whether it's coming from a metal stance or a prog stance. Round 1 will go decade by decade until 1999, and then depending on how the results turn out, round 2 will either be a semi-final with the winner of each year, or I'll take the top 2 from each year and do some sort of round robin thing. I don't know. The poll stays open and until it comes to a natural resting point; I'll do the next poll when the votes slow to a trickle and the results are relatively static. If this doesn't happen, or if the results stay super close for a few days, I'll decide on an ending time. Have fun.

UPDATE: It's been tied at 5-5 for a while so if the tie doesn't break by tomorrow morning (about 16 hours for me), I'll make a run-off poll.

Edited by tempest_77 - August 20 2018 at 19:37
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 01:15
I've got Gorguts The Erosion of Sanity... but I guess its mainly tech-death and not all that proggy (which is why I choose it). 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 02:46
Savatage out of these
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 04:36
Individual , my fav progressive death metal album ever, Savatage clise behind
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 08:38
This year is a bit of a letdown after the likes of Images and Words and Parallels

I'll cast the first vote for masters of Technical Metal, Cynic.  
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 14:33
Cynic 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 03:14
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I've got Gorguts The Erosion of Sanity... but I guess its mainly tech-death and not all that proggy (which is why I choose it). 

This is the correct answer. Best metal album of 1993 for me. I'm amazed ITP isn't getting more votes here; VOIVOD is incredibly overrated IMHO!

No PESTILENCE "Spheres"?!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 05:12
VOIVOD!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 05:21
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

This is the correct answer. Best metal album of 1993 for me. I'm amazed ITP isn't getting more votes here; VOIVOD is incredibly overrated IMHO!

Voivod overrated? How? 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 07:52
Savatage for me, easily. Then Voivod.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 13:46
Cynic out of these, although, just going by bands on this site, that Demilich album Nespithe takes the cake...just insane. Also prefer My Dying Bride's Turn Loose the Swans over the options.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 16:42
Voted for Cynic. I'll give a mention to the underrated Mind Over Four's Half Way Down, which only has 5 ratings on this site. 
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 17:30
Savatage followed by Cynic
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 20:30
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Voted for Cynic. I'll give a mention to the underrated Mind Over Four's Half Way Down, which only has 5 ratings on this site. 

Good Call!  I forgot about Half Way Down.  Mind Over Four is a great, unique band.  
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 18:36
My highest rated Metal album for 1993 is Saviour Machine's debut but probably more Gothic than Metal, but listed under Prog-Metal.

Edited by Mellotron Storm - August 17 2018 at 18:40
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 15:25
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

My highest rated Metal album for 1993 is Saviour Machine's debut but probably more Gothic than Metal, but listed under Prog-Metal.

that's an excellent one :)
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 02:40
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Voivod overrated? How? 

They were popular but every single time I listen all I can think of his how the bands a tier below them in popularity did it better. 1993 was THE year for technical metal pre-ProTools era.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 09:35
Well, call me a Cynic...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 09:40
not really my cup of tea but remember having that Cynic album recommended to me during the battle of the albums contest and liking it.. so a tepid vote from me for that one.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 15:44
One year later, and I'm still the only one who voted for Elements. WTF! That album is a masterpiece!
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>