Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What band has Prog Archives helped you discover?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What band has Prog Archives helped you discover?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What band has Prog Archives helped you discover?
    Posted: August 16 2018 at 13:41
I've been on the site for about a year now.  In that time I have delved deeper in to some bands I was only a little familiar with  (Gentle Giant, Camel, Soft Machine) & discovered some I didn't know at all (Ozric Tenticles,  Big Big Train, Riverside, Caravan..) It's been a fun journey so far. 

So what bands have you discovered as a result of joining the site? 
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 14:03
Haken, Riverside, Big Big Train, Pendragon, Ozric Tentacles all spring to mind. All brilliant bands.

Edited by Hercules - August 16 2018 at 14:04
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 14:10
Too many to name, I typically hear about bands either here, PE, FB or at festivals. I pretty much always come here after that to explore discography, read reviews, check threads and decide where to start exploring. Some that spring to mind include Thinking Plague, Miriodor, Chrome Hoof, Hyrrokkin, Secret Chiefs 3, Cardiacs, elephant9.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 14:29
It would be easier to mention the names of bands I knew before finding this site (Genesis, King Crimson,Zappa, Gentle Giant, Spock's Beard, Brand X, UK, Dice, Lift, Kayak...that's about it I think) than naming the ones I've found because of the site. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 14:46
^ Same, I knew Pink Floyd, Focus, Gryphon, ELP, some King Crimson and Frank Zappa, Tangerine Dream, Can, some Genesis, Van der Graaf Generator, Rush, Gentle Giant, Camel, some Cardiacs, one Henry Cow song.... Not much.

Way, way too many to name that I discovered thank to this site. Before I joined this site, I spent a year trying to familiarise myself with the categories and music here (spent countless hours doing that). I knew very little before then, I was pretty ignorant. I used the service we had for listening to tracks from a great many albums throughout the categories. When a track sounded interesting to me, then I would investigate further.   I quickly found an affinity for certain types of music here. I've also received many great recommendations from people here.

While I have found a lot of music outside Prog Archives through my own research, I still ultimately owe much of that to my time spent on Prog Archives as it set those kinds of musical interests and associations in motion (and I used to like to find music to suggest for Prog Archives inclusion). I don't use the database to discover bands now, and I haven't for over a decade, but I still discover music at PA thanks to certain posters in the forum.

If I hadn't found PA, I don't know what I'd be listening to or doing know, but I think I might have had a much more productive life. ;)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 14:56
Mostly lesser known bands, like some of the electronic genre, or the Italian and Swedish scene. I would say it's a lot of bands, hard to mention or remember exactly.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 14:59
I originally came to PA to help me find more music outside of the UK and English speaking world; I have taken a punt on so many lps on what I have found here and on recommendation and most of it has been a joyous illumination.

noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 15:01
Lots of Itailian bands or artists from Italy.    My list of such bands as PFM and NOVA has grown enormously since the 70s...Big smile....  Italy has to be one of my favourite countries for Prog.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 15:02
Over the years - probably hundreds.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 15:14
PA is my main source of prog groups discovery so far. May be one or more new group per week. I've been very active in purchasing prog CDs for five years now (an average of one per day) because I had not enough time to spend hearing music before my retirement. PA has been a very usefull source of information to complement my old collection of prog vinyls from the 70s (and earlier).
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 15:26
Too many to mention from both classic and post-classic periods. I limit myself to a dozen of my recent favourites and bands that topped my contributions to AotY lists:

Anekdoten, Big Big Train, Discipline, Deluge Grander, Hamadryad, Gnidrolog, Neal Morse, Alejandro Matos, Akt, Echolyn, Days between Stations and Nine Stones Close.

Edited by someone_else - August 16 2018 at 15:26
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 15:49
many ... many ... many ...

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 16:00
Motis, bébé!
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredyair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 16:23
Too many to count. I was out of the prog music loop most of the eighties and nineties, and in Argentina a big chunk of groups from the seventies never reached our shores, so imagine all the music I was missing.
Long live Progresive music!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 16:48
I've been hunting and gathering prog albums since '75, first at the import sections at Tower Records and later at the more esoteric import sections at Rasputins, Amoeba & Streetlight Records.  The bands below came directly from researching the PA database and trying them out.  I consider some major finds and get frequent listens*, some still under investigation, some just OK, but all worth spinning from time to time Wink 

Amenophis 
Ash Ra Temple
Astra
Atmosphera *
Bacamarte *
Bobby Beausoleil
Brainticket
Bubu *
Caravan *
Carpe Diem
Jose Cid 
Circus
Clearlight
Jean Cohen-Solal
Druid
England 
Et Cetera *
Edgar Froese *
Fuhrs & Frohling *
Gazpacho
Goblin 
Haken *
Harmonium
Michael Hoenig *
Jean-Michel Jarre *
Kaipa
Magma
Mastadon
Memoriance *
Nightwinds
Nil
Oniris
Pentacle *
Pierrot Lunaire *
Plat Du Jour
Quarteto 1111 *
Ripaille
SBB 
Gunter Schickert
Solaris
Synopsis *
Tantra 
Terpandre
Igor Wakhevitch
Wallenstein 
For Nobody's Bush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote For Nobody's Bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 18:12
I have been following this site every day for a few months, and it is always a revelation. Just to name a few off the top of my head Phideaux Riverside Wigwam Mastadon and countless I keep forgetting.. Right now I am listening to Land's End, another cool find!
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 18:22
Many bands, but one is more special because of the sub-genre. I mean, I would have never listened to Opeth if not because of PA reviews. I like prog-metal, but the extreme metal with growling vocals has never been my cup of tea. However, after reading PA reviews, I discovered a great band. As of today, Blackwater Park remains their masterpiece.
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 18:26
Honestly so so so so many, it'd take forever to name all of them, but a few favourites include The Dear Hunter, Ozric Tentacles, Kayo Dot, Sieges Even, Oceansize, iamthemorning, and The Decemberists. All are now some of my favourite bands, but I never would have discovered them without PA. Also Cardiacs and Beardfish are two worth mentioning.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 18:56
I can't remember any specific bands since I hear about them from a few different sources, but most of my discoveries on PA come from browsing the Italian, Canterbury or Zeuhl categories. For whatever reason, I don't tend to browse the other genres for "hidden gems" like I do those, even most of my favorite artists probably fall under Symphonic.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 19:56
too many to name
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>